clinton and 69 er uh 60 minutes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Fo paw? Isn't that when a southerner gives something to his dad?
  • Reply 22 of 87
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Fo paw? Isn't that when a southerner gives something to his dad?

Depends on where in the South you're from, which class you belong to, and how old you are. Seriously. Both of my Grandmothers say/said "fuh paw," while other members of my family will say "fo."

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 23 of 87
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

With that said, I think Clinton ought to be considered the exception when it comes to communication. No one, in my lifetime (which includes both Bushes, Reagan, Carter, and Nixon) comes anywhere close to being able to communicate like him. Not even Reagan, who could read the hell out of a speech, but didn't possess the ability to "hold forth" that Clinton can.

Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of the American public really likes that ability to "hold forth". We have a strong anti-intellectual streak in this country. A lot of our voters are more comfortable with "folksiness" than intelligence.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I totally made a fopaw the other day, when I served pork ordervs to some jewish frends. Damn!

Did you spill them on 'em or something?
  • Reply 25 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of the American public really likes that ability to "hold forth". We have a strong anti-intellectual streak in this country. A lot of our voters are more comfortable with "folksiness" than intelligence.

You're telling ME? I'm a "pointy-headed academic" on the front lines of America's anti-intellectualism, where it is generally assumed that because I'm an academic, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 26 of 87
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Aside: Once, I had a student who, at the end of some major point, exclaimed in the essay "And WALLAH!" Ugh.

With that said, I agree with groverat. I missed the interview last night, but I've been watching Clinton speak lately whenever I get the chance. Did anyone see that 2+ hour speech he gave to kick off the book tour? MY GOD. The man spoke for over two hours, without notes, weaving together personal and private history, holding forth on political campaigns from the 19th century at length. Just astonishing, his intellect. It was like watching a Graham Swift novel get composed on the fly.

With that said, I think Clinton ought to be considered the exception when it comes to communication. No one, in my lifetime (which includes both Bushes, Reagan, Carter, and Nixon) comes anywhere close to being able to communicate like him. Not even Reagan, who could read the hell out of a speech, but didn't possess the ability to "hold forth" that Clinton can.

And Grover: While I agree with you that Joni Mitchell is the appropriate songwriter in this case, I would suggest "They paved paradise and put in a parking lot" as the lyric. Just my preference.

When Hillary was still a student, she talk to one of her best friend after her first rendez-vous with Bill. " I have met a fantastic guy, one day he will become the president of united states"

Of course the other girls rolled her eyes and shaked her head in disapointment .

We all know the end of this story. It's clear that this man, have some genius in him.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Quote:

Aside: Once, I had a student who, at the end of some major point, exclaimed in the essay "And WALLAH!" Ugh.

With that said, I agree with groverat. I missed the interview last night, but I've been watching Clinton speak lately whenever I get the chance. Did anyone see that 2+ hour speech he gave to kick off the book tour? MY GOD. The man spoke for over two hours, without notes, weaving together personal and private history, holding forth on political campaigns from the 19th century at length. Just astonishing, his intellect. It was like watching a Graham Swift novel get composed on the fly.

And Grover: While I agree with you that Joni Mitchell is the appropriate songwriter in this case, I would suggest "They paved paradise and put in a parking lot" as the lyric. Just my preference.

So tell me. From all those speeches Clinton gave during his presidency or from any of his interviews and press conferences, what are some of the most memorable things he actually said during his presidency? What will people remember 50 years from now? I know what people think of when remembering famous Reagan quotes. Ditto for Truman, FDR, JFK...
  • Reply 28 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

So tell me. From all those speeches Clinton gave during his presidency or from any of his interviews and press conferences, what are some of the most memorable things he actually said during his presidency? What will people remember 50 years from now? I know what people think of when remembering famous Reagan quotes. Ditto for Truman, FDR, JFK...

Unfortunately, for the next 50 years, it'll be just two things:

1) "It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is"

2) "I did not have sex with that woman, Ms Lewinski"
  • Reply 29 of 87
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

" I will focus on the economy like a laser beam. "

" It's the economy stupid. "

Here's a place you can go for them :

http://www.quoteworld.org/author.php...ferson+Clinton

Having nice little chestnuts from a famous president is nice but I think actions speak louder than words. I think he will be remembered for them more than anything ( yes even the bad actions ).

He's a much better speaker than Dubya.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    To which I would add that his two inaugurals are brilliant, just plain brilliant, and will be ignored until the fire-breathing clinton-hating folks get their panties out of a bunch.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    The History Channel suggests that this one, about US military intervention in Haiti is one of the most memorable. Scroll down near the bottom.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Hence the origin of this thread.

Anything more than a few declarative sentences, delivered with the faux earnestness that characterizes the homilies of the right ("I don't know much, but I know this: God didn't make the greatest country on earth just to see it run down by a bunch of eggheads", cue wild cheering for sticking it to the eggheads) is, perforce, bullshit.

It's part of what makes it so hard to have a real political discussion in America. A nuanced thought, a shade of grey, a complex response to a complex circumstance, all if it is perceived to signal a lack of solidity in the speakers heart.
  • Reply 33 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

[B]Anything more than a few declarative sentences, delivered with the faux earnestness

Dude. It's "fo."
  • Reply 34 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

" I will focus on the economy like a laser beam. "

" It's the economy stupid. "

Here's a place you can go for them :

http://www.quoteworld.org/author.php...ferson+Clinton

Is that where you went for your quotes? Or were those the first things you thought of when I asked the question? Be honest now.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Take your pick.... (BBC News).
  • Reply 36 of 87
    Quote:

To which I would add that his two inaugurals are brilliant, just plain brilliant, and will be ignored until the fire-breathing clinton-hating folks get their panties out of a bunch.

Yeah, it was all a plot by the VRWC.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    Quote:

Yeah, it was all a plot by the VRWC.

Yup. And they need to get their friggin' panties out of a bunch.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Dude. It's "fo."

or even better:

Yo its 'fo'

\
  • Reply 39 of 87
    Quote:

Yup. And they need to get their friggin' panties out of a bunch.

Clinton's presidency is what it was. He did some good things and he did some bad things. He owns responsibility for his own failings not somebody else.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    Quote:

Clinton's presidency is what it was. He did some good things and he did some bad things. He owns responsibility for his own failings not somebody else.

That's naive. Get your panties out of a bunch and go tell that, what you just said to me, to everyone you ever hear complain about Bush and the liberal media.