Steve Jobs addresses Kerry campaign economic advisor rumors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a recently released transcript of an interview during June's Wall Street Journal's D: All Things Digital conference, Apple CEO Steve Jobs vowed to shy away from politics and commented on his rumored position as economic advisor to the Kerry campaign.

Addressing rumors that he recently signed up as economic advisor to John Kerry, Steve Jobs said, "I called him up and said that I've had a little bit of experience with advertising and I'd be glad to help him on advertising. Then a week later I read that I was an economic advisor."

In the June interview, Jobs said that while he had "offered" his services to the campaign, he was still waiting to see which specific role he would undertake.

Jobs was then asked if he thought Kerry was more tech friendly than President Bush, to which he responded "Some people have said that I shouldn't get involved politically because probably half our customers are Republicans?maybe a little less, maybe more Dell than ours. But I do point out that there are more Democrats than Mac users so I'm going to just stay away from all that political stuff because that was just a personal thing."

Later on in the interview Jobs said that in splitting his time between Apple and Pixar, email allows him to remain in touch with both companies pretty much all the time. "It all depends. When we have a movie coming out at Pixar, I'm there more, but I don't direct the movies."

Jobs made several additional comments of interest during interview, which were published exclusively on AppleInsider back in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    This ain't right. I've read interviews today with Steve Jobs saying he had absolute no idea he was the economic advisor of Kerry. He said he wanted to help with the advertising, but not with the economics.

So he is NOT the economic advisor of kerry.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member

What the? Err? No? Okay this 'story' must have a point somewhere but I just ain't getting it.

D

P.S. Smarter words were never spoken - I'm going to just stay away from all that political stuff because that was just a personal thing."
  • Reply 3 of 25
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Ha! Just like a bunch of democrats! Can't get their stories straight! Can't figure out who's doing what! At least with the Bush Administration, everyone's so afraid of Bush and Cheney they all speak as of one mind (usually with the same exact words). No dissension or confusion there!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Ha! Just like a bunch of democrats! Can't get their stories straight! Can't figure out who's doing what! At least with the Bush Administration, everyone's so afraid of Bush and Cheney they all speak as of one mind (usually with the same exact words). No dissension or confusion there!

You might want to check the news today. Vice President Cheney does not share President Bush's views on homosexual marriages.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    moofamoofa Posts: 13member
    I read recently that the documentary director that did the Switch ads (Errol something or other) will be doing a bunch of ads about Republicans who'll be voting for Kerry this election. Maybe his Holiness had a hand in that partnership.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

"I called him up and said that I've had a little bit of experience with advertising and I'd be glad to help him on advertising. Then a week later I read that I was an economic advisor."

In the June interview, Jobs said that while he had "offered" his services to the campaign, he was still waiting to see which specific role he would undertake.

"... so I'm going to just stay away from all that political stuff because that was just a personal thing."

Strange, He wants to "just stay away from all that political stuff because that was just a personal thing." but he himself "called him(Kerry) up and said that I've had a little bit of experience with advertising and I'd be glad to help him on advertising."

I dont see how he can have his cake (appearance of neutrality) and eat it too(publicly back/support/endorce) Kerry), what am I missing here?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

You might want to check the news today. Vice President Cheney does not share President Bush's views on homosexual marriages.

Having differing opinions is a good thing.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I am so tired of people in power trying to influence the public to their political views.

Movie stars...Shut up and just act, I don?t care what you think I just want to see you act.

Music stars...Shut up and sing, I don?t care what you think I just want to listen to music.

And now Steve Jobs...Shut up and release the iMac already, I don?t care what you think I just want to use your products.

If any of the above gets into politics then I listen. Until then just do what I am paying you to do.

I am feed up with so many trying to make a statement of some sort. The reason they have the platform to state the things they do is because of the previously mention.

I don?t preach to my customers when I have I see them what I think I shut up and provide the service they desire.

My opinion is just that, I can say what I think, whenever I think it but when I represent my company that is the inappropriate time to do so.

If an actor or musician or even Steve Jobs is a rally or protest that is the time to speak their opinion. Not at an awards show or anything else.

But that is just my opinion....

That is just my statement....
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

I am so tired of people in power trying to influence the public to their political views.

Movie stars...Shut up and just act, I don?t care what you think I just want to see you act.

Music stars...Shut up and sing, I don?t care what you think I just want to listen to music.

And now Steve Jobs...Shut up and release the iMac already, I don?t care what you think I just want to use your products.

If any of the above gets into politics then I listen. Until then just do what I am paying you to do.

I am feed up with so many trying to make a statement of some sort. The reason they have the platform to state the things they do is because of the previously mention.

I don?t preach to my customers when I have I see them what I think I shut up and provide the service they desire.

My opinion is just that, I can say what I think, whenever I think it but when I represent my company that is the inappropriate time to do so.

If an actor or musician or even Steve Jobs is a rally or protest that is the time to speak their opinion. Not at an awards show or anything else.

Good point. I feel the same. Everyone gets bombarded enough these days with everything then you have people like you mention above who put it all even more over the top. Enough is really enough you know.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

What is your job?

Actually you don't have to listen, he is not announcing it over the airwaves or broadcasting it to your ears....

Not sure why you read the article...
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Guess we should move this to the new Political Outsider forum...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Guess we should move this to the new Political Outsider forum...

True. Lets not have this explode like most discussions on this topic do.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Oh, my. Partisanship is a nasty thing --- too bad we don't have more parties in America besides the ones that struggle to be so "different." Keep in mind the photo of Bush using the Pismo, though....although the big spread of the TiBook in the Time® special on Kerry and the convention was interesting, too.

I second the motion for Steve to get the new iMac out ---- and the PowerBook "G5," whenever that may happen.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

whenever that may happen.

Maybe the RNC?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Actually I have a real distaste for all three parties. They all are rich or crooked or out for themselves. I just get tired of every where I look you can't get away from this crap.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Two of my favorite people working together? I love it! Go John Kerry! Go Steve Jobs! America WILL change!
  • Reply 18 of 25
    spudspud Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Actually I have a real distaste for all three parties. They all are rich or crooked or out for themselves. I just get tired of every where I look you can't get away from this crap.

three parties?

last i checked there were only two in congress...
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

He has every right as an individual to get involved in politics as he sees fit. If he wants to go so far as to make public statements, that's his right. In this case he got involved privately, then honestly answered a direct question about the matter.

Apparently you believe you have a right to post about politics in this forum, but Steve Jobs should keep his mouth shut?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    2 words:

Move Thread