iBook specicifications

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Thinking of buying a new ibook but not sure wether to wait for a g5 ibook?? how long will this be? If the next ibook isnt gonna be a g5 then what will the specs be??
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    The iBook should be g5 in 2008. So I say "Wait for it. It's gonna be a serious iBook!"



    Um. the iBook won't be g5 for a seriously long time, if ever.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    How long from PowerMac G5 to iMac G5? (more than a year)



    How long from PowerBook G5 to iBook G5? (less than a year once the PB get it)



    Given that the PB probably won't see a G5 until MWSF'05 at the earliest...

    I wouldn't hold out for a G5 iBook until at least MWSF'06.



    If the Freescale rumoured dual-core G4 is truly pending, I'd expect that in iBooks before a G5.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Actually, it looks like the 7448-based machines will be pretty fast, capable, and have long battery life. With a faster bus, they may be competitive with the G5 for many applications.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,231member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by cubist

    Actually, it looks like the 7448-based machines will be pretty fast, capable, and have long battery life. With a faster bus, they may be competitive with the G5 for many applications.



    How do you know this?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PB

    How do you know this?



    It came to him in a dream
  • Reply 6 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,231member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DaveGee

    It came to him in a dream







    He he, nice dream. It is a little strange though that, while we are close to a Powerbook update, there is no word on the 7448. Perhaps we will learn next month, like in the last update (if I am not mistaken, Motorola announced the 7447A just one month before the April Powerbook update).
  • Reply 7 of 23
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    There won't be a G5 iBook until the G7 comes out.



    iBooks aren't about mad performance. They are about great price/performance ratios. The current machines are good and should be purchased.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Unless Apple goes with a complete redesign of the iBook, the next revision will likely just bump a number of features.



    As a student, I would like to see Airport standard on the iBooks (instead of being a $100CND option). We'll probably see minor nudges to processor speeds, HD size and video card. Slightly lower price point would also be nice, but I'm sure that the margins are already fairly low for this model line.



    Of course Apple kind of suprised everyone around this time last year when they launched the iBook G4, which featured major upgrades over the previous design, so who knows...
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I was speaking to an employee in my local Apple store who told me to expect a huge release from Apple this coming tuesday, he then put his hand up to his mouth and whispered to me, "iBook G5"... he heard this from a sales rep for M$



    But,



    iDunno
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally posted by curiousuburb

    ...

    If the Freescale rumoured dual-core G4 is truly pending, I'd expect that in iBooks before a G5.




    [http://www.mdronline.com/fpf04/conf.html]



    End of Line
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally posted by iDunno

    I was speaking to an employee in my local Apple store who told me to expect a huge release from Apple this coming tuesday, he then put his hand up to his mouth and whispered to me, "iBook G5"... he heard this from a sales rep for M$



    But,



    iDunno




    G5 eh? I sort of doubt that, as nice as it might be...
  • Reply 12 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,231member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chagi

    G5 eh? I sort of doubt that, as nice as it might be...



    Are we serious? G5 iBook before the G5 Powerbook? Yeah, right, throw the poor Powerbook in the raging dogs .
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PB

    Are we serious? G5 iBook before the G5 Powerbook? Yeah, right, throw the poor Powerbook in the raging dogs .



    From what some guy told me, at Walmart, the iBook is going to G5 while the powerbook is going to go back to a G3.



    Apparantly IBM still has a large stock of the 600mhz G3's, so they're going to sell them in the powerbook for a while.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    At the very least, it would be nice to see a BTO for 64mb DDR of video memory.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    I would expect a GPU bump to meet the minimum spec for Tiger CoreA/V/I.

    Probably the same nVidia 5200 Ultra as the new iMac (bottom on the list of supported cards).



    64Mb VRAM ought to come standard, but a BTO version to go to 128 might be nice.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Yevgeny

    There won't be a G5 iBook until the G7 comes out.



    iBooks aren't about mad performance. They are about great price/performance ratios. The current machines are good and should be purchased.




    I agree that it will be a while before we see an iBook G5, but the price/performance ratio is not quite as fetching as it was in April, so I think that it needs a update or price cut sometime soon.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Res

    I agree that it will be a while before we see an iBook G5, but the price/performance ratio is not quite as fetching as it was in April, so I think that it needs a update or price cut sometime soon.



    True enough, I expect iBooks to get an upgrade around Christmas/New years.



    In general, iBooks aren't about mad performance, they are about good performance in a durable polycarbonate shell. Apple is in NO hurry to place a G5 in an iBook... they just got the G4's into them!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chagi

    G5 eh? I sort of doubt that, as nice as it might be...



    I thought I was laying the sarcasm on pretty thickly.... hang on, my bad, I forgot to add a 'sarcasm' emoticon.



    iDunno
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Res

    I agree that it will be a while before we see an iBook G5, but the price/performance ratio is not quite as fetching as it was in April, so I think that it needs a update or price cut sometime soon.



    Yeah, I'm thinking minor tweaks, possibly combined with slightly lower prices. Like I said previously, nicest thing that Apple could/should do is integrate Airport Extreme on all iBook models.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Decide if you need a notebook, or if you can make do with a desktop.



    If the desktop will work then the base 17" G5 iMac will cost you $200 more than the base 12" iBook. For the extra $200 you get:



    17" display -vs- 12"

    80 GB SATA HD -vs- 30 GB ATA HD

    1.6 gig G5 processor -vs- 1.0 gig G4 processor

    Faster FSB

    Major levels of excitement, joy & happiness

    The very real envy of all your friends and most of us on this board



    If you were thinking about the 14" iBook at $1,499 then compare it to the mid range iMac and you're miles ahead.



    By the way, if you order a base model from Apple you would probably have it shipped very fast. One guy on another board had his non-BTO shipped the day after ordering.
Sign In or Register to comment.