Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Comments

• Reply 141 of 484
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jimzip

Haha.. You just ripped that from that japanese site..

Yes, LOL!

Er ... hopefully the PM G5 design variants are not close to the all new

iMac design in spe. The entire design seems way too technoid. iMac customers do want Elegance. Simple. And these mockups are everything but

elegant.

BTW, nobody mentioned any possible changes concerning the

KEYBOARD. Do you guys think it is quite possible that apple

builds something like the scrollwheel ala iPod into the new iMac Keyboard?

That would make great sense to all iApps.

What do you think?

my2c
  • Reply 142 of 484
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Sizes? 15/17/20/23/30.

Yes! The consumer model definitely needs a monitor which alone is in the 2000 - 3000 $ range. Will sell like hot cake.
  • Reply 143 of 484
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Yes, LOL!

Er ... hopefully the PM G5 design variants are not close to the all new

iMac design in spe. The entire design seems way too technoid. iMac customers do want Elegance. Simple. And these mockups are everything but

elegant.

BTW, nobody mentioned any possible changes concerning the

KEYBOARD. Do you guys think it is quite possible that apple

builds something like the scrollwheel ala iPod into the new iMac Keyboard?

That would make great sense to all iApps.

What do you think?

my2c

I think the likelihood of the keyboard being updated with features like that is pretty low. Tacking on extra non-standard controls to a standard keyboard reeks of the PC side. You are more likely to see a two button mouse (and that will be shortly after Hell organizes its own hockey team).
  • Reply 144 of 484
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    How about something along the lines of eXentia?
  • Reply 145 of 484
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

How about something along the lines of eXentia?

Er ... apple customers seek elegance. This "elonex thing" is far away from beeing elegant, it is quite the opposite. I assume nobody really wants that bulk sitting right on their desk.

nice try
  • Reply 146 of 484
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Cnet is reporting that the new iMac will look nothing like the current one and will a brushed aluminum finish ala PowerMac possibly similar to what lucida posted above - that's a very barebones illustration people, remember that).. No proof is offered just an "informed source". In a month we'll know and the usual gang will complain, etc.
  • Reply 147 of 484
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Er ... apple customers seek elegance. This "elonex thing" is far away from beeing elegant, it is quite the opposite. I assume nobody really wants that bulk sitting right on their desk.

nice try

That's why I said "along the lines". By the way, this thing can host a 3.2 GHz P4 (their site includes up to 3.0 GHz P4). I saw this model today in person and, although a little bulky for the taste of a Mac user, it is rather nice with a very bright display. Unless the iMac3 is something radically different (and I don't know how could this happen), it seems that such designs are already tried. Now it remains to see what Apple's talent can pull out in the design sector.
  • Reply 148 of 484
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

I think the likelihood of the keyboard being updated with features like that is pretty low. Tacking on extra non-standard controls to a standard keyboard reeks of the PC side. You are more likely to see a two button mouse (and that will be shortly after Hell organizes its own hockey team).

Actually I heard not long ago that Apple is designing a two-button mouse. But we'll leave that to another thread.

Jimzip
  • Reply 149 of 484
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

here's a mock up:

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/outsider/imacg5.html

That's not bad - I imagine the plate which is supporting the monitor slides up and down to raise and lower the display, right? (maybe it slides in a telescopic manner)

I like the perforated metal theme linking it to the PowerMac. The concave curves are a little 'retro' looking, might be harder to manufacture.

Also, no built-in speakers. External speakers are better because (a) consumers expect to be able to position and replace them (the fact that the eMac and old iMac have them notwithstanding) - it's a cheap and easy upgrade, and (b) offices expect to leave them off.
  • Reply 150 of 484
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

nice try

It may not be very elegant, but it DOES have some nice features and the demo movie shows a few things that I think the iMac2 can and should have done a little better:

1. Interaction is not first and foremost via a keyboard! Unlike most of the QWERTY-centric folks in these fora, most people don't like getting music and entertainment via a keyboard. The keyboard is there for most websurfing and email and that's about it. Obviously mom may do word processing and kids do homework, but as with the iPod, the spokes of the digital hub will not be tied to the keyboard anymore than necessary.

