[Merged] New "Sleeker" iPods Coming Next Month According to T.S.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Does anyone else think that it's a bad idea to make the ipods Aluminum and colored? The ipod markets itself because people recognize it. Just about everyone knows what that little white gizmo is. If you suddenly change the look of it, people will just think it's another generic mp3 player. It will take a long time for the people to be able to recognize something new. Just a thought....

I must disagree, especially with 1) the success of the iPod mini (particularly the pink one!) and 2) all the advertising Apple does for the iPod. I believe people will do what they've always done: See it on TV and want one, See it in the store and want one. And more specifically: See it on TV, re-associate to the new iPod, go to the store and buy one. 8)

PS. APPLE PLEASE GIVE ME WIRELESS EARBUDS! (I don't care how, just do it!)

$0.02 US
  • Reply 22 of 43
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

$0.02 US [/B]

=$8.00 Australian

iDunno
  • Reply 23 of 43
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Does anyone else think that it's a bad idea to make the ipods Aluminum and colored? The ipod markets itself because people recognize it. Just about everyone knows what that little white gizmo is. If you suddenly change the look of it, people will just think it's another generic mp3 player. It will take a long time for the people to be able to recognize something new. Just a thought....

This I totally agree with. If it ain't broke....

They did it right going from the first gen to the second gen... kept the look, but changed it slightly. And I think it should stay that way. Colours, I don't like the idea of.

iDunno.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

This I totally agree with. If it ain't broke....

They did it right going from the first gen to the second gen... kept the look, but changed it slightly. And I think it should stay that way. Colours, I don't like the idea of.

iDunno.

You may not but I'd be willing to bet it's the most common request they get. I also doubt the success of the mini is on $50 and a slight size reduction alone.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I don't care about colored iPods so long as they keep the white headphones. That way, people will know I'm cool even if they don't recognize my music player. I know iPod sales are good for Apple but it's kind of sad. Now you are not cool if you don't have an iPod, where before, having a Mac was unique and made you cool/interesting. I don't know if I'm making sense. Having an iPod makes you like everyone else, and if you don't have one there is something wrong with you. Before the iPod it wasn't like that with Apple products.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    For what it's worth a major retail chain in Australia has been told they won't be receiving any more of the current iPods and new stock will arrive in August.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Must keep white headphones so that your teenage friends know you're part of the "gang"? Good old infantile "peer pressure". I thought this was passe these days.

In any event, Think Secret now says (7/17) that new iPods are coming Monday. Here's info.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    YES!!!!!! Posibility of new ipods Monday. My waiting for now 7 months for 4th generation ipod maybe has finally paid off. I will not tweeked if there is no colors and the same size. With the prices having the possibilty to drop that means we could still see the 15 GB still around and mini prices dropping.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If ipod prices drop, I predict:

$199 MINI!!! $150 for students, they will be as common as pencils on college campuses!!!
  • Reply 30 of 43
    yvensyvens Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

An interesting thing to think about when imagining iPod working with iPhoto and iMovie, is the fact that it is a Windows device also. How will Apple handle this? Would having Mac only features hurt sales in the Windows world? If they offer the features, would they support some similar software on windows, or should they port iLife? Remember most iPods are sold to Windows users. For now, with iPod selling like ice water in hell, it might be unwise to unleash the ?yeah, but this and that don?t work with Windows? thing.

>Would having Mac only features hurt sales in the Windows world?

I don't think so, because today is already the case. You can do more with an iPod and a Mac than a PC and a Mac.

To use easly the Ipod's Calendar you need iCal and a sync which are running only on Mac.

To use easly the Ipod's adress book you need Address book and a sync which are running only on Mac.

Moreover Belkin has sold a memory card reader for the Ipod. Why not an integrated solution ?

With something likes : If you have iPhoto, it can synch with your Ipod, if not (PC), takes the photo from the HD's iPod.

it works in both cases, yes better on the mac by what ? You want iPhoto ? heu do you want a mac too
  • Reply 31 of 43
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Looks like the original scoop on thinksecret for the iPods in August could be for an iPod mini update, bigger drive, orange and purple colours. The white iPod update on Monday (allegedly) looks like it will make them thinner, with the iPod mini click wheel, and possibly cheaper.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    A mini update with larger drives is very suspect. Has anybody paid attention to the fact that Apple has been unable to keep up with orders. Listen to the conference call. They said they would not be able to fullfill orders through the end of the year. Hitachi has not indicated that they have a larger drive coming yet nor being able to keep up with current demand of ther 4GB drive. We may see more color choices for the mini. A price drop? I don't think so. You don't lower prices when people are clamoring for a product and that product is in short supply and the market shows the price is acceptable. I think the updated white iPod may have a "color" wheel. Obviously it will be similar to the mini's since Apple has an exclusive on the design with a patent pending. A standard scroll wheel is not an Apple exclusive.

Look for 20, 40 and 60 GB models with pricing at $199, $299 and $399 (the last wishful thinking perhaps). We'll know Monday... or Tuesday. Keep tuned.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Apple will lower the price of the iPod mini soon. The only reason demand is exceeding supply is because supply is messed up. If Hitachi had their supply issues taken care of, the mini demand would not be an issue. If the drive supply got taken care of and Apple lowered prices of the mini by $30-$50 then they would be enormous sellers, even more so than now.

