The REAL "One more thing"....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
...Apple Comptuers will now ship with 2-button Apple style mice, similar to 'The Mouse'.

Really, would that be too difficult, Steve? Wonder how many people have looked at a Mac and thought, darn, I have to buy a 3rd party mouse to get real use out of it, even after paying the 'Apple premium'??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

...Apple Comptuers will now ship with 2-button Apple style mice, similar to 'The Mouse'.

Really, would that be too difficult, Steve? Wonder how many people have looked at a Mac and thought, darn, I have to buy a 3rd party mouse to get real use out of it, even after paying the 'Apple premium'??

I do heavy work-loads and I hardly ever have a use for a second button mouse.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

I do heavy work-loads and I hardly ever have a use for a second button mouse.

I agree, I have a 2 button mouse at home and a stock Apple mouse at work. I never miss it using Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark or InDesign but at home I do like the second button and scroll wheel for web browsing. In fact, the only time I miss it at work is when I am web browsing.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Hmm, scroll button is different than a second clicking button mouse though.

But yeah, I agree that web browsing is better with a scroll wheel.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    I've tried multi-buttoned mice & can't use them. They hurt my arm after long periods of use (Difference in arm position, holding the mouse and all).

I LOVE THE SINGLE BUTTON MOUSE!!
  • Reply 5 of 62
    And I've got a mouse with, let's see... 8 clicks and a scroll wheel, and couldn't be happier. Nor could I productively go back to anything with less than 3+scroll, and even that would be pushing it. Point is, different people like different things. Apple would probably benefit by offering a choice in mice; a 1-button mouse for those who want it or need it, and a more useful mouse for those who have a use for it. But really, it's not a big deal. You can get a real nice mouse with pretty much any features you want for $50 or less. Maybe even drop the cockroach on eBay for $20. We all know this, yet for some reason this issue crops up again and again.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Maybe it's time that a sticky note is posted concerning Apple's design philosophy and the one button mouse. It seems that there is a new "two button mouse" thread every week or so without the poster understanding the underlying decisions Apple makes regarding the issue. My understanding is this: Apple's use of the one button mouse keeps developers designing better application interface design by preventing them from throwing random commands into contextual menus. Thus, an application is easier to use because the developer has more throughly thought out the interface.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Maybe it's time that a sticky note is posted concerning Apple's design philosophy and the one button mouse. It seems that there is a new "two button mouse" thread every week or so without the poster understanding the underlying decisions Apple makes regarding the issue. My understanding is this: Apple's use of the one button mouse keeps developers designing better application interface design by preventing them from throwing random commands into contextual menus. Thus, an application is easier to use because the developer has more throughly thought out the interface.

Exactly! Keep it simple! Besides, the second mouse button is on the keyboard. It's the control key.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    This is not "Alexis", but his twin brother, The Pfhor. What is wrong with you guys? You would rather that Apple stay in the dark ages with a single button mouse? I say its about time if its true. I have always bought and used a two button and will NEVER go back. There is just so much more convenience with that second button (or third, or fourth, etc.).
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexis

This is not "Alexis", but his twin brother, The Pfhor. What is wrong with you guys? You would rather that Apple stay in the dark ages with a single button mouse? I say its about time if its true. I have always bought and used a two button and will NEVER go back. There is just so much more convenience with that second button (or third, or fourth, etc.).

It's a matter of being true to its roots.

An Apple computer with a two-button mouse is like a DeLorean without gull-wing doors, or like a Coca-Cola in a milk carton. It's just wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Coca-Cola in a milk carton eh? That would have made growing up easier

**resists urge to further comment on this thread**
  • Reply 11 of 62
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Spend most my time creating web content at work, and surfing it at home. Apple Pro at work and Logitech MX 500 at home. Other then gaming I can barely tell the difference. Guess I've just adjusted to things.

Keyboards are another story... Matias TactilePro and work, Apple Pro at home. While typing this in my room I could mistake the "Pro" for cold oatmeal.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    I used to be a one-button defender. Then I tried a 5-button mouse. There is nothing like being able to invoke Expose with your thumb. It is sweet. I still have a 1-button at home, and it just isn't the same.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Being right-handed, I remap the numeric keypad for all those extra button functions I need. That way, my thumb can hit them while using the mouse.

