wish list for the next powerbooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    I hope to god they dont bring back curvey plastic cases, they are out of style and look cheap compared to the metal finishes, the trick is just making them more durable.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Dual G6, 256MB graphics. 16x ExtraSuperDrive, 400GB hard drive, 19" 16:9 display, FireWire 800, USB 2.0 (7 ports), 4lbs, .5" thick, black metal, blue-glowing Apple logo, slot-loading floppy drive, built-in Zip/Orb drive, GPS, surround sound, DVI and $1,199.

Anything less than that, and I'm going to have to switch to a PC because time is money and I'm an important professional, and I won't settle for anything less.

That just isn't good enough, lets revise

Dual g6, 1GB graphics, 48x dual layer super drive, 1TB hard drives with option for RAID 5, 4 FW 800, 3 FW 400, wireless speaker/headphone option. And the rest is ok...oops we for got the TV tuner and mini card reader. But the size is perfect
  • Reply 23 of 43
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    I think we better get the in screen speakers...notebook speakers suck!
  • Reply 24 of 43
    now that the powermacs have been updated, and new imacs look pretty good, when will powerbook revisions begin dominating the rumor mill?
  • Reply 25 of 43
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    My 12er wish list

1. Lighter, the thing is a brick, I want under 3lbs

2. Brighter TFT screen

3. Higher resolution

3. No media drive

4. 1/2 inch thick

5. PCMCIA, Compact Flash or SD memory slot

6. More then 2.5 hours battery

7. No metal case
  • Reply 26 of 43
    zarafazarafa Posts: 20member
    I'm of slightly-mixed mind about this, but in general I wouldn't mind seeing a small "auxiliary display" on PBs. This concept was demonstrated for PC/Windows notebooks at the last WinHEC conference, and you can see examples here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...nhec_proto.asp

I think careful use would have to be made of this so it doesn't become *too* feature-laden (thus defeating the whole minimalist auxiliary display concept in the first place), but it strikes me that Apple already has an almost-perfect example of what they could use here: the iPod UI.

Users could play songs via iTunes, get iCal reminders, see battery life, check 802.11 signal availability, and similar things from a small LCD.

I'm unsure how the authentication and the multi-user concept would be handle, but those problems are probably solvable with some thought.

###

As with [seemingly] nearly everyone else, I really hope the screen quality improves. Higher resolution and brigher screens are a must. I see PBs displayed next to various PC laptops at a local computer store, and it's kind of appaling how dim the screems look in comparison, especially since almost all other components of the PBs are done so much better than their PC brethren.

EDIT: fixed a typo
  • Reply 27 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What ever would Microsoft do without Apple?

Some of those windows just seem...oh, familiar?

Anyone seriously think Longhorn would look one damn bit different than Windows 2000 had OS X (shadows, transparency, metal, rounded corners, large photorealistic icons, etc.) never come on the scene?

Me neither...
  • Reply 28 of 43
    I believe that what we need is a Centrino style approach with with the Powerbooks. I know the new 7447 chips have some kind of frequency scaling but what the Powerbook needs is complete integration of wireless internet, low power scaling, 12-cell Li-ion battery, 400Mhz FSB and 2MB of L2 cache. I am really impressed with the new Dothan Centrino chips as the are far more efficient than their Pentium 4M counterparts but are a lot more powerful. If these features are integrated into the G4 plus the addition of a good video card (not the intel extreme graphics crap)like the Radeon Mobility 9700 (which I know is in todays PBs) would yield longer battery life, more efficient processing of data and ultimately augment the user experience. I think that today's G4 is really dated however, I do believe that the G4 has a long life ahead of it if these modifications to the chip's architecture can be made. While they are at it, why not double the altivec units? Think of the speed up!
  • Reply 29 of 43
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zarafa

I'm of slightly-mixed mind about this, but in general I wouldn't mind seeing a small "auxiliary display" on PBs. This concept was demonstrated for PC/Windows notebooks at the last WinHEC conference.

I was thinking about this too - although I always thougt it was developed by Intel -, and I wonder when the first notebooks with this feature will come to market.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

My 12er wish list

1. Lighter, the thing is a brick, I want under 3lbs

2. Brighter TFT screen

3. Higher resolution

3. No media drive

4. 1/2 inch thick

5. PCMCIA, Compact Flash or SD memory slot

6. More then 2.5 hours battery

7. No metal case

1. The 12" iBook is 0.3 lbs heavier. Its weight is related to its Alu. housing. (See my #7)

2. Agreed

3. Yes, but not to the eyeball killing extent that Dell's laptops have.

"3." Ummm, yes/no. I understand why: your #4. But I've seen the Dell's with the external drive connection. Not pretty. Take the Latitude D400, for example. However, it's still roughly as thick as the AluBook.

