Which PowerMac would you buy now?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am planning to buy a Mac for some video editing. Basically conversion from tapes and TV programs (movies) to DVD with firewire and IMovie and Toast.

Perhaps with a Miglia DVR PCI card compatible with G4 and G5.

Or am I wrong about the picture quality of this card?

And perhaps some sound editing and word processing.

Which Mac has the best price/quality ratio?

The advantages of the G4 are OS9 bootable, more space for hard drives and optical drives, faster results with I Tunes but I assume it will be slower for video conversion.

The G5 dual 1.8 would have been more attractive with PCI-X slots.

When I compare those Macs with the same configuration, the new G5 Dual 2.5 has the best MHz/$ ratio. However, it costs a lot of money.

Personally, I was thinking about the G5 1.8 anyway, because I doubt that I will need the PCI-X technology in the near future. But then I have read that the this G5 1.8 has a slower logic board. Does this only refer to the lack of PCI slots or will this Mac be significant slower when I convert DV files to mp4?

And what I was worried about is the benchmarks of the new G5s posted at www.xbench.com . Perhaps it has to do something with the Energy saver setting, but the CPU benchtest of a G5 2x1.8 and even 2x2.0 is sometimes slower than the G4 Dual 1.25...

Or are the new CPUs of the 2nd generation really slower?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    2.5 is the best deal, or 1.8 the dual 2.0 is in no mans land if you ask me. far behind the dual 2.5 with liquid cooling and only 500 more bucks you get a better video card,better cooling, faster cpu's etc. This was my choice, i figured ill spring for a better videocard then the 9600xt in a year or two. what a monster. this thing eats up Alienwares and spits out iMacs for breakfast. Guess im biased now. Dual G4 whats that? shouldnt be included next to G5s. Look at the specs.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Definitely go PCI-X. Remember PCI is a bus so even if you never add a card anything traversing a PCI bus will take advantage of its speed. Plus you resale value is better because of this as well.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I don't have the cash for the G5 2x2.5 now but it seems that it will be worth waiting another six months until the next price drop...

But would I get better picture quality results with the Miglia PCI card or should I get the firewire version or wait for a PCI-X version instead?

TIA

• Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Hammer Fan

I don't have the cash for the G5 2x2.5 now but it seems that it will be worth waiting another six months until the next price drop...

But would I get better picture quality results with the Miglia PCI card or should I get the firewire version or wait for a PCI-X version instead?

TIA

could be a year like last time, i wouldnt put much weight into itunes. G5 is still running in G4 mode at the moment for most things but this will change with newer OS. When OS is in full G5 mode and apps written for G5 these things will be screaming. my 2 cents. I wouldnt even think of G4 unless its pure budget reasons. G4 is old 4 cylinder running out of gas, G5 is a V-8 and has a full tank. Mac hammer fan any G5 will do what you want. I only want a dual 2.5 because Doom3 is coming
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Any G5 with Dual processor will be faster than a G4 of course.

The single processors are slower than a G4 Dual 1.25, according to www.barefeats.com , www.xbench.com , www.macspeedzone.com and www.xlr8yourmac.com

If someone can assure me that the CPU speed of the new 1.8 is the same as the old one, I will buy the 1.8 because I doubt I will need the PCI-X feature in the near future. And woudn't these PCI-X cards be much more expensive...?

And perhaps PCI Express will become the standard in the next years?

TIA

\
  • Reply 6 of 21
    sorry i dont remember where i saw the bench but they ran the new 1.8 vs the old and it had the same numbers.. what i like about the 970fx is the throttle down feature. no point sitting at a high clock with nothing to do. powersavings heat etc. benches i saw showed the 1.6 single G5 was about equal to the dual 1.25 G4 and the 1.8 was about equal to dual 1.42 g4. Any Power user should stay away from G4 and go G5. Just to mention i was told a july 28th shipping time for the dual 2.5s. hope its right.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    When I win the lottery, I will immediately order a loaded 2x2.5 system. haha However, I'll still get the 8 gigs of memory from Crucial. No point in throwing money away.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Thanks for your answer, the power saving feature will definitely have had influence on some of these xbenchmarks...

I will wait a couple of days before I make a decision to buy a G5 1.8 or a G5 2.5 ...

