Kerry Picks Edwards as His Running Mate

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Clark won one of the debates Anders, he was completely on his game. The thing that killed Clark's chances was skipping the Iowa caucus. Still, he would have made an excellent choice for vice president but Kerry wimped out and went with the populist choice.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I was really hoping Kerry wouldn't cave to the 'populists' by picking Edwards but I was wrong. Wes Clark was back in Manchester, NH today for a rally, and was holding a press conference before a speech on foreign affairs at 11 AM. I thought this might point to him getting some kind of position but it obviously was not Vice President as I had hoped.

Wes Clark, Secretary of State?
  • Reply 23 of 92
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Pres: Kerry

VP: Edwards

Sec Defense: Wes Clark

Sec Labor: Gephardt

Sec Health: Dean

Sec State: Moseley-Braun

Sec Commerce: Lieberman

Sec Edu: Sharpton

Sec Homeland security: Graham

Sec of Energy: Kucinich

Now that would be funny. Heck, the Dems could groom a whole stock load of future candidates this way if they win in November.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Sounds good to me.

About Nader....I hope not many end up voting for someone his own party did not want. This guy's EGO puts Shaq's and Kobe's egos, combined, to shame.

Nader is expired goods. Been expired for 4 years now. We need a third party led by someone new, with fresh ideas who puts the country before his ego, not some old egomaniac who is desperate to stay relevant at any cost.

I like Edwards. I don't mind he's a lawyer. Compared to Cheney this guy's an angel AFAIC.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    Wes Clark cannot be Secretary of Defense due to the seperation of powers act. He hasn't been out of the military long enough.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Wes Clark cannot be Secretary of Defense due to the seperation of powers act. He hasn't been out of the military long enough.

Can you provide a reference to that?
  • Reply 27 of 92
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

So I turn on the TV this morning, and on CNN they've got a graphic up with the Bush/Cheney '04 campaign's talking points about Edwards. Trial lawyer, doom and gloom, tax hikes, soft on defense, etc. That was my first media exposure to Kerry/Edwards.

Ugh. Josh Marshall devoted two posts to it. (1, 2)

...and Atrios fights back, digging up a quote from "St. McCain" on Edwards: "He's got the ambition, the talent and the brains to go very far, to be president of the United States. -Charlotte Observer, 2/26/01"
  • Reply 28 of 92
    The law states:

Quote:

A person may not be appointed as Secretary of Defense within 10 years after relief from active duty as a commissioned officer of a regular component of an armed force.

This is from Title 10 of the United States Code.

http://www.defenselink.mil/ra/rfpb/govstatute.htm
  • Reply 29 of 92
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Im glad Kerry picked Edwards, I like Edwards and he is down to earth. His statement of 2 Americas is so true. Ceo's rack in millions and billions while screwing the working man this has shown itself time after time. corporate greed. all the suites are allways closing down plants, figuring out a way to shaft the common man more while usually getting big fat pay checks. Look at Cheney he is a Vp who is still making big bucks from Haliburton. No wonder they got the Iraq contract with no bidding process. selling a case of cokes to our military for $45.00

I can say one thing about Bush and that is after years of supporting the Republican platform he got me to go out and vote in the Democratic primary. who did i vote for ? John Edwards. Kerry/Edwards will be nice replacement for Bush/Cheney and corporate America. And by the way Edwards was representing the little guy vs Big business as a Lawyer.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Pres: Kerry

VP: Edwards

Sec Defense: Wes Clark

Sec Labor: Gephardt

Sec Health: Dean

Sec State: Moseley-Braun

Sec Commerce: Lieberman

Sec Edu: Sharpton

Sec Homeland security: Graham

Sec of Energy: Kucinich

Now that would be funny. Heck, the Dems could groom a whole stock load of future candidates this way if they win in November.

1) Edwards was the only real pick. Gep. wouldn't really get him anything other than labor, and, um, who else is labor going to support. Gep probably wouldn't even have gotten him MO, which he needs. Edwards puts several southern states in play and gives him a bit of street cred down there with a southerner risen up from poverty to, potentially, the 2nd highest office in the land. Add to this the simply fact that Edwards *looks* young (he's what, 51?!) and is quite energetic. His 2 Americas stump speech will resonate well with Kerry's campaign and, essentially, force the Bush campaign to content with TWO serious candidates. I was honestly surprised that the Bush campaign came out shooting.

I'd have thought a simple "We look forward to a vigorous debate of ideas with these two men who have served their country with distinction." That would be both classy and pregnant at the same time. But oh well. They begin with "This guy? Didn't Kerry say he had no experience?!" I find it difficult to believe that the Bush campaign wanted to begin with an attack on experience, of which Bush had little coming in (and played it to his advantage by absurdly painting himself as a "warshington outsider"). Additionally, it's more than a little dumb to attack Edwards as a veep choice when Bush hired Cheney to find him a running mate and Cheney found...HIMSELF! A man who'd had 4 heart attacks and had left public office for health reasons. But hey, "Bush physicians" Ok'd him to run. And now he's had what, 2? 3? heart attacks?

2) I like everyone in that list except the Leeb and Sharpton. Leeb because, well, he's Leeb. Sharpton ONLY because I don't like him for that position. I'd rather see him as Preznit.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It is hilarious that the campaign for George Bush is throwing around the "experience" and "rich-boy" card.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

It is hilarious that the campaign for George Bush is throwing around the "experience" and "rich-boy" card.

why use real issue when you can throw mud. this is something that's probably going to bite them in the ass if they stick with it.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Big Law is in the ticket.

Good. Anything is a big improvement over organized crime.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Good. Anything is a big improvement over organized crime.

Good one!
  • Reply 35 of 92
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Clark as Secreteary of State?

I wich Edwards would do something about that silck-guy haircut though . . . makes him look like a sleazy car salesman . . .
  • Reply 36 of 92
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

What's the problem with him being a lawyer?

Not that he's a lawyer but a trail lawyer. So he's in bed with the legal industry. You know? The ones that sue McDonalds for making food (and hot coffee), gun industry for making guns, cigarette companies for making smokes, Wal-Mart for employing people, drug companies for selling FDA approved drugs, car companies for making cars ?
  • Reply 37 of 92
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

The ones that sue McDonalds for making food (and hot coffee),

Have you ever actually read that case with McD's and the hot coffee?
  • Reply 38 of 92
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Not that he's a lawyer but a trail lawyer. So he's in bed with the legal industry. You know? The ones that sue McDonalds for making food (and hot coffee), gun industry for making guns, cigarette companies for making smokes, Wal-Mart for employing people, drug companies for selling FDA approved drugs, car companies for making cars ?

No, they're hired by humble citizens such as yourself.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea I have.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Though i voted for Bush( wont make that mistake again) i think you will find this will be one of the nastiest campaigns ever. with such a poor poor record the only thing Bush will be able to do is throw mud. to bad he cant talk issues. Another thing that striked me about Edwards is while all the democrats were throwing mud early on Edwards was above the fray with a positive message and positive outlook. So so disappointed with the Republican right wing agenda and the sorry performance of Bush. He is a lot like Steve Jobs, totally out of touch with the common man, what the working man needs and is sleeping with big business. Look at healthcare,enviroment,energy,Iraq and the list goes on.. just like iMac lcd, George was missing for months and just like iMac lcd he is a failure.