13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    you're right, Wfzelle
  • Reply 42 of 50
    I wil try it - maybe weekend (costs some time

in which I can't porst/read forums )
  • Reply 43 of 50
    You Guys are not reading the whole thread. The fan replacement tutorial is already over at xlr8your mac. To quote my previous post on the previous page:

Check it out ? <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/g4_mirrored_drive_doors/noise_reduction/g4_ddr_noise_reduction.html"; target="_blank">http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/g4_mirrored_drive_doors/noise_reduction/g4_ddr_noise_reduction.html</a>;

A silencing solution for those pesky power supply fans that seem to be a lot of the culprit. Let's all thank Martin Kaufmann for his excellent How-To-Fix-It report complete with photos.

Brian,

The ATI Radeon 9000 Pro video card has NO FAN. It looks like the same small heatsink that we've seen on old ATI 128 Pro AGP Cards. I was amazed to see this the first time.

The noise is primarily from the power supply's overactive 6800 RPM Delta brand fans putting out an incredible 47 decibles. The above solution lowers that decible reading to a mere 31 decibles @4550 RPM.

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 44 of 50
    At least I noticed this article.

My psu fan selection ist quieter: about 25 dB(A).

Modding the main fan (makes noise too) brings you up to a totally quiet machine. I guess about 25 dB(A) for the complete machine (no exact measurement done).

But as I pointed out replacing the main fan is much more complicated and therefore it may be enough for some just to replace the psu fans.

Never mind...
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Well then by all means please give us a second photographic tutorial on how to change the giant fan with what model and how you do it exactly. Thanks.

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 46 of 50
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    25db for the whole machine, that's great, especially considering the HD alone puts out at least 34db.

Of course you could always also solve your problems like this: <a href="http://www.g-news.ch/articles/nhp200nc/"; target="_blank">www.g-news.ch/articles/nhp200nc/</a>

G-News
  • Reply 47 of 50
    That is the most amazing computer design ever, G-News
  • Reply 48 of 50
    G-News, I beg you to spare irony and just think of sometimes other people are able to tell hard facts even if your first check says to you "improbable".

1) The IBM drive build into my G4 is lower than this 34 dB which a drive has "at least" as you say. IBM tech specs tell 30 dB.

2) I never use a HD (and surrounding fans ) without the original case deliverd by Appe. Threfor my estimation of 25 dB for the complete machine.

That's all.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Uhuuh, nice then, you rebuilt the Cube.

20db = quiet room noise

db = logarythmic scale

I = believe it when I see it

G-News
  • Reply 50 of 50
    H = when you hear it...