New Microsoft iPod Killer --Confirmed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    I think that, if by December 2004, Apple hasn't expanded the current iPod's capabilities beyond what it does now I'm going to be hugely dissapointed.

I need to see that Apple is commited to improving their device. They already made it slimmer, they added iCal syncronization, notes. But I don't think I'll be satisfied if they change the button layout and make it a lil bit smaller.

I want to see them take it one step further. Probably a color screen, visualizations or mini screen savers and iPhoto support would be enough for me to consider like the iPod is heading forward. Having a digital photo wallet would be nice but I'm guessing a larger screen would be necessary. An iSight - iPod link is probably too much.

If by the end of the current year Apple hasn't at least announced such improvements to the iPod or a smiliar device I might as well get a Lyra or an Archos.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Interestingly, TIVO announced not long ago that they would like to get into the "online" distribution of movies within the next two years. Given their recent adoption of streaming itunes through their receivers it may be a sign of a partnership TK. Or I may just be sticking to my namesake, as most would suggest, but I think it's a great idea! Too bad the consumer tech market always moves so slow in adopting new technologies due to their need to recoup R&D costs throughout the entire product life cycle, which is only getting shorter these days, but the companies seem to be doing fine with controlling life cycles with an iron fist. I guess my point is, just because we have the tech to do something (forget about the licensing issue) doesn't mean that corporations will do it. Especially if it means they have to kill other product lines to do so.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Now that is one excellent spoof. I love the ugly purple color. "You seem to be listening to music can I help?" That's too funny. Best Microsoft spoof I've seen in a long time. I just wish they had a back view with like a dozen obsolete cable types.

Or maybe a server to use for storage and retrieval (ahem, that's 8 inches, baby!)

• Reply 24 of 48
    jindrichjindrich Posts: 120member
    there are many ways to waste money and resources building useless tiny movie-photo players with the screen the size of a stamp, or pseudo mp3 players..etc.

However, the time has come for a really demanded product:

An iPod with a (smart) mobile built in.

Nobady wants to carry 3 gadgets when all can be done with a single one (thats why pdas are dead, smart phones killed them).

Is it so difficult to build a product that mixes an ipod/minipod with a sony-ericsson k700/s700 phone?

If apple doesnt do it, somebody will (maybe sony itself). Then who will want to buy ipods? no matter how good the ipod is, if a mobile can play the same role, then the ipod is dead (at least in europe and japan).
  • Reply 25 of 48
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I'd like a way to use one picture frame's worth of space to display rotating pics on an LCD screen. One of these devices plugged into speakers to play music as well would be useful to me. Add a way to connect it to a TV so I can show pictures and movies but make it still realistically portable and I'm all over that. It would be a heck of a lot easier to bring over on the holidays and show the family all the latest pictures, movies, etc.

The trick is how to make it small but still have a non-squintronic display. Maybe if Apple made an LCD equivalent to IBM's butterfly keyboard?
  • Reply 26 of 48
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jindrich

there are many ways to waste money and resources building useless tiny movie-photo players with the screen the size of a stamp, or pseudo mp3 players..etc.

However, the time has come for a really demanded product:

An iPod with a (smart) mobile built in.

Nobady wants to carry 3 gadgets when all can be done with a single one (thats why pdas are dead, smart phones killed them).

Is it so difficult to build a product that mixes an ipod/minipod with a sony-ericsson k700/s700 phone?

If apple doesnt do it, somebody will (maybe sony itself). Then who will want to buy ipods? no matter how good the ipod is, if a mobile can play the same role, then the ipod is dead (at least in europe and japan).

no, I didn't put him up to that post

but I agree completely!
  • Reply 27 of 48
    epyonxeroepyonxero Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

The potential for Apple, in my view, is to add a color screen and an interface with iPhoto. Let's people look at or show off a few pics of the family, or what ever. While movies are out for me it would be nice to be able to download short QuickTime clips. Again, looking at or showing off short clips. I don't think a 30 - 60 minute clip is important, nor is a movie.

This is what I want. I dont need a built-in 8 inch screen, a 2.5" screen (i.e. typical handheld TV size) would be fine for me. Id be able to watch and show others whatever videos I have stored and still keep nearly the same dimensions of a regular iPod. A video out adapter to display movies on regular TVs or 3rd party LCDs would make it very useful IMO.

