Kerry Picks Edwards as His Running Mate

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

It's not official until the convention since only delegates can pick running mates. There will be a floor fight over this.

One thing is certain, if Edwards does become Kerry's running mate, he won't be getting my vote, especially now since Kerry has come out against abortion.

www.votenader.org

I found this in your link, it's a letter from Nader:
    Quote:

Dear Senator Kerry:

I want to urge you to select Senator John Edwards as your vice presidential candidate.

• Reply 82 of 92
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I'm so sick of the Haliburton bashing.

Because we all know halliburton is just an innocent victim.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    One thing I don't like about the new Kerry/ Edwards team is the new campaign logo. It looks unprofessional with a lightweight serif font and a realistic flag. Also, you can only fit a limited amount of information on a campaign sign. There's no room for a slogan! Look at the effectiveness of the Bush/ Cheney sign.

You can see that clearly from a distance. It imparts exactly what it needs to: easy name recognition. Now look at the new Kerry signs:

I'd like to do these guys a favor by keeping the current bumper sticker on my car:

• Reply 84 of 92
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

One thing I don't like about the new Kerry/ Edwards team is the new campaign logo. It looks unprofessional with a lightweight serif font and a realistic flag. Also, you can only fit a limited amount of information on a campaign sign. There's no room for a slogan! Look at the effectiveness of the Bush/ Cheney sign.

You can see that clearly from a distance. It imparts exactly what it needs to: easy name recognition. Now look at the new Kerry signs:

I'd like to do these guys a favor by keeping the current bumper sticker on my car:

I noticed that right away too.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Frankly SDW, we don't see how you can support Bush. You like Bush, we accept that. But you have to accept that we like Kerry. Some of the reasons that we like Kerry, you won't understand, just like we won't understand some of the reasons that you like Bush. This topic has been beaten to death through hundreds of topics since the primaries began and AO is becoming more and more like a broken record. I highly doubt that people are going to change their mind of who they will vote for because of something they have read on the AppleInsider forums.

That being said, I still want to post my opinion about Halliburton. I feel that Halliburton *should* have had to go through the normal process of bidding for the Iraq contract. Since they did not go through a normal bidding process, they are able to charge outrageous prices to the government for the work they are doing over there. Remember the outrage of how much they were charging for fuel? In what other areas are we being overcharged? This war has cost so much more than originally predicted, with Congress having to come up with more and more money to fund it that at the very least, the American people don't deserve to be taken for a ride by Halliburton.

This war is putting America into a huge deficit that is going to take years to recover from. We have to pay this money back at some point, and that will mean either higher taxes or less government spending on essential areas (education, health care, social security, homeland security, etc.). This is the position that the Bush Administration has put us in and the friends of the Bush Administration (Halliburton) shouldn't be making huge profits off of our tax dollars in this type of situation. If they really loved this country, they'd put it first over their profit margins.

I'm sorry...you've missed the point. I support Bush for a variety of reasons. We can certainly disagree. You, on the other hand, support Kerry because he's not Bush and you don't think Nadar can win. I'd really like to know for what other reason you support him.

On the war, I agree there have been problems with Haliburton. That doesn't make them Satan. I say again that there are few firms in the word that can do what they do.

I agree the deficit is a problem. But, the war is not the entire reason for the deficit. We're spending too much on non-defense related programs. And I don't buy the false dilemma of higher taxes or cuts in essential programs.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

[BI agree the deficit is a problem. But, the war is not the entire reason for the deficit. We're spending too much on non-defense related programs. And I don't buy the false dilemma of higher taxes or cuts in essential programs. [/B]

Of course the war is not the entire reason for the deficit. It's aided, abetted, and ballooned by Bush's tax cuts.

And maybe you don't "buy" the "false" dilemma, but it is a fact that after defense and entitlements, primarily social security and medicare, only about 15% of the federal budget is up for cutting. We could simply eliminate every penny of government spending not in these categories (I guess we could call it "every child left behind") and barely make a dent in the deficit.

That leaves cutting social security (now there's a winning issue), cutting medicare (600 billion new entitlement program heavily weighted to profit big pharma, who helped write the bill) or cutting defense.

It's either that, raise taxes, or live with enormous deficits forever.

What will it be, SDW?
  • Reply 87 of 92
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

And you support Bush?

Yeah who's father in one of his famous out of touch statments saw an optical scanner in a grocery store ( for the first time apparently ) and said : " What a wonderful invention. How long have they had those? "
  • Reply 88 of 92
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

Yeah who's father in one of his famous out of touch statments saw an optical scanner in a grocery store ( for the first time apparently ) and said : " What a wonderful invention. How long have they had those? "

"Vote Kerry. Beacuse he doesn´t have a father who are out of touch"
  • Reply 89 of 92
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

"Vote Kerry. Beacuse he doesn´t have a father who are out of touch"

Sigh.

Anders, Anders, Anders.

I suppose I should have made it more clear. It was in part in response to what Midwinter was replying to : posted earlier by a-greer......

------------------------------------------------------------

" Problem, rich lib, hasnt done a days work in his life. "

------------------------------------------------------------
  • Reply 90 of 92
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    poignant.

So Cheney thinks Edwards is bad because he is inexperienced!? This guy who is a step away form the Presidency is one Quarter Pounder away from a heart attack!

He had his first out of 4 heart attacks in 1978. He had quadruple bypass surgery in 2000. He could probably have a stroke just by looking at a McNugget.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

He could probably have a stroke just by looking at a McNugget.

Just in case he's reading this thread.