Siggraph Hardware?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

May I throw a little oil in the fire? Apple Store is closed.

[Beavis voice]

huh huh huh Boioioioioinnnngggg!!!

[/Beavis voice]
  • Reply 62 of 79
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

[Beavis voice]

huh huh huh Boioioioioinnnngggg!!!

[/Beavis voice]

What is that Beavis ?
  • Reply 63 of 79
    It Tuesday ...

AppleStores are down world-wide (remeber in Yurrup it's mid-day when everyone want's to buy stuff) ...

Hmmm ... announcing the iMac? A 13.x" PowerBook ...
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

It Tuesday ...

AppleStores are down world-wide (remeber in Yurrup it's mid-day when everyone want's to buy stuff) ...

Well, depending on where you are, it could be reposo, correct? Gotta love enforced afternoon naps.

[edit]

Is Apple putting on some kind of event at Siggraph? I heard (here) they have a huge booth and everything, but do they have a timeslot where Apple would have everyone's undivided attention?
  • Reply 65 of 79
    Looks like the commotion is about Motion. According to Apple's front page, it is now shipping.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

It Tuesday ...

announcing motion,

as PBG4 Dude said
  • Reply 68 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patrik_L

http://www.apple.com/productionsuite/

Did you see the hardware requirements for Motion?

• Reply 69 of 79
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Dammit, what a letdown.... I could seriously smell new hardware... i thought Tuesdays were only for hardware and Sundays was for software?

iDunno
  • Reply 70 of 79
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    THere is two full days of SIGGRAPH left. I'm hoping we'll find something out about Video cards sooner, or later this week.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    Open GL 2.0

Quote:

Yahoo's hosting the press release. I wonder what relevance OpenGL has any more. DirectX has not only caught up but arguably surpassed OGL, as can be noticed with shaders appearing in DX before OGL, and video cards being designed for new DirectX specs, rather than filling out OpenGL ones.

The latest version of the OpenGL® specification, incorporating support for the OpenGL Shading Language application programming interfaces (API), was announced today by Silicon Graphics and the OpenGL Architecture Review Board (ARB) at the SIGGRAPH 2004 industry tradeshow. One of the most important and enduring standards in the computer industry, OpenGL® 2.0 presents a revolution in graphics by providing high-level access to the programmable features of modern graphics processors and is an important step in creating photo-realistic, real-time 3D graphics.

OpenGL® Shading Language has been extensively field tested for a year within the proven ARB standardization process. Potential applications include cinematic quality images for games, more realistic imagery for training and simulation, better analysis tools for medical visualization, and more true-to-life simulated environments for designing and styling manufactured products.

Relevance? Because it's an open standard? Not part of the 'not invented here' M$ mono-culture?

Isn't competition good?

Choice.

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. I can't wait until we get a 3 gig G5 MP ala dual.

PPS. I'm going to buy the Production Suite. It looks awesome bang for buck. Adobe-ouch.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Onlooker, I'd stay Apple if I were you. Get a cheap AMD 64 with an Nvidia card IF you MUST.

I have a PC. I don't like it as much as the iBook to work on. I won't uprade this PC until a: I have a G5 Mac and b. PC land goes multicore.

But personally? I'll be crawling over broken glass for the 3 gig MP 970 based PowerMac with PCI Express and a 30 inch Apple LCD. And who knows what graphic card may go with that launch?

Something in my water tells me that ATI will have to respond to the Nvidia 6800 Apple coupe.

Heh, with that fall in profits and share price...Nvidia are going to have to try a little harder to get Apple's custom. Surely in their interest to offer Quadro £££ options?

Apple are beginning to look like THE worksation computer...for creative users. Maya Unlimited. Motion Production suite...Shake et al. Huge screens. Dual Dual link powerful graphic cards. What's more, most of this great software is coming from Apple and in uncharacteristic value bundles.

Want to author a DVD? It's Apple.

HD? Apple's there.

Add a pro-card and a dual core processor into the mix and it's scorcher workstation time.

I love Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 73 of 79
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

NEW From SIGGRAPH: RenderMan for Maya, Use this link and click on news

I know it's software, but it's Pixar, it's SiGGRAPH, It's For Mac, and we can keep it all together in one thread.

And what's really cools that you don't have to learn the Renderman shading language to create shaders.

It will use Maya textures and even render Maya particles and fur.

And the Apple Production Bundle is a very sweet deal indeed!!
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:

OpenGL® Shading Language has been extensively field tested for a year within the proven ARB standardization process.

I'm sure Nvidia already has Firmware, and drivers written with the OGL2 spec. They are probably the main testing group.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    hmurchison

What do you think of the modo modeler? They just put a few more vids up today. I think it looks very intuitive.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

hmurchison

What do you think of the modo modeler? They just put a few more vids up today. I think it looks very intuitive.

It looks inviting for a noob like me. I hope they have edu pricing on it. I haven't been able to see any of the video though..I think I've just tried when their servers were too busy.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    As far as pure modeling tools go I think it's some of the most intuitive looking tools I've seen. Although usually the person in the videos is what makes the modeling look so easy. I still think I've tried my hand at enough tools to spot some good ones. These look really good to me.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Onlooker, I'd stay Apple if I were you. Get a cheap AMD 64 with an Nvidia card IF you MUST

Quite honestly when it's all said and done I might have a Mac running Maya and a PC running XSI Advanced. Both apps together are less than a grand edu but are worth 14 grand. My reasoning is this.

1. Take advantage of being a student

2. Rendering is time consuming and since I'll be rendering files for video they could possibly be at HD resolutions.

3. I like the direction that Softimage and Alias are heading. Maya will grow stronger from the Kaydara purchase and Renderman option. Softimage is being very aggressive.

Man now all I need is a poor mans Pro Tools and I'm on my way to having my multimedia studio.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    the problem with going with both is I cannot afford both. (machines PC, and Mac ) Because when I get a new Mac I'm going first class, and if I were to get a PC I would have to get a quadro, and if I got the quadro I would have to get stellar set up to accompany it. All Apple has to do IMO is get the damn firmware, and drivers (quadro). Freaking steal the source code if you have to. just get them.