But I think there are two important features that this device must have before I would buy it. Battery life equal of near the life of a 3g iPod and the ability to play DIVX encoded videos.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    I think there is going to be a finer line between small (really small) portable computers, and cell phones. Anything that isn't one of the two will likely be temporary. One that could be both might be the last innovation for a long time.

If there were a 1 ghz G5 PB the size of a checkbook that could be used as a cell phone when closed, you can forget about iPods, other expensive cell phones, or any other type media player. Imagine how nice it would be if you didn't have to unfold it to make a video call, too. Even with almost no input, but with a dock, or a stand alone, duo dock type.

I can dream..
  • Reply 29 of 48
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Lets do this.

Someone make this mockup:

Regular ipod with an iPod Mini scroll wheel.

This allows for a slightly larger screen which we can make color.

The ipod can view movies or plug into the TV A/V jacks and play it on the tv.

Can play pictures or slideshows the same way.

Internal stereo Mic (positioned in front,top, middle) for recording.

Digital FM radio "or" built in SD-WiFi card for tuning into iTunes radio stations when on a LAN.

That would suit me just fine.... for now.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    Maybe with voice commands, and a tiny hologaphic projector, they could save some space.

A little V.R. technology, and an implant, and we're money.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    video ipod

this is the interface.

only the codec and the DRM are in the way. It can be the size of the current ipod and include a color screen.

http://3gnewsroom.mobiles.co.uk/eye-...es-screen.html
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Real is in on the game with starz

a 3 computer DRM

no ownership of the movie...yet

This is apple's big opportunity

got it in an email today

see below

++++++++

Get over 100 hit movies each month through your computer and broadband connection with STARZ! Ticket on Real Movies!

Download movies FREE for 14 days!

Get great movies -- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Chicago, Gangs of New York and more

After the free 14-day trial, your subscription is only $12.95 per month

No late fees or pay-per-view costs

Download movies on up to 3 personal computers

Please note:

Subscriptions are currently available for purchase in the U.S. only. A 600Kbps Broadband connection is required.

Enjoy your movies!

The STARZ! Ticket

on Real Movies Team

• Reply 33 of 48
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i just don't get what the urge is to get videos onto a portable device...

first, even with my high-speed connection at home, it takes a while to download even a cd's worth of content, much less a dvd's. and i doubt you could use the "well, it can be lesser quality to be smalller and play fine on a small screen." since when have you ever heard "apple" and "lesser quality is acceptable" in the same sentence? (okay, i know i left myself open to a joke or two there, but...)

second, when do you watch these movies? i can't watch movies and drive at the same time. if i am at home, i am not going to sit on my couch and watch it on my video ipod when the tv is RIGHT THERE.

third, it is possible to listen to an ipod and be discreet about it. sitting on a subway car, the ipod in my pocket or backpack, i hear the music, and no one thinks to rip it off from me (heck, they can't even be exactly sure where it is on my person). with a video player, i have to sit there and watch it IN THE OPEN for everyone to see and have it swiped at the first available stop.

the ipod might get a color screen, if for no other reason than "why not?" and please don't anyone DARE say the ipod needs a phone in it. yes, let's do a windows-esque "throw everything in until someone buys it" philosophy, into a market that's so saturated rigth now, i'm surprised i don't get a free cell phone fall out into my breakfast cereal in the morning.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The iPod is successful because it appeals to an audience other then techies. Even to people over 40! Make it too complicated, i.e. add all kinds of features other then LISTENING to music and you not only confuse the user but add to the cost and to things that can go wrong. A color screen is sexy but until an OLED one is available at a reasonable cost, it will drain batteries even more then current ones. The geek market is too small to make products just for them. Simplicity of use and good design are two of the reasons the iPod is selling in my opinion.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Apple will not go beyond iLife with sync'ing features for the iPod, however, they do need to capitalize on this.

iPod Mini (Same)

iPod Express (Same as regular iPod now) up to 40 GB.

iPod Extreme or iPod AV (60-80 GB)

iPod Extreme has the following spec above its current ones;

1) iMovie can export to iPod Extreme.

2) iPhoto can export to iPod Extreme.

3) iPod Extreme can store iMovie in special folder and play it on TV when plugged into A/V jacks on a TV. This can be done by adding a iMovie menu, say under voice recordings, and then allow someone to select it and play it. I don't think it is practical to play the movie on the iPod itself.

