The HP ipod is... exactly the same!!!

newnew
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
wow... to say the least I'm... a bit surprised.

No blue, no HP logo? What is in it for HP in this deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

They probably decided not to screw with perfection
  • Reply 2 of 26
    It actually does have the HP logo on the back, in addition to the Apple logo. You can see it on the flash movie on the HP.com page. Other than that.. it looks like an iPod...
  • Reply 3 of 26
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

There is an HP logo... plus the standard Apple insignia. That's what's in it for HP: having the mystique of an Apple logo attached to their own.

Which, so far, seems about as "cool" as HP can get.

+. Ooo, ooo, except for those nifty iPod tattoos.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    They have (optional) stickers!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Anyone else get the impression that maybe the click wheel changes colour? All the animations on the HP site seem to suggest this, along with the backlit clickwheel specification listed in the spec list

Flame suit on
  • Reply 6 of 26
    In addition to the stickers, the features note the amount of photo's each ipod can hold. I don't recall Apple specifically pointing that out, so, it make me wonder if there will be an HP or Apple add on to either take pics or transfer pics.

HP is in the business of selling ink, so making it easy to take (and print out) more photo's is, I suspect, key in their desire to market the iPod.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    winkwink Posts: 20member
    maybe a dumb question, but what's the difference between hp's ipod and apple's?

what does apple or hp won from this?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wink

maybe a dumb question, but what's the difference between hp's ipod and apple's?

what does apple or hp won from this?

There are a whole lot of stupid/naïve (if well intentioned) people out there that think "iPod = Macintosh-only", or that "Apple = PC incompatability".

So once they see a large PC company hawking the iPod directly they'll "get it" and buy them with no creepy Mac/Apple-associations...(some PC users are creeped out by Apple/Macs in general...fear of straying too far from the herd)

And they should both "win" from economies of scale (Apple anyway)...parts for iPods should certainly be much cheaper in such huge volumes.

And HP gets to pretend they 'invent' as opposed to 'license'...
  • Reply 9 of 26
    OK, and to further add flames to the fire...

This Apple/HP deal was originally announced what - like a *year* ago? What took them so long to repackage the iPod? Were iPod tattoos really that much of a technological stretch?

-Gator
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I'd cut HP a break. Much like GM marketing the Toyota Corolla as the Chevy Prizm, since they can't make a decent small car for themselves, HP is now marketing iPods.

This will certainly be helpful for iTMS *against* MSN Music Portal. HP made the right choice and added a bit of "flair". Gimicky? Yes. Bad? Not really.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powelligator

OK, and to further add flames to the fire...

This Apple/HP deal was originally announced what - like a *year* ago? What took them so long to repackage the iPod? Were iPod tattoos really that much of a technological stretch?

-Gator

They probably were held up by the tattoos because they didn't want to release them until they had perfected a laser removal technique.

No word yet on what iPod piercing options might become available.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    i see those ipod tattoos being a pain in the ass. its hard as hell to properly line up stickers over the wheel and screen so as to make everything straight, especially when it wraps around a curved surface (the sides)
  • Reply 13 of 26
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    HP gets the #1 portable music player without spending anything on R&D. Apple gets distribution in high-volume channels that previously wouldn't have seriously entertained the idea of carrying their product.

The Los Angeles Times ran a story when the HP/Apple partnership was announced. In the article, an HP manager explained that when they did research on various HP-developed music player concepts, customers always preferred the iPod to whatever HP was developing. Finally, HP decided that it would be better to try to work with Apple than to introduce a less-desirable product.

Besides, HP marketing has always been weak on the consumer side. The joke at HP is that if they ever sold sushi, they'd market it as "cold, wet, dead fish".
  • Reply 14 of 26
    winkwink Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

There are a whole lot of stupid/naïve (if well intentioned) people out there that think "iPod = Macintosh-only", or that "Apple = PC incompatability".

So once they see a large PC company hawking the iPod directly they'll "get it" and buy them with no creepy Mac/Apple-associations...(some PC users are creeped out by Apple/Macs in general...fear of straying too far from the herd)

And they should both "win" from economies of scale (Apple anyway)...parts for iPods should certainly be much cheaper in such huge volumes.

And HP gets to pretend they 'invent' as opposed to 'license'...

makes sense...

thanks for the quick reply!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    The significant difference between hp vs. apple ipod is the warrantee service. HP provides full 1 year vs. apple provide 90 days with optional 1 year extension for $59.

One of the main benefit from HP carrying the ipod is their retailer lines. This will definately broaden the ipod distribution retail chains.

Also, many ignorant windows users with notion of only apple compatible ipod can now safely buy ipod through the pc verdor they can trust. This may sound stupid, but there are lots of stupid people out there.......

One thing that will benefit HP from this deal is that they can claim to have a best portable MP3 in their product line, and also lure more pc users to visit their web sites or the retailer stores to help with HP product sales. Free marketing is always a good thing.....
  • Reply 16 of 26
    osxosx Posts: 34member
    I actually thought HP was gonna change the iPod so it actually looks like something from them. Instead HP is just helping sell the iPod and selling it directly, not much to this story
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by OSx

I actually thought HP was gonna change the iPod so it actually looks like something from them. Instead HP is just helping sell the iPod and selling it directly, not much to this story

You mean reduce its appeal and bring it more in line with other HP products?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

I'd cut HP a break. Much like GM marketing the Toyota Corolla as the Chevy Prizm, since they can't make a decent small car for themselves, HP is now marketing iPods.

This will certainly be helpful for iTMS *against* MSN Music Portal. HP made the right choice and added a bit of "flair". Gimicky? Yes. Bad? Not really.

I understand your second point, but as to your first I can imagine that it doesn't take GM a year to re-engineer a nameplate and a grille insert.

Seriously, what took HP so long?

My speculation is that Apple themselves have a hard enough time satisfying the demand for iPods and their third party manufacturer didn't have additional capacity until now.

That said, the idea of a faceplate piercing along with the tattoo kind of turns me on. Plain white and chrome is so boring...

-Gator
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

I understand your second point, but as to your first I can imagine that it doesn't take GM a year to re-engineer a nameplate and a grille insert.

Seriously, what took HP so long?

My speculation is that Apple themselves have a hard enough time satisfying the demand for iPods and their third party manufacturer didn't have additional capacity until now.

That said, the idea of a faceplate piercing along with the tattoo kind of turns me on. Plain white and chrome is so boring...

-Gator

You would be amazed at how long it can take a company to iron out details like that. A year is no surprise at all to me.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

What took them so long to repackage the iPod?

-Gator

HP has something like 200 000 distribution channels ... that's a lot of iPods to fill those up. There probably weren't enough hard drives at the beginning of the year, and by the time summer came along, Apple was going to soon be releasing the 4G and would have made all of HP's hPod's obselete.