It seems that most of you guys recommend the faster siblings. ( unlike at www.macaddict.com )

I am happy with the fast replies in this forum.

(at MacNN I still wait on the first reply after two days)

Greetings

MHF
  • Reply 9 of 21
    All i can say is your welcome and watch out for the zealots, some of these guys want nothing but more G4 at low clocks, sorry G4 doesnt cut it. So glad Apple can move forward now that it has G5.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    isilorisilor Posts: 10member
    I've got a nice 1G powerbook for daily stuff, but I'd live a dual G5 for Unreal 2004...
  • Reply 11 of 21
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I've got my eye on the refurb. Dual 2.0 machines. $1999.00 is not too shabby, when you consider they were $2999.00 just a couple months ago.

(aside: I think that actually, your odds of getting a DOA machine are probably lower than with new, since they've got to get re-certified after going through refurbishment.)

CV
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I'm selling my Dual 1.8 if you want Rev A for $2000 w/ a ton of upgrades.

In order to make room for my new 2.5 G5, I'm selling my 2 month old 1.8 G5. If you are interested in a GREAT DEAL please email me [email protected]

PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz w/ Many Upgrades - Excellent Condition !!

Go to the Apple Website and configure this PowerMac G5 and you'll realize it will cost $2,503.00 + Tax & Shipping. Buy this PowerMac and you won't have to pay $175+ in tax!

? Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

? 900MHz Frontside Bus

? 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 4x512 - upgraded

? 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm- upgraded

? ATI Radeon 9600 Pro w/64MB DDR SDRAM - upgraded

? AirPort Extreme Card - upgraded

? Bluetooth Module - upgraded

? 56k V.92 internal modem

? 4x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

? Mac OS X version 10.3 - U.S. English

? iLife 04 (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and Garage Band)

This computer is in Excellent Condition and is New Out of the Box. It has all the offical paperwork and origional packaging. Get a great deal for the "New out of the Box" PowerMac G5!!!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I checked the Graphics test at www.xbench.com and the Geoforce 5200 is faster than the Radeon 9600...

But the latter has 128 MB RAM, twice as much as the Geoforce.

Strange...
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I also voted with my money; I have a dual 2.5 on order.

I had originally planned on waiting to November of this year when the 3.0's would be out? based on Steve's overly optimistic prediction? and buy the midline dual, which hopefully would be 2.75GHZ. However, the way things are going with the 90n chip it's entirely possible that when the 3.0 comes out, maybe at late as next February, Apple's lineup will be 3.0, 2.5 and 2.0. So why wait.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Hammer Fan

I checked the Graphics test at www.xbench.com and the Geoforce 5200 is faster than the Radeon 9600...

But the latter has 128 MB RAM, twice as much as the Geoforce.

Strange...

be very careful what they do is run some stale bench at a low resolution like 640 x 480 and say see its faster, what they dont show is as you turn up the resolution to say 1024 or higher that crappy fx5200 starts dropping frames right away. make no mistake the fx5200 is garbage at anything higher then 640 x 480. xbench does not measure these things correctly. if you want to do that you need a good powerful game and start cranking it up. Fx5200 is cheap to make,cheap to buy for Apple. I would only recommend this garbage card to people who are so boring they dont play any games. inside mac games,toms hardware, barefeats etc all have many benches. FX5200= garbage no otherway around that.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Thanks for your advice.

I have noticed at Barefeats that the Radeon is much better.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Well, despite the lack of PCI-X slots, the Dual G5 1.80 seems to be a better buy than the Dual G4 1.25.

At Lowendmac, this machine was even rated as the best value for money.

http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/04/0609.html

It's a pity that I don't live in the States. I would have bought the Dual G5 1.8 rev A.

• Reply 18 of 21
    Is there anyone who has already tested the G5 2.5 or have a read a review?

How much faster is this G5 2.5 in comparison to the G5 2.0 Ghz?

I assume 25% in CPU. But not in graphics or disk speed, unless you buy the high end NVIDIA 6800...

TIA
  • Reply 19 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd buy the 2.0 with a 6800. You have the PCI-X expansion, and you're ready for Core Image.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    There should be one more choice in this poll, "none of the above." All of the current towers are too darn big and expensive. I'll run my display from a PowerBook until Apple comes up with a better desktop solution for midrange users like me.