PM Looks Better In This Pic

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    I've seen the new towers at the Apple Store near me and I can tell you that those 4 holes are very functional. While Apple DID put a "vanity" chrome plate directly behind the opening, the holes allow air to flow in, down and then across the inside of the machine, directly in line with the heat sink on the dual processors. The bottom of the case, underneath the panel where the holes are, is also open, allowing even more air to flow in.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    iv thought this new machine looked better than quicksilver since the leaked photos

but thats me
  • Reply 23 of 62
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    What material is the silvered plate on the front ? Real metal or plastic ?

And is the front panel made of the same dark gray plastic than the previous QS ?

On the pictures, the four holes on the front are a bit shiny. Is the front panel glossy, like the sides ?
  • Reply 24 of 62
    The chrome front is just like the iPod. As for the 4 "speed holes" in front, I am still trying to figure out what they do. There is a large 1 1/2" x 5" opening on the bottom at the front of the case where most of the air is being sucked through.

Here are some pics of my new 867

• Reply 25 of 62
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    Nice pics synapse, It seems the new case should be less noisy than the the older one. It doesn't appear there are any air ducts like on the old case which were the main source of noise.

The new cases look great! So those of you who have them are they less noisy?
  • Reply 26 of 62
    [quote] It seems the new case should be less noisy than the the older one. <hr></blockquote>

You would think so wouldn't you? It is LOUD! especially under heavy CPU load when that mid mounted fan gets up to the 4000-5000rpm range. It kinda sounds like a Chevy V8 reving up

I dont know why so many people think these new machines have so much more cooling than the QS. It actually is about the same, just reconfigured to use more convection cooling like Apples other machines. The power supply has its own fan (same as before) The side fan in the QS is just rotated 45 degrees to sit mid case. And the new fan on the door side is just directed at the optical drives since the big fan underneth wouldn't do much for them. This machine still gets pretty warm, I can only imagine that the dual 1.2's get toasty

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: synapse ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Another beautiful design by Apple. How they got all the internals to look so nice and fit in perfectly is so cool. I am amazed every time I see one of the Speedhole Macs.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    More picts please!

Show how the CD is loading.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Maybe the holes are purely decorative?
  • Reply 30 of 62
    [quote]Originally posted by Kali:

<strong>What material is the silvered plate on the front ? Real metal or plastic ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hard to tell. It's very thin and light. I would guess chromed aluminum or just plastic.

[quote]<strong>And is the front panel made of the same dark gray plastic than the previous QS?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can't help you there. This is my first Mac.

[quote]<strong>On the pictures, the four holes on the front are a bit shiny. Is the front panel glossy, like the sides ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The front has some shine to it, but not so much as the sides. The front has more of a satin finish.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Nice Pics! hope you can post more...like the box it comes in Apple make the best box's Or is that called Computers?

I'm getting my dual 867Mhz today!....that is if the ram comes in also at the same time

Frank_t
  • Reply 32 of 62
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    That heat sink is so incredibly HUGE!
  • Reply 33 of 62
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yea, I think it's time apple looked at putting a fan on their heat sink. Or maby water cool the sucker.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    [quote]Originally posted by Ebby:

<strong>Yea, I think it's time apple looked at putting a fan on their heat sink. Or maby water cool the sucker. </strong><hr></blockquote>

They don't need to yet. A heat sink is still all you need to cool a G4. All you need to do is circulate some air over it and it does the job. What really needs active cooling however is the 600+W power supply that comes with these things. It needs a 7200rpm, 42 decibel Delta fan to keep from over heating. :eek:
  • Reply 35 of 62
    It has become a big misconception that the power supply in these machines is over 600watts. It is absolutely not true, maximum rated output of the power supply in the new machines is 400watts, 40watts higher than the QS power supply.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    That doesn't change the fact that the PS needs serious cooling.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    I picked up a dual 867 today!

Dealer had a few in stock so went down to have a look. I like this new machine very much. Apple really did a fantastic job on the inside. Much, much better than the old QuickSilver.

While I haven't set mine up yet I can answer a few questions people had since I tried to get them answered myself while at the store.

1. The front drive bevel is plastic but chromed.

2. The power button is lighted

3. The holes int he front are purely decorative however they do act as part of the ventilation system. Most of the intake air comes from a slat on the front bottom of the case. The holes have a plate behind them and a baffle that goes down to meet the bottom slat. Hard to describe but imagine air intake scoops in a race car that duct air into a larger intake vent before going to the rad.

4. Apple supplies screws for extra drives and they are screwed int othe drive carriers!

5. The drive carriers are super easy to remove. No tools required, just press a clip. The only screws you have to remove from a case is for the optical drives.

6. The internal cables are nicely laid out and are of high-quality.

7. The heatsink is one HUGE MF!

8. The CPU card is big also

9. I didn't get a chance to see if the logic board was the same on the dual 867 and dual 1Ghz since they only had a dual 867 on display. I have a feeling they are the same, jsut the CPU card is different. We'll have to wait until one of those ubiquitous Japanese overclocking sites comes up with the answer. I wonder how much the 867 can overclock? Anyone have the time to compare the Apple part number on the logic board to confim this?

10. The power supply in mine is 400 watts

11. You eject the top optical with the eject button ont he keyboard, the second drive is option+eject

Anything else I missed?
  • Reply 38 of 62
    If the "speedholes" serve no pratical purpose, then why the **** did Apple put them there? Are they just for show, to make the machine "look" faster. I find that hard to believe.

Couldn't the fan be sucking air through the holes AND the bottom of the case. Wouldn't that create more air flow?
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Saw one at CompUsa today. I think it was the 867 dual model, but I am not sure, as it did not yet have an OS on it... Neways, I turned it off and back on just in case... And I heard the fans kick in full speed. It was just... Loud. But they quickly went quieter. Anyways, this machine really does look better than the QS in person. Much better. Apple is tempting me..Must resist urge... Lol.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    [quote]Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich:

<strong>Saw one at CompUsa today. I think it was the 867 dual model, but I am not sure, as it did not yet have an OS on it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Huh? I thought these machines came preloaded with Jaguar? Are you telling me the OS isn't already on the Hard Drive. Huh? No one ever mentioned this before.