4) iPod Extreme can store photos and play them in either standard FF or REW method or play through slide show on regular TV.

With this new product, Apple will make the iPod a true "iPod" allowing its users to take their "iLife's" mobile.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The iPod in no way shape or form should be dealing with video. Any product that Apple creates to try to attack this mythical "portable video" market needs it's own name so that when it bombs horribly it doesn't sully the reputation the iPod worked hard to achieve.

To a few geeks the idea of a portable video device sounds alluring. But folks just look at history. We've had plenty of portable video products. Sony made small TVs that you could carry to games with built in antenna. DVD portable players have been around for years. Yet somehow the fanatic idealists think that consumers will suddenly perk up because the video is now playing off a hard drive. Portable video has never been a seller. The portable audio market dwarfs the video market for good reason. Consumer like having music where ever they go. We work out to it, play it in the background just for filler etc. Video just doesn't have the same impact because it requires you to stare at the screen. Great for large screen presentation and watching the sitcoms at home but when people are on the go..they don't have the ability to dedicate their attention to some video device.

As for the Samsung and Lyra players. In about 15 minutes the 100 millionth iTunes song will be sold. If you're not supporting the iTunes store you don't hold sway.

Last point...video is processor intensive even scaled down to these mini sizes. Plus you cannot buffer video as easily. I expect for some portable video devices to have a lot of drive failures.

Portable Video is a bad idea just like Tablet PC. For all its size and scope PC innovation is far more about marketing some gimmick rather than something of value. It's a shame when a sub 10 billion dollar annual company like Apple can continue to embarass the "other" %97.

Coming soon another crash n burn technology brought to us by our Peecee friends.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    I kinda like the on demand video idea. If i could use it by recording off dtv or better yet hdtv and saving content to my vpod. Perfect for travel on long flights or in the car if you have kids. most cars are on the way to having video screens in them. Integrate this into the car's video system. Look at BMW and think about their SUV with vpod video.

On another note, if apple makes a vpod not everyone will buy a vpod but as long as they keep the ipod open as a product they will have captured the market.

Apple needs to dominate at least one market. MS dominates several with poorly designed products.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    hmurchison makes some great points. I use music everywhere but video capabilities can already be satisfied in a number of other ways in the instances where it is needed.

The current iPod is already satisfactory for storage and transport of video and images but on a pocketable device you can only get so much from whatever size screen can be fit on it. I also think it has already been demonstrated that the small drives used in these devices do nt hold up under constant use.

WARNING: opinion part so please don't take offense if it seems too cynical

Video on demand seems like a separate entity for the most part. It seems nice but even on broadband a full movie in DVD quality can take too long to download to be convenient. If it takes longer than it would take me to drive to the video store then it is crap (total crap with only the benefit of guaranteed availablility to save it). When traveling away from home there just does not exist the infrastructure to make this usable consistently or more convenient than pay-per-view or equivalent. When traveling in a car if I had a portable entertainment system to keep my son entertained I would just tote along his movies or buy some on the way. Kids movies/cartoons are cheap and plentiful. I know I'm taking a dim view of this but video on demand while possible is just not practical yet.

Oddly I have to admit plane flights are one of the few rare instances I can still find time to read a book. I have *never* craved more than that and the escape from video and media can be nice at least once in a while
  • Reply 39 of 48
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    What about the new video format introduced at WWDC this year? I've forgotten its name, however that could make downloading movies reasonable. It's supposed to be 4 times the normal quality at the same bit rate, and scalable to smaller screens such as mobile phones.

Apple has the technology to do this now it seems. However, mobile videos are more of a gimmick, albeit a popular gimmick, such a device would only be really bought for it's 'wow' factor, the iPod although more expensive than rival mp3 players (or so I've heard), is often more practical and is undoubtably the most accomplished mp3 player on the market.

I would give it 2-4 years, now isn't the time to bring out such a device, if it was released now I'd feel the price would be too high for too many people. Consider the technology in the iPod and what you guys in this thread want for this iPod 'AV' you're looking at a hefty price tag.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Microsoft Media Players are now available for pre-order at Amazon. Scroll down about halfway on this page.

Won't this little boys arms get tired about 5 minutesd into watching his favorite Sponge Bob cartoon?