QT APIs Rewritten!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Good ol' froody over at ArsTechnica says this :

Quote:

just a quick note, haven't had time to read the whole thread but here's my input:

CoreImage ROCKS!!! It takes a list of the effects you want in a stack, and then optimizes them for successive effects that can be implemented in one operation on the video card, so yeah, it's heavily optimized and kicks ass.

They also seem to have taken alot of feedback on quicktime, completely re-written the API, so now you can make a video player in interface builder with no code whatsoever, and you can do cool stuff like map H.264 onto a surface as a texture, and do anything else with that surface that you chould normally do in OpenGL, I'm assuming you can also map CoreImage filters ontop of this either as a texture filter or for the whole scene. Very very cool stuff, totally blown away. I just left a session on the performance tools and they've had alot of work too

ps CoreImage doesn't work on anything below nvidia FX cards of the radeon 9600, which is gay, no cool ripple effect in dashboard for me

QT7 is coming!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member

Good find! This is big news. Kickaha will go dancing through the streets when he sees this (and I want video footage!).
  • Reply 2 of 23
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned quickly during Steve's keynote. He could have just said something like "H.264/AVC will be part of the rewritten QT" or something.

10.4 is starting to look like the definitive OS...I said that about 10.3 but developers are really getting lots of toys to play with in 10.4 and users will really start getting some powerful apps.

Anyone that skips buying 10.4 either can't afford it or just doesn't realize how good 10.4 will be...since most of the huge changes are behind-the-scenes changes that will only show up in new Apple apps or new 3rd-party apps. Though, IMO, Spotlight is worth $129 right there.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    Yeah, I'm of the opinion that CoreImage and CoreVideo were the 2 most impressive announcements during the Keynote yesterday. The implications for developers is really astounding. I really dig the fact that all of the effect/filters/transitions are nondestructive as well.

The question I have is, if Motion is going to be released soon, does this mean that there will be a CoreVideo/Image update for Panther? I assume not, that Motion just has some of the code libraries, which won't be available system-wide.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that CoreImage and CoreVideo were the 2 most impressive announcements during the Keynote yesterday. The implications for developers is really astounding. I really dig the fact that all of the effect/filters/transitions are nondestructive as well.

The question I have is, if Motion is going to be released soon, does this mean that there will be a CoreVideo/Image update for Panther? I assume not, that Motion just has some of the code libraries, which won't be available system-wide.

Motion will probably just have some custom private version CoreImage/Video inside its app bundle or installed somewhere but that'll probably the only app that will have CoreImage/Video capabilities on 10.3. But I don't really know.

But back on topic:

Being able to build a movie player in xcode with relatively no code? That's got to mean that QuickTime Player will probably drop the whole "Pay to get fullscreen and editing capabilities." Anyone with 4 minutes to spare will be able to whip up an app that views movies in fullscreen and slap some CoreImage effects on them.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Isn't this what you and I were saying was going to happen, Amorph?

Core* isn't *quite* a replacement for the QT API... YET. For *our* purposes, at least... we need sequence grabbers and such (using the old QT terminology) which I don't see in Core* *yet*...

I suspect QT7 will be a thin API layer over Core* that is more workflow oriented... of course, that begs the question "What about cross-platform capability??" Are they going to really try and port Core* to Windows? eek.

Or maybe QT will stay more or less at the 6 codebase for cross-platform work, and Core* is the Mac replacement for QT7. Who knows?

But yeah... *DANCING IN THE STREET*
  • Reply 6 of 23
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Can you guys imagine a Core Image and Video powered iPhoto and imovie!!

These apps will not be crippled anymore. iPhoto becomes the poor mans Photoshop. Goodbye Elements!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

Can you guys imagine a Core Image and Video powered iPhoto and imovie!!

These apps will not be crippled anymore. iPhoto becomes the poor mans Photoshop. Goodbye Elements!

Hell yes! I expect nothing less for iLife 5. In fact the faster Apple gets developers into using the new APIs the faster the perception changes about speed.

Just as today you wouldn't want to benchmark Adobe's After Effects against Motion, tomorrow you won't want to benchmark any CI/CV based app against a windows counterpart. Longhorn won't be doing this stuff until 2007 perhaps. We've got a great headstart.

I have to admit I was pretty gobsmacked by Phils demo. I knew Core Image would be cool but anyone saying it's not hasn't seen the keynote and really thought about the ramifications.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    ...and they wrote 'Funhouse' in a week by one bloke?

Stuffs alot of basic Photoshop. Makes it look so '90s.'

(Adobe, don't ever pull Photoshop...Apple will be waiting for you...)

Lemon Bon Bon

• Reply 9 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Seems that only now is Apple confident in producing public APIs for large chunks of the system underneath.

For a few of us, CoreImage looks more like TIFFany for everyone. All that's missing is brushes!

