TdF 2004

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    I was never excited about the Tour until I watched Lance win it in Paris. Seeing the end of that race was very emotional for some reason... patriotism maybe, or just the way the media had hyped Armstrong's return.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I predict that by next saturday Lance will have the yellow jersey locked up.

i was watching espn last night and they were their condescending best making fun of the sport (as they do with soccer) in general and making fun of the riders hard to pronounce names, and he ends the piece with "lance has some catching at the first break last year he was blah blah blah"

espn, what idiots.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The next stage or two will sort most of that out. I hope they are enjoying their day off.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Quote:

The next stage or two will sort most of that out. I hope they are enjoying their day off.

The Pyrenees, I figure Armstrong knew exactly how far he could afford to fall behind last week, which would put him at an advantage for the mountains.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    It's not even that complicated. O'Grady finished almost 3 hours behind Lance last year. Sandy Casar and Piil Jacob were 3 hours and 20 minutes back.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Unless he falls ill or from his bike (can you even make these kinde sentences in English?) it looks like an easy win for Armstrong, so for the sake of making a somewhat risky prediction i'll say he wins it with over 3 minutes ahead (unless Hamilton is xceptionally strong, that's the only 'unknown' for my in the race by this point).
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Ullrich never looks bad. He just never seems to have it when it's needed. This year could be his year.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Could be, but i don't believe it (and i'm actually rooting for the guy). Ullrich can never beat armstrong in the time trial on L'Alpe-d'Huez so it's only in the final time trial over 55km where he could make a difference. Armstrong has a very strong team, has a 1'20"(?) lead, the number of really heavy days is limited this year, he looks better than last year and his competitors don't seem willing to work together against him.

My prediction:

1. Amstrong

2. Hamilton

3. Ullrich
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Todays finish was heartbreaking. The two leaders got caught just about 20 meters from the finish line. Seemed to me if they had sent less time looking back in the last 100 meters and more time pumping they would have had it.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Todays finish was heartbreaking.

truly

But it kept me watching on the stairstepper at the Y for over 45 minutes . .. usually I just warm up before running and weights for 13 minutes . . .

sad to see them blow it like that
  • Reply 31 of 66
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Basso won today just ahead of Armstrong. CSC´s tactic with a one-two paid of. I´m still dissapointed that Piil didn´t a stage. But just like last year its amazing to see them make a presence almost every day.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Wow Lance really bit into them today. Thomas Voeckler is amazing.

1 129 VOECKLER Thomas FRA BLB in 51h 51' 07"

2 001 ARMSTRONG Lance USA USP at 05' 24"

3 162 CASAR Sandy FRA FDJ at 05' 50"

4 101 VIRENQUE Richard FRA QSD at 06' 20"

5 017 KLÖDEN Andréas GER TMO at 06' 33"

6 061 BASSO Ivan ITA CSC at 06' 33"

7 071 MANCEBO Francisco ESP IBB at 06' 43"

8 066 PIIL Jakob DEN CSC at 06' 53"

9 023 GONZALEZ Santos ESP PHO at 07' 23"

10 067 SASTRE Carlos ESP CSC at 08' 11"

11 002 AZEVEDO José POR USP at 08' 35"

12 151 LEIPHEIMER Levi USA RAB at 08' 50"

13 025 GUTIERREZ José Enrique ESP PHO at 08' 51"

14 029 SEVILLA Oscar ESP PHO at 08' 57"

15 009 RUBIERA José Luis ESP USP at 08' 58"

16 011 ULLRICH Jan GER TMO at 09' 01"

17 064 JULICH Bobby USA CSC at 09' 11"

18 196 SCARPONI Michele ITA DVE at 09' 25"

19 114 GONZALEZ GALDEANO Igor ESP LST at 09' 42"

20 021 HAMILTON Tyler USA PHO at 09' 46"
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Hamilton out

Mayo tries to abandon and his team mates make him get back on
  • Reply 34 of 66
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Where's a good site for updated info?

Here's what I would consider a decent article. I'm not tour crazy, just bicycle curious.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    LA Times wants registration and I don't feel like doing it.

Another good english language site is Velo News
  • Reply 36 of 66
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

LA Times wants registration and I don't feel like doing it.

Another good english language site is Velo News

User: appleinsider

Password: appleinsider

Might work.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    God damn that LA Times registration process it pure torture. That article was okay. At least it didn't fall into that "Lance is losing by 10 minutes" trap.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    My prediction was off. They way Voekler's been going I wonder if Lance can get him in the next stage? After wednesday he'll be in yellow for sure.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So it looks like he did well today, and is going to win again.

The crowds just seem ridiculous - it's like playing basketball with a bunch of fans running around on the court patting the players on the back as they shoot.

Quote:

At the bottom of the climb, crowds completely covered the road, parting only at the very last second as riders hurtled toward them. Some fans ran alongside the bicycles, waving flags that came close to catching handlebars or wheels. Others were slow to move aside, forcing riders to swerve.

• Reply 40 of 66
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

So it looks like he did well today, and is going to win again.

The crowds just seem ridiculous - it's like playing basketball with a bunch of fans running around on the court patting the players on the back as they shoot.

watched this morning. the crowds are out of control. i don't know what the rules and tradition is, but there were many near misses today. and lance gets a pretty rough time from people who feel the need to run along side and pat him on the back or run in front of him with a flag.