Apple: NEVER get rid of the one-button mouse!
  • Reply 14 of 62
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ssendam

Apple would probably benefit by offering a choice in mice

Have you been to an Apple Store (online or physical)? They do.

They're not Apple mice, but so what? They're solid choices from reputable vendors.

Quote:

Originally posted by The Pfhor

What is wrong with you guys? You would rather that Apple stay in the dark ages with a single button mouse?

You're assuming, incorrectly, that mice started with one simple button and added buttons over time.

The first mouse, hand-built in the late '60s, had three buttons. For years after that, it was assumed that a mouse would have as many buttons as fingers. Apple looked at all this work, figured out what a mouse would actually be useful for, and boiled the design down to a few simple actions and one button. In other words, the one-button mouse is a more sophisticated evolution of the old, multibutton mouse, based on years of accumulated data about how mice are used, and how they're useful.

Now, if you prefer the almost forty year old design of a three-button mouse, knock yourself out. It's not about whether something is new or old, it's about whether something is the best tool for your particular needs. You have your choice of older, less focused designs. But as soon as Apple drops their single-button mouse design, there will be less choice. No-one else makes a single button mouse, because everyone else sells into the Windows and (trad) Unix markets, and those more complex interfaces require multi-button mice. For those of us who prefer the simplicity and comfort of Apple's mouse, that would be a serious loss.

• Reply 15 of 62
    My opinion was that single button was good for the OS X transition. You know, keep the developers somewhat loyal to the spirit of the Mac. But that transition is over now, so I'd like to see a multi-button mouse option too.

It is funny to read Inside Lightwave. Every time they mention Mac they say something like: for Mac users press ... come on, why haven't you bought a multi-button mouse yet?

Of course, on the flip side, it is good they are throwing something to the 3rd parties. In my case, the third party in question would be Microsoft though, so that's not too cool.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd like to be able to at least be asked "Do you want the Apple mouse" when I buy a computer online or at my local Apple store, so if I already have a mouse, or want to use that $50 for an MX510 (they're the same price! That's outrageous!), I can. Package the keyboard and mouse in separate boxes, so I can choose whether to save $75 or not when I get a new Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    Packaging the mouse and keyboard seperately would raise prices though, wouldn't it? Apple's been trying to cut down on their prices and you can defenitely see that with the new iMac (please don't let this go to iMac discussion).
  • Reply 18 of 62
    It's true, if you like the 1 button mouse then you are either agnostic to the benefits you'd get from more buttons, or you rely on keyboard shortcuts so much which are much quicker and efficient than a contextual menu. But I'm willing to bet the majority of users would like to see Apple make a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel, me included.

Which is why I see no reason why Apple can't offer this as a BTO option, at the very least on the PowerMacs. It's really the will of Steve Jobs that keeps Macs with 1 button mice. Perhaps someday it will change, I doubt it. Besides, it's not that big of a deal. The mouse is among the few things you can upgrade on an iMac for little hassle. For $15 you can a nice Kensington.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

It's true, if you like the 1 button mouse then you are either agnostic to the benefits you'd get from more buttons, or you rely on keyboard shortcuts so much which are much quicker and efficient than a contextual menu. But I'm willing to bet the majority of users would like to see Apple make a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel, me included.

Which is why I see no reason why Apple can't offer this as a BTO option, at the very least on the PowerMacs. It's really the will of Steve Jobs that keeps Macs with 1 button mice. Perhaps someday it will change, I doubt it. Besides, it's not that big of a deal. The mouse is among the few things you can upgrade on an iMac for little hassle. For $15 you can a nice Kensington.

"Will of Steve Jobs"? You do realize that Jobs originally wanted the Mac to ship with a three-button mouse, don't you?
  • Reply 20 of 62
    i prefer the single-button mouse that the macs ship with, but a scroll wheel is the one thing i like. 3 buttons are sometimes useful, but not too often. it'd be nice if steve jobs came out with a single-button mouse with, say, a touch-sensitive scroll wheel built in somehow. its unlikely, and probably very difficult to do, but it'd be cool