Siggraph Hardware?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

which g card do you have in your g5?

ATI 9800 Radeon (bto)

I have to say that it's not bad compared to the lower end nVidia Quadros, like the Quadro 100 FX, but any other Quadro beast it by a lot.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    7 days, and counting.

I think SIGGRAPH will be an exciting experience for Apple. I imagine they will be demoing all their Pro software again, and I hope we see some other cool stuff to add to the wealth of great software available from Apple, and other vendors. I really can't wait. I wish I was going.

I'll be there in a few years.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    3D Studio Max 7 has been announced, demo-ing at Siggraph... wonder if they'll launch a Mac version.

iDunno
  • Reply 24 of 79
    I highly doubt it. The possibility of demand is there, but the developer isn't.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

6 days, and counting.

Still anticipating good things.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

3D Studio Max 7 has been announced, demo-ing at Siggraph... wonder if they'll launch a Mac version.

iDunno

Sorry...not gonna happen. We have been working on the beta version for about a month now to test our plugins. The only real upgrade in this version of Max is that it has Character Studio built in... aside from a couple of game-industry-oriented tools theres not much to this new version. I'd say that it is more like a 6.1 update than a v. 7
  • Reply 27 of 79
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I read a post on Creative Cow from Halid Hatic from curious-software.com who said Apple invited them to show their wares in the Apple booth. This sucker must be HUGE.

His actual comments are

Not sure when it is shipping, but we will be showing Curious gFx on the Apple booth at Siggraph, and Apple have been kind enough to provide us with a pre-release of Motion to work with in developing our demo materials........WOW is all I can say. You must come to Siggraph if you can........guaranteed to be the hit of the show (again!)

Wish I could go.

Vue'D'Esprit has version 5 coming

ATI is showing off their new FireGL card.

Luxology.net has an invitation only showing of their Modo.

Since we will be showing modo as well as some super secret new technology, we cannot have it open to the general public. However, we will be randomly selecting some Luxology community members to join us at the event
  • Reply 28 of 79
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

ATI is showing off their new FireGL card.

For Mac?
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

For Mac?

The press release didn't say. I'm hoping that they do support OSX though.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    curious-software.com's curious gFx seems to look a lot like photoshop, but I'm curious (no pun intended) to see what it does. I'm not going to try the demo. yet.

Vue'D'Esprit I think is used mostly (if not completely) in conjunction with Lightwave? I'll bet it works with Luxoligy - Modo then too.

Luxoligy always looks neat, but I have some issues with a strictly SUB-D modeling package, and compatibility with other applications.

ATI. Well if they ever get their OpenGL on track they may look OK, on a Mac, but that remains to be seen.

Also interested in knowing if the FireGL's are going to Mac compatible? But then again that raises the issue of OpenGL. Without it, it wouldn't do anything more than what a current ATI gaming card could do anyway. I'll hope for te best with them, but I think the Nvidia 6800 DDL would probably perform better in 3D with my old Geforce3-TI drivers.

I'd rather see Nvidia, and this ATI thing could be scary. I'll tell you why.

If ATI were to test the waters of 3D cards on a Mac I think they might have a hard sell being that most users know of the issues their cards. (especially on the Mac) I for one probably wouldn't buy an ATI 3D card for the Mac.

I just hope that ATI doesn't scare off other manufacturers because of poor sales from users lack of faith in their OpenGL hardware drivers, and firmware.

That would really suck.

I would still love to be there.

great info hmurchison.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:

curious-software.com's curious gFx seems to look a lot like photoshop, but I'm curious (no pun intended) to see what it does. I'm not going to try the demo. yet.

gFX is hear to save Pinnacle Commotion users from committing Hara Kiri<sp> because of Pinnacles neglect. It's a rotoscoping and Painting app for video so mainly video people will get into it. I'm hoping they eventually offer an edu discount. I'd love to try it out and possibly purchase it sometime next year.

Oh yeah let us not forget that a little birdy spilled the beans(he has since cleaned them up)on Painter 9. I don't know any new features but we'll see what Corel has done in the last 2 yrs.

I wouldn't be suprised to see some noise come from the new Bryce owners DAZ

DAZ is currently developing technology that will provide improved import capability of existing DAZ content into Bryce. This development will take place in phases until a seamless integration is achieved. Continued support for both MAC and PC platforms is planned, as well as new features and benefits.

I'm curious about

DAZ Studio as well. I like the spunk of DAZ I hope their software lives up to their hype.

edited to protect the embarrassed :P
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Quote:

I wouldn't be suprised to see some noise come from the new Bryce owners DAZ

DAZ is currently developing technology that will provide improved import capability of existing DAZ content into Bryce. This development will take place in phases until a seamless integration is achieved. Continued support for both MAC and PC platforms is planned, as well as new features and benefits.

