Doom3 to run on new iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just received the Quiktime newsletter:

Now shipping, the highly-anticipated third videogame in the ?Doom? series will not only challenge the best gamers, but also scare the bejesus out of them.

In ?Doom 3? you are a Marine posted as extra security at the Union Aerospace Corporation?s Mars Research Facility. Everything?s cool until a bunch of nasty demons from hell invade the facility, turn most of your colleagues into zombies and leave you wandering dark halls trying to save the day.

In all likelihood, id Software/Activision probably designed enough visual effects to frighten you in ?Doom 3.? But to make sure you have the full fright experience, they added some gross inhuman sounds to exercise your imagination and asked Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails to compose some chilling music for the game.

If you?re prepared for the horror, check out the ?Doom 3? game trailer.

Wishful thinking new iMac shipping with Doom3.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 247
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    I agree !

I remember how disappointed I was when I bought my first iMac 450 DV+ and it couldn´t play unReal tournament on full settings !

Doom3, Halo and UT2003/2004 should be playing flawlessly on a new iMac. I am not a pro, but as many others, there is children involved and they play games !!!
  • Reply 2 of 247
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenarcade

I agree !

I remember how disappointed I was when I bought my first iMac 450 DV+ and it couldn?t play unReal tournament on full settings !

I would not be surprised if the same happens with Doom3 in the new iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 247
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Rumor has it that a port for Doom II is in the works and the specs on the new iMac will just be enough to run it.

• Reply 4 of 247
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    A buddy of mine has a 2.5 ghz computer (windows) with 512 megs of ram and an n'videa 5200 128mb(overclocked) and he can only play doom3 ar 800x600 with the graphics set at the second to top setting. so unless the ID guys do something insane with open GL that they just could not do with DX9, you will need a top-end PM and a 6800 to enjoy it properly.
  • Reply 5 of 247
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

A buddy of mine has a 2.5 ghz computer (windows) with 512 megs of ram and an n'videa 5200 128mb(overclocked) and he can only play doom3 ar 800x600 with the graphics set at the second to top setting. so unless the ID guys do something insane with open GL that they just could not do with DX9, you will need a top-end PM and a 6800 to enjoy it properly.

A couple of things; HardOCP has gotten better results on lesser hardware, so your buddy may need to look at what's going on in Windows.

Also, id specifically mentioned that overclocked video cards could be a problem since Doom III uses circuits on these cards that have been basically dormant until now.
  • Reply 6 of 247
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Specifically, from HardOCP's article:

Quote:

If you have a 1.5GHz Pentium and a 3D card that has been made in the last couple of years, you should be able to enjoy the DOOM 3 experience as it was meant to be.

Don't forget: DOOM 3 cost around $20 million to make. The more machines it runs on, the better the odds that id can make their investment back plus enough to finance their next game, profit handsomely, and buy Carmack a few more Ferraris or a spare rocket.

The new iMac should run DOOM 3 just fine. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that id got a test mule to play with to ensure that. It wouldn't be the first time they'd used the iMac as a target platform...
  • Reply 7 of 247
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

A couple of things; HardOCP has gotten better results on lesser hardware, so your buddy may need to look at what's going on in Windows.

Also, id specifically mentioned that overclocked video cards could be a problem since Doom III uses circuits on these cards that have been basically dormant until now.

interesting.
  • Reply 8 of 247
    spytapspytap Posts: 50member
    Well, my gaming rig is a P4 2.0GHz, a gig of RAM, and a Radeon 9700 Pro; not the least powerful, but a damn fine machine if I do say so myself.

Anyway, Doom 3 runs okay at 800x600 on high or 1024x768 on medium. Not wonderfully, but a pretty steady 30fps normally, stuttering to arouns 10fps in a firefight or when a lot is happening.
  • Reply 9 of 247
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Check out the posts here: --> http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread...8&page=1&pp=20

People seem to be figuring out ways to get Doom III to run better.
  • Reply 10 of 247
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I think well see Tiger, and Core Image before DOOM 3 is ready for the Mac anyway. By Then they will be able to leverage the GPU with Core Image, and OpenGL 2.0 to their hearts content, and most likely get some fantastic results.

