[Merged] New "Sleeker" iPods Coming Next Month According to T.S.

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

The least impressive update yet. They added 5 gigs, the click wheel, and a few hours of battery. That's nice, kind of wished they lowered the price.

They do have a lower priced product.

Quote:

-LINE IN/MIC. People want it. Lots of other players have recording. This would be sweet for college classes. Man by the time they add it I'll be outta college!

Maybe eventually, but why now? They are selling they can make (and they can't make them fast enough). Obviously the product is what most of the market wants.

Quote:

[B]-64 megabyte buffer memory instead of 32. Perhaps this is how they upped the battery but if not, then why not?

Maybe, but who cares. The real metric people care about it the battery life. Perhaps this is how...perhaps not. No one really cares how...just that they did it.

Quote:

[B]-FM radio! That'd cost oh about a few bucks, and be nice to be able to record off radio and in to MP4 on the iPod in real time. I bet record labels would be pissed though! There goes the iTMS. That's probably why it's not there. But that always pissed me off how Discmans didn't have a radio in them. Walkmans (Walkmens?) did 20 years ago so where the hell is radio on iPod a $400 device? A transmitter might be nice too, but that's kind of an add-on thing I guess. I'm def getting an iTrip when I get a new iPod.

I think radio is dead (for me anyway). My iPod is my radio. I don't think this is a very likely feature...and even if it does happen it certainly won't have recording functionality.

Quote:

-Open the stupid Pixos OS! It took a looong time just for 3rd parties to add a mic and other gadgets that should be built in anyway. I don't see why they don't opensource or at least allow more access to the iPod OS. They sell the hardware not software. They need more 3rd party development on the iPod and more deals like the one with HP.

They don't own Pixo so they can't open source...and they won't anyway...but an SDK would be good. Maybe they don't want to for other reasons. Hacking? No worries of blowing developers away with major new OS changes? I don't know. The thing is an appliance.

Mini update seems at least a few months away.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    I don't expect iPod mini drive capacity increases, but I do expect the price to drop to $199, as soon as the demand slows.