Howard Stern not welcome in Texas!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I don't understand why you people are defending Howard Stern. Some of his commentary on the air is the most misogynist crap I have ever seen.

And Michael Savage is all sweetness and light by comparison, right?

Here is just a sample of some considerate, high minded right wing, conservative thought.

From the May 11 Savage Nation:

Savage on what should be done to the Iraqi prisoners:

And I think there should be no mercy shown to these sub-humans. I believe that a thousand of them should be killed tomorrow. I think a thousand of them held in the Iraqi prison should be given 24 hour -- a trial and executed. I think they need to be shown that we are not going to roll over to them. It won't happen. It won't happen because of the CBS Communists. It won't happen because of the CNN traitors. I won't happen because of the MSNBC empty heads. And we the people are the ones who are going to suffer today. ...

Instead of putting joysticks, I would have liked to have seen dynamite put in their orifices and they should be dropped from airplanes. How's that? You like that one? Go call somebody that you want to report me to, see if I care. They should put dynamite in their behinds and drop them from 35,000 feet, the whole pack of scum out of that jail. Thank you CBS. Thank you New Yorker. Thank you Carl Levin. Thank you Ted Kennedy. Thank you Hillary Clinton. I'm sure that Mr. Berg's parents appreciate what you've done for them. I'll be right back.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Rightly so or not, I sense that this guy is simply venting a lot of frustration towards those who seemingly wish to put up every single possibility of letting terrorists and enemy combatants get away scott free.

Getting more back on topic, the Howard Stern matter is really not one to genuinely join the political circus. HS seems to have guided it there out of necessity, rather than a casual desire to participate. Bush and the powers that be have threatened his job and livelihood for something as little as speaking his opinion on things (which happen to be anti-Bush, oneday). This has brought an onslaught of crap his way. So he is only compelled to then advocate for the encumbant. Otherwise, I'm sure he could really care less which party seizes the presidency. He just wants to do his show in the manner he desires.

I'm really split on the issue. HS seems to have swung from being behind Bush to being utterly against. In doing so, he has dove into the murky malaise of advocating the left- in effect, he has become a puppet/mouthpiece to the left. I enjoy his show, but I feel his swing has ended up a bit extreme, which does no one good. I feel his objectivity on the matter has been compromised, but at the same time, I can't really blame him. That's what you got to do when the righteous-Christian Bush decency-bots are breathing down your neck.

He's since back on via Viacom in the previously cancelled 6 venues plus 4 new regions. So the fort seems to be holding with lost ground regained for the time being. The question is how much further he will pursue, if he needs to pursue, if he is even barking up the right tree, or just go back to things as normal. One thing's for sure- the FCC needs to seriously be tied down. It is causing much havoc in treading so far outside its charter.

...can't wait for the Nicole Ritchie interview to show on E! Das hot!
  • Reply 23 of 39
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK this guy is obviously a troll but a few things.

Quote:

I don't understand why you people are defending Howard Stern. Some of his commentary on the air is the most misogynist crap I have ever seen.

Existence you know I'm with you buddy out here in the left but hehe..."some of his commentary on the air is the most misogynist crap I have ever seen." Don't you mean heard?

besides, it's like Voltaire said! "I might disagree with what you have to

say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Hah. Imagine that! American ideals, based on a French philosopher! How about that, Common Communist!

Oh hey, and why can't it be Comman Woman?

Quote:

Stern can say whatever he wants to say within legal limits without being halled away by the Gov

Dude are you not even using Safari? It has a built in spell check. It's hauled, not "halled."
  • Reply 24 of 39
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

OK this guy is obviously a troll but a few things.

Existence you know I'm with you buddy out here in the left but hehe..."some of his commentary on the air is the most misogynist crap I have ever seen." Don't you mean heard?

besides, it's like Voltaire said! "I might disagree with what you have to

say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Hah. Imagine that! American ideals, based on a French philosopher! How about that, Common Communist!

Oh hey, and why can't it be Comman Woman?

Dude are you not even using Safari? It has a built in spell check. It's hauled, not "halled."

Voltaire didn't say it. It was attributed to Voltaire because Evelyn Beatrice Hall "quoted" Voltaire in a book called Friends of Voltaire pub;ished in 1906.

The quote is
    Quote:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Look up Stephen (or S) Tallentyle I believe. That was the pseudonym used by Evelyn Beatrice Hall.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Common Man

Right Jubelum and if this market rejects Stern or anyone else, they are gone. If the market accepts him and his rating are good, then he will stay.