I loved Jobs' comment that he wished Adobe would just use CoreImage for Photoshop, the implication being that they did a better job with the guts than Adobe did. Certainly, I think Jobs knows that all that PS code that is Windows-centric (redundant buffering and whatnot) is what makes OS X seems lower at this point. It's true of other apps of course too.

So? are we saying that QT is "dissolving" into constituent technologies in Tiger? With Apple angling QT as the best kept-secret in iTunes and so forth (next to WebObjects of course ), this might make QT much less cumbersome on Windows and the revised APIs would probably make it more feasible for to bring QT to other *nixes.

I bet now we know why Keynote 2 has been so long in coming.

Just when MS was getting close to Quartz Extreme, Apple injects some nitrous oxide into the fuel.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Seems that only now is Apple confident in producing public APIs for large chunks of the system underneath.

For a few of us, CoreImage looks more like TIFFany for everyone. All that's missing is brushes!

I loved Jobs' comment that he wished Adobe would just use CoreImage for Photoshop, the implication being that they did a better job with the guts than Adobe did. Certainly, I think Jobs knows that all that PS code that is Windows-centric (redundant buffering and whatnot) is what makes OS X seems lower at this point. It's true of other apps of course too.

So? are we saying that QT is "dissolving" into constituent technologies in Tiger? With Apple angling QT as the best kept-secret in iTunes and so forth (next to WebObjects of course ), this might make QT much less cumbersome on Windows and the revised APIs would probably make it more feasible for to bring QT to other *nixes.

I bet now we know why Keynote 2 has been so long in coming.

Just when MS was getting close to Quartz Extreme, Apple injects some nitrous oxide into the fuel.

Is TIFFany still being developed? Man, if that app cleaned up it's GUI and added CI/CV, we'd have one Photoshop alternative nobody could ignore.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Is TIFFany still being developed? Man, if that app cleaned up it's GUI and added CI/CV, we'd have one Photoshop alternative nobody could ignore

No but Stan Jirman (one of TIFFany III's developers) works for Apple. As much as I'd like to see what Apple could do with photo editing I don't think it would be wise to ruffle Adobe's feathers here.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, technically, Caffeine is out of business, and there is no support for TIFFany, but Stan and company did update the app for Panther even after their doors closed, and made it available for download.

I already replied to hmurchison's post at Ars that I think this is Caffeine Software getting the last laugh, as CI sounds like how TIFFany was structured with its engines and actions plus its emphasis on a batch/process workflow. I mean, the only things basically missing are brushes and marquees.

www.caffeinesoft.com
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I'm also wondering what Adobe is thinking. CI in iPhoto and you have most of what the average user would want with Adobe Elements. The new iLife and Keynote are going to rock. All this offcourse makes Appleworks look like a fossil. I kept thinking during Phil's demo that he was showing off what could be part of a new AppleWorks.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

10.4 is starting to look like the definitive OS...I said that about 10.3 but developers are really getting lots of toys to play with in 10.4 and users will really start getting some powerful apps.

And they are getting them in what appears to be an unprecedented 6-12 months advance of the OS release to customers, so there ought to be plenty of Tiger-ready applications ready to go by then.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    It seems rather evident, to me anyway, that Apple is taking any/all of the technologies they have in QT, iMovie, iPhoto (which are really just QT applications anyway) as well as their pro applications and driving it down into the OS. In a couple of years they'll have a nice, solid, unified, shared code base for much of these application's functionality.

Very cool.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Good find! This is big news. Kickaha will go dancing through the streets when he sees this (and I want video footage!).

In HD useing H.264 no doubt
  • Reply 17 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I'm also wondering what Adobe is thinking. CI in iPhoto and you have most of what the average user would want with Adobe Elements. The new iLife and Keynote are going to rock. All this offcourse makes Appleworks look like a fossil. I kept thinking during Phil's demo that he was showing off what could be part of a new AppleWorks.

If steve wasn't bullshiting when he said that bill gates and him had lunch and have a great corprate relationship, then I say with great confidence that appleworks is dead, so long as M$ office is around, apple will not touch it...unless there is a major falling out.

...or could steve be setting bill up for the ultimate "Rope-A-Dope"?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If steve wasn't bullshiting when he said that bill gates and him had lunch and have a great corprate relationship, then I say with great confidence that appleworks is dead, so long as M$ office is around, apple will not touch it...unless there is a major falling out.

...or could steve be setting bill up for the ultimate "Rope-A-Dope"?

Actually, I'm not sure that I agree. Look at CoreAudio, Video and Image. Apple has been doing the same kind of thing with technologies for an office suite. The word processing technologies are there.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, did no one else catch that TextEdit will now support Word tables?

That means that table support is almost *ASSUREDLY* in the underlying libraries... which anyone can use.

One step closer towards breaking the Word monopoly.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

That means that table support is almost *ASSUREDLY* in the underlying libraries... which anyone can use.

The feature list for the next version of Nisus Express should pretty much sum up new text features available to all.