"You must restart your computer"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Today I've had four occurances of my computer monitor going kind of dim and then a big black square with white text telling me, in four different languages, I need to retart my computer by either pressing the restart key or holding down the power button on the computer for several seconds. Has anyone else experienced this?

2.5DPG5/2GB/2X250/SD/R9600XT

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    That's a kernel panic - means that computer simply gave up because the errors it encountered were too critical to continue.

Usually very rare... I see one about every... oh... 18 months?

What are you doing when it barfs?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Go to Disk Utility and Verify Permissions and Repair Premissions, this might help you out a little bit. Otherwise, you might have received bad memory.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Heh, I just got one a couple days ago when I tried to play a DVD's video_TS folder that I had backed up to my hard drive. (Did it panic because it thought what I was doing was illegal, or what?)
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I had just downloaded a trial version of plugins from duy.com to be used in Digital Performer. Unfortunately, I was unable to launch Digital Performer because it verifies all plugins at startup and the duy plugins would not verify, it didn't really freeze it just sat there with the spinning bar like it was verifying, I went away to do other things came back about an hour later and DP was still trying to verify the duy plugins. I don't know if it's coincidence but that's when the kernel panics started.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by wvmusic

I had just downloaded a trial version of plugins from duy.com to be used in Digital Performer. Unfortunately, I was unable to launch Digital Performer because it verifies all plugins at startup and the duy plugins would not verify, it didn't really freeze it just sat there with the spinning bar like it was verifying, I went away to do other things came back about an hour later and DP was still trying to verify the duy plugins. I don't know if it's coincidence but that's when the kernel panics started.

It probably is. My powerbook was running perfectly until I installed an M-Audio USB midi driver - since then I've had the black screen kernel panic every time I've tried launching Logic. Pain in the a**.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Bad/dying RAM or a dying hard drive are prime causes of Kernel panics. Sometimes driver problems can too, but that is much rarer than in the 10.0 days as developers have a bit more clue now.

what do you mean with dying???....it appeared me because of a plastic piece that falled into my keyboard, and after that it inmediatly showed me that message in four languages.

should i tho a permisions check on then disk?????
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    You can always check your logs through the Console Utility. The panic should still be logged.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You can always check your logs through the Console Utility. The panic should still be logged.

yes, i searched for it and was there, and found a panicdump.log file, but i don't understand it, there are lot of memory addresses and that kind of stuff...any way, now the machine is working fine, but i'd like to know if that will affect the behavior of the machine in the future...
  • Reply 11 of 24
    This thread do not belong here. moved to genius bar
  • Reply 12 of 24

• Reply 13 of 24
    I had my first KP about a month ago, this is after having my imac g3 400mhz for four years... I got kinda excited. I had almost every app open and was tabbing tween all of them... so I'm not surprised my mac shit it self.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    I too had my first KP the other day running protools 5.1 on 10.3.5 i think this happens just to make me excited and call people like iDunno and tell them. or it could just be that Pro tools will not run on my dinosaur and on panther.

In summary KP's mean your computer loves and wants you to know it cares.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Look in /Library/Logs for either a panic.log or under CrashReports for a corresponding crash log.

There might also be a useful hint in the /var/log/system.log.

You will almost always get a panic.log if it is a hardware issue except for CPU errors.

Dobby.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Please help.

I have the same problem. I have tried nearly everything I can to remidy the situation.

My main problem is that the only disk that will boot is the hardware test. I was told to try the restore cds but they will not boot. I have tried fsck and the shift. Nothing is working.

Can anybody tell me what to do? I am using my shitty old desktop and I feel very restricted.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I get, on average, six KPs a day on my work machine, and a couple every week on my iMac. I've been getting a lot more on my everyday G5 workstation since installing the recent Uniprocessor firmware update.

Both machines have never been tampered with. Stock RAM and hard drives that pass the Apple Hardware Test (Extended) every time.

If I switch back to Jaguar they go away. Same apps, same hardware, same fonts. Via process of elimination, I have come to the conclusion that Panther is a piece of shit that shouldn't be given any space in a production environment.

For me, 10.3 has been an absolute disaster.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    panic.log:

Backtrace:

0x000836E4 0x00083BC8 0x0001EDA4 0x00211F24 0x000CE92C 0x000C3888 0x000C0380 0x001D45A4

0x001D41D4 0x001DA398 0x001DAA8C 0x000BE344 0x000BDD8C 0x000CA9A4 0x002452B4 0x00094200

0x006C0069

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.NVDAResman(3.2.8)@0x4bc000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(1.4)@0x394000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.3.3)@0x487000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.3.3)@0x4a6000

Proceeding back via exception chain:

Exception state (sv=0x28440000)

PC=0x90010A2C; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x1C421004; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x90285B54; R1=0xBFFFDE60; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 - System call)

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 7.5.0:

Thu Aug 5 19:26:16 PDT 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.7.21.obj~3/RELEASE_PPC

Anybody know what the fcuk that means?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Do you have a canon scanner?

EDIT - scratch that, I should read all the page.

goto

http://www.google.com/search?q=+com....utf-8&oe=utf-8

the select the cached version of the first listing....

And yes me and google are good friends
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Also what does it say before the backtrace?