Otherwise, the iPod classic can not drop in price too much, or else it will destroy mini orders.

The mini needs to be $200. The iPod classic needs to be $275 and up.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Anybody know if the new 4G iPods will be eligible for Apple's Cram and Jam promo? I would *think* it is, since the fine print of the promotion lists " any Apple iPod (except iPod mini M9434LL/A, M9435LL/A, M9436LL/A, M9437LL/A, and M9160LL/A)" as an "eligible product". Hmm.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Ummm. There are currently no 4G iPods, only rumors. When they come out I'm sure you'll be able to find out whether the promotion includes them, don't you think?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Sure it was, just not to the masses. I've always known that if you choose to use a PC at home instead of a Mac, and it's not because you're a serious gamer or you have specific software requirements, then there's definitely something wrong with you.

Unless your only Mac experiance is the piece of crap that passed of OS 8 on macs built for system 7 at school, if not for my going to a place that sold apple a couple of years back, and seeing OSX 10.1, I would still be scaufing at osx, not saveing up to buy it.

Unkempt macs in the edu market made a lot of kids (who are now young adults) loath them...
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Someone is not going to be happy

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Se...0717_COVER.jpg

Maclawyer
  • Reply 38 of 43
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Ummm. There are currently no 4G iPods, only rumors. When they come out I'm sure you'll be able to find out whether the promotion includes them, don't you think?

I was only looking for another set of eyes to read the disclaimer (fine print) of the current Cram and Jam promotion-- just to see whether it limits someone to 3G iPods only (specific model numbers, etc). I don't think it does because, again, it says "any iPod except..." and the 4G iPod model numbers are (obviously) not listed as an exception. Since the promotion runs until the 25th of September, it seems that as long as the new iPods are available for purchase before that, they are included.

But, yeah, thanks for the clever response.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Sorry for m facetious response. But you really bark up the wrong tree when you ask information from a rumor site, even if it is on a forum. Honestly we know nothing about future products until they are released. Any one here that says they do is, well, not telling the truth. It's the old " I have a friend, who has a friend who's girl friend knows the janitor at Apple and he says....".

Sometime today or tomorrow Apple will post info on the new iPods (we know this because Newsweek broke the story via an exclusive with Apple). Hopefully you'll get the answer you want. Cheers.

• Reply 40 of 43
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The least impressive update yet. They added 5 gigs, the click wheel, and a few hours of battery. That's nice, kind of wished they lowered the price. They still haven't added a lot of features however. I don't know why they weren't there in the first gen and can't believe they still aren't in the 4th.

-LINE IN/MIC. People want it. Lots of other players have recording. This would be sweet for college classes. Man by the time they add it I'll be outta college!

-64 megabyte buffer memory instead of 32. Perhaps this is how they upped the battery but if not, then why not?

-FM radio! That'd cost oh about a few bucks, and be nice to be able to record off radio and in to MP4 on the iPod in real time. I bet record labels would be pissed though! There goes the iTMS. That's probably why it's not there. But that always pissed me off how Discmans didn't have a radio in them. Walkmans (Walkmens?) did 20 years ago so where the hell is radio on iPod a $400 device? A transmitter might be nice too, but that's kind of an add-on thing I guess. I'm def getting an iTrip when I get a new iPod.

-Open the stupid Pixos OS! It took a looong time just for 3rd parties to add a mic and other gadgets that should be built in anyway. I don't see why they don't opensource or at least allow more access to the iPod OS. They sell the hardware not software. They need more 3rd party development on the iPod and more deals like the one with HP.

-HE-AAC

All these posts about color screens and bluetooth, GPS, WiFi, are ridiculous. No space, power, or need. Color pictures on a screen that size? But if they opened the Pixos OS then a developer could write something that let iPods plug in to TVs to display picture or video, or this would perhaps be over FireWire with a hardware add-on. It would be neat if iPods had a headphone jack that was really a video jack like iBooks have, with that 3 ring 1/8" mini jack and could play video or picture out to a TV. But I don't know if there would be space for the required chipset inside the iPod. But I imagine in a few years there will be and that would be cool. See, the screen itself on the iPod is not big enough for video or even color pictures. But I carry my iPod around a lot and am usually near a TV.

Eventually it'd be cool to add a phone to the iPod but I don't know if there would ever be space or a way to keep the design simple. I think it would be cool but add too many features and buttons. Perhaps Apple will someday come out with a phone that shares some features of the iPod but I can't see that happening for a long time. Besides it would majorly piss off Motorola and a few other big companies! Can't see it happening basically. Just like a PDA it'd be cool but probably not profitable and so it won't happen.

And now look at the mini. $50 more for another 15 gigs that's just a little bigger!??? I assume the mini will be updated shortly since for $50 dollars you get 15 gigs, more battery, and only slightly larger.

I don't know if that iPod Etiquette thing is new but it's hilarious!