By "this market" and "the market," I can only assume that you mean Clear Channel Communications, the happy fun media conglomerate that wuvs us!
  • Reply 26 of 39
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I listen to that talk station sometimes as I'm driving in to Houston and I remember one caller comparing Michael Moore to a pedophile.

This is not the cream of the intellectual crop we're talking about here. Lots of armchair generals, lots of macho bravado, lots of "patriotic" ignorance.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

By "this market" and "the market," I can only assume that you mean Clear Channel Communications, the happy fun media conglomerate that wuvs us!

He means the United State of Texas. You know....hub of the world. Setters of standards. Where women need to carry guns for protection but can't legally buy a dildo. (Own more than 6 and it's a Class A misdemeanor. Yup.)

Texas gals, please come to Boston for the spring time...
  • Reply 28 of 39
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

He means the United State of Texas. You know....hub of the world. Setters of standards. Where women need to carry guns for protection but can't legally buy a dildo. (Own more than 6 and it's a misdemeanor. Yup.)

Texas gals, please come to Boston for the spring time...

You don't need to tell me. I lived in Oklahoma for 8 years, a state that makes Texas look positively enlightened.

My (oblique) point was simple that in terms of media, there simply is no such thing as "market forces" anymore.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    A lot of college profs have been misquoting Voltaire then!
  • Reply 30 of 39
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Common Man, since when does chronicallybiased.com speak for all Houstonians? And for that matter, since when do you speak for all of Texas? As far as I'm concerned, Howard Stern is welcome anywhere he pleases (yes, even Texas). *

* although why he would want to come here is anyone's guess...
  • Reply 31 of 39
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

A lot of college profs have been misquoting Voltaire then!

Yep, probably every American govm't teacher (or most at least).

[edit]

NaplesX mentioned something the other day about how he kows the media has an inharent liberal bias. This is one of billions of examples that something the people know is wrong.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    Gee, Stern has the number 1 morning show in Dallas!
  • Reply 33 of 39
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Common Man

I'm not spamming for clicks. That website is affiliated with a local radio station and contains material concerning the things I think about. I am in no way affiliated with that site.

Fine, but how come it is the ONLY website that you link to?

For someone so opinionated you seem to have a very limited reading list.

Did you ever think to question why your local radio station hates Stern? It's because everyone is listening to him and not their boring right wing infotainment.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I'll tell you why people are defending Stern:

It's because the myth of how horrible his program is has become so hilariously overblown it's enough to make you double over laughing.

Yes, it can be mysogenisitic and sexist and this and that. The thing is people relate to many of the things Stern thinks and says but choose not to conduct themselves in the same way.

Most of Stern's program is dialogue between friends. And if people would lighten up a bit, they'd find the obvious humor behind most of what they arbitrarily choose to be "offensive."

If you don't like it, don't listen. If your child accidently hears something you think is inappropriate, try being a good parent and teaching and explaining things to your child instead of taking the easy way out and trying to shield them from everything.

To tell someone else how offensive Stern is is the same thing as telling them their grass isn't green enough. It's arbitrary, and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, you can't make your neighbor make is lawn greener. There are millions of people who freely admit to listening to Stern and being comfortable in doing so. There are even more people who pretend not to like it even though they listen (and statistically those people listen longer than people who admit to being fans of the show.) The people of Texas can fight to keep Stern off the air all they want, and I respect and support their right to do so. But WHEN a station chooses to pick up his show, there's going to be a whole lot of Texans listening in.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

yes, but he has the RIGHT to say it wether you like it or not, take away that right, then you wouldn't have to right to say what you want, or if you don't like something either....
  • Reply 36 of 39
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    I listen to Howard sometimes. Sometimes he says some interesting stuff (can't remember it though) But I think once he became a cult icon and people started listening to his stuff like it was the ultimate truth he started getting weird. Now I think he only says stuff just to stay in the news.

Remember, this joker is only in it for the money. Maybe he does believe in some or all of the things he says but d oyou think he'd be doing it if he weren't getting a nice healthy paycheck?

Bottom line: It's only entertainment. It's all about they money. Take what this guy says with a grain of salt.

I mean, when he got taken off the air did anyone care?

Turn the radio off. Read a good book.

Peace!!
  • Reply 37 of 39
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Common Man -- You are helping Howard Stern by giving him the publicity he doesn't deserve. Howard is a moron and should be ignored as such.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

...do you think he'd be doing it if he weren't getting a nice healthy paycheck?

Yes I do.

Why?

He was doing this long before he became ultra famous. Doing this is what got him ultra famous, it didn't come after his fame.