TdF 2004

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    My favorite today was the guy in the blue speedo, running in front of Ullrich (I think), it looked like Jan was trying to run him down.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

watched this morning. the crowds are out of control. i don't know what the rules and tradition is, but there were many near misses today. and lance gets a pretty rough time from people who feel the need to run along side and pat him on the back or run in front of him with a flag.

There is always stupid people to run with the champions. There was ten years ago. The TV speakers repeat years after years to not do it, but the tdf is so popular, that there will be always foolish people to run with the cyclists.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Somehow it just seems very typically European to let people get up so close. They could easily interfere with the race and change the outcome, but c'est la vie! In the US, we take our sports much more seriously.

• Reply 44 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

... because all you need when you're racing towards the finish line is some guy to step out, just to your right, giving you the finger.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Go don't see that on a golf course
  • Reply 46 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Somehow it just seems very typically European to let people get up so close. They could easily interfere with the race and change the outcome, but c'est la vie! In the US, we take our sports much more seriously.

No rider would take advantage of another rider if something like that would happen.

I'm always amazed at the sense of fair play these guys hold for each other. Their sense of ethics on the course is only rivaled by golfers.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Like in the Ryder Cup?

Cyclists tend to have a code of honour. I think of moments such as when Armstrong went over the handlebars when he got tangled up with a spectator. Ullrich and other riders slowed to ensure he could rejoin the group.

Or even Mayo who wanted to quit this year and was pushed along by other riders not from his team. He later quit, but that's another story
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Like in the Ryder Cup?

Good point, that was a shameful day. and it even was more so because they were golfers and normally have a strong sense of fair play.

It's hard to feel sorry for colin montgomery though he brings out everyones deep seeded hostilities. Must be his man-boobs.

Was it when LeMond got sick about ten years ago everyone stopped and only continued after he decided to pack it in?
  • Reply 49 of 66
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

deep seeded

Don't mean to be a boob . . . but isn't that 'deep seated"?

I don't know . . . . 'deep seeded' does make more sense, but I always thought it was deep seated. . . \
  • Reply 50 of 66
    nope my bad, deep seated is correct.

but is it bated breath or baited breath?

my wife's favorite is people who use anxious as a synonym for eager, which i last heard today during a report on the TDF.

athletes and athletic broadcasters are notorious for that one.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

... because all you need when you're racing towards the finish line is some guy to step out, just to your right, giving you the finger.

Just ask Monica Seles. Not all fans are benevolent backslappers.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    She got a slap on the back, unfortunatley with a knife
  • Reply 53 of 66
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

No rider would take advantage of another rider if something like that would happen.

I'm always amazed at the sense of fair play these guys hold for each other. Their sense of ethics on the course is only rivaled by golfers.

But it's a time trail. If someone trips up Lance, Jan can't take 20 seconds off his time to be fair.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

But it's a time trail. If someone trips up Lance, Jan can't take 20 seconds off his time to be fair.

How do the time trials work? How do the differ from the rest of the race?
  • Reply 55 of 66
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Go don't see that on a golf course

Of course, a nice drive in the crowd can kill ...
  • Reply 56 of 66
    I really should check my posts before submitting...

"go don't"?

What a moroon
  • Reply 57 of 66
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

How do the time trials work? How do the differ from the rest of the race?

Everyone starts individually 1 or 2 minutes apart. So Jan Ullrich started maybe 40 minutes ahead of Lance. You're on your own and no one can help anyone else.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Fantastic climb by Virenque to get to the leading group. Pity he did not quite make it to win the climb, but he is looking good for the polka dot jersey.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

God damn that LA Times registration process is pure torture. That article was okay. At least it didn't fall into that "Lance is losing by 10 minutes" trap.

BugMeNot.com
  • Reply 60 of 66
    And the winner is....

LANCE!

again...