I'm curious about

DAZ Studio as well. I like the spunk of DAZ I hope their software lives up to their hype.

I always liked what people did in bryce. I thought it was the bomb when I first saw it. I'd love to hear what they have intended for future releases.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

5 days, and counting.

I wish I was going.

I just read at the SILO forums that SILO for the Mac will be final at SIGGRAPH too. More good stuff!
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Being that Apple is going to be talking about Apple Workstations at SIGGRAPH, I wonder how they will fair against people that went into the BOXX test drive center? How will Apple add a dash of pizzaz to the PowerMac G5's?

BOXX makes HD Workstations DCC workstations, Audio Center Workstations, and they also sell what they refer to as rendernodes. That is a focused naming scheme to compete with.

BOXX Introduces Test Drive Center at SIGGRAPH 2004

Quote:

quoted from cgnetworks article

BOXX Introduces Test Drive Center at SIGGRAPH 2004

Boxx Technologies Publicity, 3 August 2004

BOXX Technologies (booth #1137) today introduces a new Test Drive Center for SIGGRAPH attendees to experience firsthand how BOXX workstations enhance the speed and performance of popular 3D animation programs such as 3ds max, Maya, Softimage XSI and LightWave 3D.

Visit BOXX at SIGGRAPH, Booth 1137, to Test Drive & Win a BOXX workstation and see the latest BOXX workstations and rendering solutions, including the new BOXX systems with PCI Express technology.

The Test Drive Center will include BOXX workstations featuring the latest AMD Opteron and Intel Pentium 4 and XEON processors in single and dual-processor configurations. BOXX will also have the new GoBOXX mobile workstation available for attendees to see how creating art or editing digital video on the go can be realized on a BOXX.

Inside the BOXX booth, attendees will also be able to see BOXX?s new HD [pro] RT real-time HD editing turnkey system featuring Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and Cineform Prospect HD running under Microsoft Windows Media XP. HD [pro] RT offers real-time multi-stream HD editing on the desktop without blowing the budget. Combined with support for Windows Media High Definition Video and tight integration with After Effects Photoshop Audition and Encore DVD, working with HD is now a whole lot easier.

BOXX?s partner Nucoda will also be in the BOXX booth demonstrating the latest features in Film Master film and video finishing solution that will include new features for DI and VFX houses such as Virtual Film Outs for previewing frames in native 2K resolution with accurate 3D LUTs and a new easy-to-use timeline. Nucoda will also be debuting a new video batch capture capability and range of options for VTR emulation.

Keeping the Dream Alive

4 Days and Counting
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Onlooker

Check out this new Renderer for Maya.

http://www.illuminatelabs.com/products/

Don't forget the gallery

http://www.illuminatelabs.com/gallery

Looks very nice. Wonder if the speed lives up to the hype.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I hope they don't show off the PowerMac G5 in the workstation category. I don't see how they can do it without being hypocrites.

Apple has themselves stated that the PowerMac G5 is not a workstation but a personal computer (thus not in the same league as the Opteron or Xeon).
  • Reply 37 of 79
    hmurchison I've seen turtle but I didn't realize that there was an OS X version until now. I wonder how custom shaders work for it, or if there are any?

I didn't check the price yet, but I'm going to. I think Apple will demo RenderMan and the artist tools at SIGGRAPH. (I hope they do)

Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I hope they don't show off the PowerMac G5 in the workstation category. I don't see how they can do it without being hypocrites.

Apple has themselves stated that the PowerMac G5 is not a workstation but a personal computer (thus not in the same league as the Opteron or Xeon).

Somebody said Apple would be talking about workstations at SIGGRAPH,

Here is a link to SIGGRAPH workstations page

Click Here Apple is about 4 down or so.

I too would like a more Powerful PowerMac for a workstation, or a new Highend class PowerMacintosh, but I wont get my hopes up on that.\\

Although I think they should write Quadro Drivers for the Geforce FX 6800 Ultra DDL, and give (or sell it) it to those of us who would use it. Or gust sell a Quadro FX Ultra DDL for Macintosh.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:

Reading is fundamental Existence. Apple in no way made such statements. The article is strictly about the advertising complaints levied on the G5.

Bring on Siggraph. I'm ready for some news.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:

Reading is fundamental Existence. Apple in no way made such statements. The article is strictly about the advertising complaints levied on the G5.

Bring on Siggraph. I'm ready for some news.

That's the spirit! Bring on Siggraph. I'm ready for some news too.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Can someone tell me what DCC means? Is it Digital Content Creation?