Apple needs to update iPod to stay on top?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    They really need to work on the voice recording too. As it is it writes to the HD every 2 minutes. Ok I can see the reasons behind that but at the same time that's a lot of spinning up of the HD when it could buffer up to half an hour in memory before writing.
  • Reply 62 of 87
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Sounds like that can do both.

1. Increase RAM buffer to 64 and fix Audio Book issues

2. Add voice recording direct to RAM buffer.

I don't think Apple has to go gaga to keep the iPods selling. Hell even without these features Apple is heavily behind the backorders. It's seems incredibly daft to think that if Apple doesn't add xyz feature sales will suddenly tank.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Well, they finally fielded a decent hardware design. The quality of the interface is still to be determined.

Indeed. I tried to use my friends 1.5 GB Creative MuVo^2 but it was way behind usable. A little thingy with 4 buttons in one does not work. And 850 songs? Maybe if you like to listen 64 kbps WMA. He got a bit less than 300 mp3's on it. By my calculations, using 160 kbps mp3 4 minute long songs, you could fit 327 songs on it.

http://creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=8980

Even 300 songs can be quite hard to select, if you have such a small display.
  • Reply 64 of 87
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    on the subject of what "apple needs to do" vs. What apple is going to do...

The subject of "what apple needs to do" is based upon the idea of free suggestion. Here is a user group that is trying to feed back their best ideas for free to a company that they believe in. Kind of the cult of mac.

On the subject of what apple is going to do -pure speculation and tough to maintain over the long haul considering the dearth of info from cupertino.

Apple hates leaks we love em. However, leaks give the competition a chance to get their product to the market first and steal the thunder from apple.

on the new ipod - Rendevouis should be included - the airport express is kick ass and with some way of broadcasting the music to your friends from your ipod, that would be a nice evolution to the product.

• Reply 65 of 87
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I wanted to mention my experience with the RCA lyca.

When I first saw the Lyca the first thought that came to my mind was "Apple is in big trouble". This thing looked so awesome and it was portable in most cases. It wasn't as big as I imagined. My buddy was all excited about it. He thought it was the best thing ever. He showed me some pictures and showed me some cool features. I messed around with the interface for a while and it seemed to work ok.... It took him 5 tries to finally get it connected to his PC. I started laughing. Then we got into the car. He puts this puppy in and every single song sounded like crap. There was background distortion from his engine coming through the speakers. (this is the default connector that comes with it). There was static popping in other times too when we would hit bumps. So that was just when he could get songs to play!! 1/2 of the songs wouldn't even play. He would get read errors from mp3s.

I have to admit I will never not be faithful to the iPod again. This truly showed me that apple has their ducks in a row and are so far ahead of the game in every way. All the iPod needs is a battery upgrade and bigger harddrives once in a while. Perhaps a color screen for amusement but it isn't a deal breaker. If the colored iPods (cases) are true then I think that is even better. Though I think that changeable cases would be a better idea. I would definitely buy a green or blue one if they had one.
  • Reply 66 of 87
    Well here's some of what they have done.

Longer battery life is there. Up to 12 hours now. Seems like more is coming because the 60 GB version isn't there yet and it's slightly smaller.
  • Reply 67 of 87
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Sounds like RCA just has a bunch of "chickens in a row".
  • Reply 68 of 87
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    They got the price down. Score one major hurdle. Just a matter of time before the mini is 199.

And they've improved the battery life.

Second major hurdle.

That's very impressive to me. And will keep the alsorans at bay.

If they really wanted to do something sweet with it, and cheap, they'd integrate a good quality mic.
  • Reply 69 of 87
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

If they really wanted to do something sweet with it, and cheap, they'd integrate a good quality mic.

easier to leave that to third parties. it allows more freedom for their smaller design and an external one likely produces better results than any internal mic would anyways. a line in is a whole other story. id like to see that.
  • Reply 70 of 87
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Looking at the tech specs at www.apple.com/ipod not much seems to have changed.

Apple gets a D-.
  • Reply 71 of 87
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Apple gets a D-.

The far superior click wheel and 50% better battery life aren't good changes to an already sweet product?

Get a grip man
  • Reply 72 of 87
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Apple gets a D-.

It is evolution rather than revolution. Price drops, software improvements and a better battery. I, for one, am happy Apple took this route.

Solid A.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    its a shame the new features are not backward compatible with earlier ipods (or the mini).

they say the battery isn't bigger, just more efficient use, so why can't us existing users have that!!
  • Reply 74 of 87
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Apple gets a D-.

if we're handing out grades, i'll give it a solid B. especially if it still fits pre-existing docks, and griffin's itrip among other things. it's gotta drive third parties nuts when apple keeps moving things around (especially ipod "skin" manufacturers). edit: but such is the peril of the parasitic business model... if the host dies, or changes dramatically, so do you.

anyway, i know that 50% extra battery life is software related, so i have to think they can migrate that downward eventually. what where is that 60 GB model? we KNOW apple bought those drives. is 60 GB big enough to justify an iPodAV model? hmmm...
  • Reply 75 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

they say the battery isn't bigger, just more efficient use, so why can't us existing users have that!!

Nah according to Greg Joswiak the battery itself has a larger capacity and there are new components that I assume use less power. The software probably takes advantage of that hardware more efficiently. That said there's no reason they can't transfer over the better menu system.
  • Reply 76 of 87
    Quote:

Apple gets a D-.

What reasoning would have you give it a D-!?

They have added some cool features, such as shuffling, better playlist abilities, longer battery life, ability to speed up audio books, a click wheel, rapid-recharge, are you nutz?

I actually give it an A-. They could have included a dock with the 20gb model. Only feature that is absent that I was hoping for was colored screen. But it isn't any where close to a deal breaker since there isn't a huge need for it.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

What reasoning would have you give it a D-!?

They have added some cool features, such as shuffling, better playlist abilities, longer battery life, ability to speed up audio books, a click wheel, rapid-recharge, are you nutz?

1. shuffle has always been there. they just moved it to a top level option. a simple software change that can be done to all iPods

2. on the go playlists are alright, i welcome the addition of more, but again, just a simple software update

3. battery...yes

4. audio book changes.... yes (although software update)

5. click wheel...yes

6. rapid recharge has been there since day one, and i believe it used to be 1 hour rather than 2.

so, overall, most changes were software related. it's a good update in that it solidifies the current iPod's existing strengths and features. but it's not a good update to entice people who already own iPods. And while prices may have been cut. The entry price did not change. And that's what matters
  • Reply 78 of 87
    Rapid recharge still is 1 hour (80% charge in 1 hour).

The 4 Hour additional battery life would be a biggy for me. (you forgot to mention that).

But again, giving it a d-!! Come the F*** on! No other mp3 player comes close in ease of use and design. Give it a little more credit.
  • Reply 79 of 87
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Rapid recharge still is 1 hour (80% charge in 1 hour).

The 4 Hour additional battery life would be a biggy for me. (you forgot to mention that).

But again, giving it a d-!! Come the F*** on! No other mp3 player comes close in ease of use and design. Give it a little more credit.

Some people expected it to have "fricken laser beams" and act like a Star Trek tricorder . To that end I guess Apple failed to deliver.

What would have been stupid is if Apple added every whim people desired and wound up evolving the iPod out of the matket it is so popular in. Instead they wisely chose to evolve the iPod and its software.
  • Reply 80 of 87
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Apple gets a D-.

Whiner.