DP 1250 performance thread

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Doesn't matter what you're running it on, post along.

I compared all the major shops and architronic still was by far the cheapest. also education discounts madde very little difference back when they gave them, 20.- or so on a machine.

As for the switching: sorry I misunderstood that.

gotta go, bbl,

G-News
  • Reply 42 of 48
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Why is it that everytime this subject comes up people try to compare Apple to homebrew and noname PCs?

You want to buy the machine without keyboard, RAM, mouse? Get a cheapo PC. Apple is not in this business to be a competition to the do-it-yourself PC shops. It really *IS* like comparing apples and oranges here. From Apple you get a finished product. THEY make sure that the drivers for the hardware inside will work, for example. From a PC assembler, you'll get a graphics card that needs a driver that might interfere with the driver needed for the soundcard. He'll happily sell you RAM that doesn't fit your motherboard if you don't know the specs.

Want to fiddle with your computer yourself? Go buy a PC. Install dozens of operating sytems and games, along with new hardware. Spend 70% of your time 'improving' your PC XPerience.

Or buy a Macintosh and get work done.

What I'm *really* interested in is whether the price difference between 1 GHz and 1.25 GHz is okay, or would I rather buy the cheaper version as BOTH machines are going to be slow by March.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The price premium of the highest end machines (in anybody's line-up) are hardly ever worth it, moreso with Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Billy, maybe it's because I am running 4.7.3 on 9. Anyway, I started a new thread just for this: <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001684"; target="_blank">logic performance thread</a>
  • Reply 45 of 48
    depends on what buying strategy you follow: if you follow an "upgrade rarely, but heavily" strategy, it's probably ok, especially if you buy the RAM yourself (ie not in the Apple store) and choose the combo drive instead of the superdrive.

If you buy mcas on a regular basis, say every 2 years, the DP 1GHz is probably the better deal, even more so the DP 1GHz SDR, which is now probably cheaper than the DP 1GHz DDR, while offering +/- the same performance for most tasks.

I've had my old beige g3 for more than 4.5 years before buying this machine, so I count myself to the first kind of users.

G-News
  • Reply 46 of 48
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by fryke:

<strong>Or buy a Macintosh and get work done.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, and keep that hardware configuration forever. You don't have a clue. Upgrades are just as painful on a Mac as on a PC. You either have to pay a premium or study compatibility reports all day long at xlr8yourmac. And after that, you have to download a firmware update which can't be applied on a Mac... Look, I really like OS X, but it's certainly not much better than Windows as far as compatibility is concerned.

[ 10-11-2002: Message edited by: 123 ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 48
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by fryke:

<strong>He'll happily sell you RAM that doesn't fit your motherboard if you don't know the specs.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

How about having to sell 768 MB of highest quality CL-2 RAM (Infineon) after applying Apple's famous 4.1.8 firmware update?

[ 10-11-2002: Message edited by: 123 ]</p>
  • Reply 48 of 48
    had you read the famous xlr8yourmac.com page first, you had not applied the patch

G-news