2. Touch screen: I have always hoped that Apple could engineer touchscreens very cheaply into their crt iMacs and eMacs to give them that cool "standard feature" and to make them more approachable to toddlers, etc.

3. Quick starting: I don't know if the gui in the video is MSoft, but it shows the beginning of a cool and efficient way to navigate media. I also don't know how long it takes to startup and how it moves from being turned on to the main desktop/window, but it would be nice to get to the media parts of the digital hub without waiting for the os to get set to run FCP. That is the beauty of the iPod and Palm pda - always-on and ready.

4. Relatively slim form factor. I don't like it's looks personally, and I think the current iMac lcd is far superior, but Apple didn't market it as a "media center" it marketed it as a cool version of a computer and that gave people conflicting expectations, I think. I always thought Apple should have kept the iMac name with the crt AIO, and given the iMaclcd a special "media centric name" and kept both.

Anyway, I personally don't like the fat-flat-screen look and I hope it isn't too aluminized! I don't like the perferated metal look of the angelfire image either. The iMac should be the desktop version of an iBook - inviting, not daunting. It should come in colors....they are still popular as the iPod Mini is proving...and it should be simple, but upgradeable.
  • Reply 151 of 484
    trevordtrevord Posts: 85member
    I don't think the next iMac will be headless... I think it will always be an AIO. However, I think that eventually Apple will get it through their head that we need a headless low- and mid-range computer.

There have been a few mockups of how that could look, typically taking on a ShuttlePC or short PowerMac form factor. How about going for tall-and-slim, though, instead of short-and-fat? I think it might look a bit more elegant.

Here's a mega-cheap Photoshop job to show what it could look like... not a very good rendition, but it gets the point across. Vents would be along the bottom and the top to allow as much passive cooling as possible, although fans would also be required if this Mac used a G5. Note that there are two USB, one FireWire, and a headphone jack up front, with additional ports at the back. Plus, there's a vertically-mounted slot-loading drive.

I'm not sure if the dimensions of this thing are quite right... it would probably have to be a bit thicker, but hopefully not by much. I'm imagining it being built along the lines of a 17" PowerBook, but with full-size desktop components, no battery or screen (duh), an upgradeable video card (hopefully), and no PCI slots. It could probably be made fairly cheaply, but still have a heckuva lot more style than your typical PC.

So? Whaddaya think?
  • Reply 152 of 484
    Yeah, that picture looks pretty thin. It's more like a powerbook with out a flip up screen. Neat concept, space saving, but not very upgradable.
  • Reply 153 of 484
    Quote:

Yeah, that picture looks pretty thin. It's more like a powerbook with out a flip up screen. Neat concept, space saving, but not very upgradable.

Well, doubling the width wouldn't make it look horrible or anything. And it's not meant to be PowerMac-upgradeable... just more than iMac-upgradeable. Upgrade the RAM, maybe upgrade the internal hard drive, and (wishful thinking, probably) upgrade the graphics card. No PCI or anything.

As for access to the internals, the whole side can pop off, like the PM G5, or fold down like the PM G4. Everything would be laid out for you like in a PowerMac, but in vertical orientations, and with plenty of space for air to flow through.
  • Reply 154 of 484
    Here's something slightly thicker... not quite as nice looking, but it's just a quickie mockup.

• Reply 155 of 484
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    TrevorD:

I like that, although I think the ports would all be on the back-- maybe the bottom. Probably on the back, though, because it would be much cleaner looking.
  • Reply 156 of 484
    Trevor D it looks sweet but apple needs more space and venilation, because it is housing a G5.
  • Reply 157 of 484
    Not mine

• Reply 158 of 484
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    More Doodles...

• Reply 159 of 484
    The new iMac should have an integrated iPod dock, adjustable for regular iPods or mini's. That would fit well with the "home on the pod" rumors.
  • Reply 160 of 484
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucida

More Doodles...

Looks straight out of an episode of Dr. Who.