4. It'd be nice...

5. Nope, no need. I just pack an adapter. PCMCIA for what? Everything I need is integrated already.

6. Yes!

7. \ Sorry, no. Plastic equals iBook, even if both might have a G4 in them. Ladies like the bling.

Screed

...Okay, I apologize for the "bling" thing.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    how about integrated video projection? makes a white wall a large monitor or good for mobile professionals?

if you could project a 50" screen then watching movies on the road might be cool depends upon power consumption but it might be more appropriate than using the lcd.

http://www.upstream.fi/index.html
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by macaddict74

I believe that what we need is a Centrino style approach with with the Powerbooks. I know the new 7447 chips have some kind of frequency scaling but what the Powerbook needs is complete integration of wireless internet, low power scaling, 12-cell Li-ion battery, 400Mhz FSB and 2MB of L2 cache. I am really impressed with the new Dothan Centrino chips as the are far more efficient than their Pentium 4M counterparts but are a lot more powerful. If these features are integrated into the G4 plus the addition of a good video card (not the intel extreme graphics crap)like the Radeon Mobility 9700 (which I know is in todays PBs) would yield longer battery life, more efficient processing of data and ultimately augment the user experience. I think that today's G4 is really dated however, I do believe that the G4 has a long life ahead of it if these modifications to the chip's architecture can be made. While they are at it, why not double the altivec units? Think of the speed up!

I think you nailed it, the powerbooks should be heading in that direction, keeps them thin and sexy and lasting for hours

just like i like my women
  • Reply 33 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The great Tim Allen put it best when he said "MORE POWER AOR! AOR! AOR!"
  • Reply 34 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peter North

...just like i like my women

INFLATEABLE POWERBOOKS FOR ALL!
  • Reply 35 of 43
    how dare you
  • Reply 36 of 43
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peter North

I think you nailed it, the powerbooks should be heading in that direction, keeps them thin and sexy and lasting for hours

just like i like my women

it's a pitty though that it takes men 3 minutes to drain their battery

and it takes hours to recharge.

(unless you're a teenager. draining: 30 seconds, recharging: 1 minute)
  • Reply 37 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Well, it looks like the 7448 is coming. The last in the G4 line. If it's 90nm, it probably won't have appreciably higher clock speeds. But it will be small enough that Apple could go dual core.

Dual 1.5GHz PowerBooks, anyone? Sure, it's not the beast pscates demands , but I think it would be quite serviceable. You can't really complain about an update that gives you a 50%-80% real-world performance boost...
  • Reply 38 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Hi Amorph;

Don't discount the potential for much higher clocks form the 7448 if it is 90nm. There is enough information floating about now to safely say that IBM rushed to 90nm and that the process that the 970 was built on is not optimized for low power.

Given the rather good results that Intel has gotten with Dothan, some informaiton that TI just released and one can still have hope for high clock rates and low power. Of course one does not know how good Freescales process will be at 90nm but atleast there is hope that it is optimized for power.

As I see it the bigger concern about the 7448, built on any process, is the FSB. Will it have a seperate memory interface, new FSB, or a huge cache. Dealling agressively and smartly with the FSB issue could leave us with a very nice performance upgrade.

As to a SMP Powerbook - bring it on. All it really needs is to be servicable when running off a battery. If they can deliver such a machine then they need to get to it as fast as possible.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Well, it looks like the 7448 is coming. The last in the G4 line. If it's 90nm, it probably won't have appreciably higher clock speeds. But it will be small enough that Apple could go dual core.

Dual 1.5GHz PowerBooks, anyone? Sure, it's not the beast pscates demands , but I think it would be quite serviceable. You can't really complain about an update that gives you a 50%-80% real-world performance boost...

• Reply 39 of 43
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    I'd like to see a little LED meter on one of the sides that indicates when you're in a wireless hotspot. This should work when the 'book is closed, of course.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Hey, Amorph I was wondering if you know any more details about the 7448. Sounds very interesting indeed.

Thanks