The thing that I think is interesting is that DOOM 3 is being ported to Linux before they start the Mac version, so why Apple even bothered putting that in the QT newsletter is beyond me. We probably wont see that game for like 5 months at least.
  • Reply 11 of 247
    Quote:

The new iMac should run DOOM 3 just fine. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that id got a test mule to play with to ensure that. It wouldn't be the first time they'd used the iMac as a target platform...

I would be suprised if the new iMac could run Doom III at an acceptable framerate and resolution....

Im running a PC... Athlon Xp 2400+ (2.0 ghz) 512 mb Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb)....

I run Doom III @ 1280x1024 @ around 30fps...

I have a friend who has a Pentium 4 2.66ghz, 512mb ram and a 9600 Pro... he has a hard time running it @ 800x600 with lowest quality graphics on.

This game requires a VERY high end video card... something I dont see Apple putting in the next gen imac.
  • Reply 12 of 247
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenarcade

Doom3, Halo and UT2003/2004 should be playing flawlessly on a new iMac. I am not a pro, but as many others, there is children involved and they play games !!!

Those are probably the last games you want your kids to be playing.

I don't think Apple should feel obliged to make Doom3 run on highest settingson the new iMacs. (The thing is, it'll run at 600*800 on Low just fine on the latest iMacs, and it looks stunning, even at those settings)
  • Reply 13 of 247
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I play Doom 3 on an Athlon 3200 XP with a Radeon 9800 pro and a Gig of DDR400. Very nice setup. This machine runs it at 1024x768 at around 40fps constant, and never seems to get juttery ever, which looking at some of the benchmarks for the game on the web, seems a little odd.

No one can put this game at ultra settings and run it properly as it requires 512MB of Video Ram on your graphics card. It'll be interesting to see if a nVidia SLI system -basically two 6800 GTs or 6800 ultras plugged together- (I'll be using one in a few months) would be recognised by Doom 3 as a single 512MB card

As for the new iMacs, they should come with a form of a 9800, but it might end up being a Radeon X600 or something like that. Doom 3 will run on an iMac just fine, in fact it should run ok on older macs hopefully, otherwise ID won't have many mac users to sell the game to -judging by the sort of cpu needed on the windows side, only those with new 1.5Ghz powerbooks and G5s will be able to run the game.
  • Reply 14 of 247
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    You think Apple will put a better video card in the imac than the PM?
  • Reply 15 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

You think Apple will put a better video card in the imac than the PM?

What video card is better than a 6800 Ultra DDL? (Basically a Nvidia Geforce FX 6800 Ultra Apple style with double the DVI plugs) Did Nvidia come out with a better card already? Because ATI cant match it on a Mac. Maybe on PC, (but I doubt it)

There is no DirectX on a Mac. So your argument is all about OpenGL and ATI doesn't come close to matching Nvidia in OpenGL.
  • Reply 16 of 247
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    As a side note, what's the best aftermarket card I can buy for DOOM III, assuming it ships for the Mac sometime soon?
  • Reply 17 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

As a side note, what's the best aftermarket card I can buy for DOOM III, assuming it ships for the Mac sometime soon?

The makers of DOOM3 are recommending the Geforce FX 6800 Ultra, and giving it top honors. Benchmarks
  • Reply 18 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

The makers of DOOM3 are recommending the Geforce FX 6800 Ultra, and giving it top honors. Benchmarks

Is it just me, or does that card cost almost $600? And is it me or the Bombay Sapphire that says OK?
  • Reply 19 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Is it just me, or does that card cost almost $600? And is it me or the Bombay Sapphire that says OK?

Bombay Sapphire has nothing to do with it, and your not alone. The Mac version I think is the only version that has the whole DVI enabled. It's necessary to run the 30 Cinema display. You'll be gaming on that card forever, and if that 30" display is yours you are one stylin mofo.
  • Reply 20 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Bombay Sapphire has nothing to do with it, and your not alone. The Mac version I think is the only version that has the whole DVI enabled. It's necessary to run the 30 Cinema display. You'll be gaming on that card forever, and if that 30" display is yours you are one stylin mofo.

No 30" for me, just a simple little ole 20.1" ragin' mutha. Damn, $600. I love DOOM.

OK, I really love DOOM. Like, I used to play it on a 386 and I believe it's as fundamental to games as the Atari 2600, kind of love.

Those folks, were the two truly revolutionary shifts in gaming history.