Tired of the 6800 crap? Email NVIDIA!

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    This thread really is useless without pics. Really.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

lol, got it home this morning...

First Impression:

WHERE'S MY MONITOR!!!! I have had an iMac for the last four years, and I wasn't expecting the G5 so soon, so I am yet to get out and actually buy a monitor for it. So my new G5 with 6800 is on my floor, nothing but a paperweight.

A paper weight. Now there is a first impression I have never seen before!
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Sorry, this got posted into a seperate thread, should have been in here!

Here are a few pics of the 6800 mounted inside the dual 2.5...

Close up... the damn thing is basically one huge fan, and a bunch of capacitors... I can't see a single computer chip on the whole board.

It's not as loud as it looks however....

• Reply 64 of 71
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Question to you "9600 until your 6800 comes" guys- Will you have to send that 9600 back to Apple, or is that your free piece of $100 hardware to then sell off when you get the 6800?

No it's ours to keep.

I got to purchase my G5 in town and got a $200 discount on the 6800, look at this blog entry to find out how:

http://www.blargatron-systems.com/?s=blog&a=151510399
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by UnixMac

That red light means it's plugged in you silly goose! the instruction booklet advises heavily against that.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

That red light means it's plugged in you silly goose! the instruction booklet advises heavily against that.

That's to protect against over heat.. and it was just 5 seconds for a darn photo for God sake... I doubt whether the computer is going to overheat in that time.. Plus do you really think I can stand the noise level that thing makes with the plastic removed for more than the time to snap a picture???

The instruction book also tells me how to sit at the computer and the p
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:

That's to protect against over heat.. and it was just 5 seconds for a darn photo for God sake... I doubt whether the computer is going to overheat in that time.. Plus do you really think I can stand the noise level that thing makes with the plastic removed for more than the time to snap a picture???

The instruction book also tells me how to sit at the computer and the p

LOL the only reason I know what the red light does is because that's what was doing last night trying to get my 6800 to work. I was just kidding heh
  • Reply 68 of 71
    Sorry if I was a bit thin skinned... You never know when someone is trying to be a smart ass vs just making a joke.. sorry.

BTW... does your Mac boot up into the provided CD (Install Disk 1) that came with your mac, now that your 6800 is installed? I get a kernel panic when I try it... which leads me to believe that Apple is going to need to send me a new CD for my system recovery and Disk Utility software.

• Reply 69 of 71
    Quote:

Sorry if I was a bit thin skinned... You never know when someone is trying to be a smart ass vs just making a joke.. sorry.

BTW... does your Mac boot up into the provided CD (Install Disk 1) that came with your mac, now that your 6800 is installed? I get a kernel panic when I try it... which leads me to believe that Apple is going to need to send me a new CD for my system recovery and Disk Utility software.

Nope, it doesn't boot off the OS X install disk. That was the problem I ran into in my blog article (I know, I've posted it a bunch but this is important).

My whole problem was, I didn't install the driver BEFORE I installed the card, and thus kernel panics galore.

Even the OS X install disk went into a Kernel Panic every time it was used, simply because the 6800 was present.

Even using another video card to try to boot would not bypass the problem!

The only solution is to remove the card when you have to boot off a copy of OS X which does not yet have the driver installed.

My inability to accept this as a possibility before going through hours of work was what caused my "nightmare."

This is a major design flaw, they'd better send us either a free copy of tiger or a free upgraded install CD, because I'm going to be hella annoyed if I have to open up my computer just to reinstall my OS.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Glad I wasn't the only one... and keep in mind, I did the driver install first and that wasn't my problem... it was when I went to do a disk repair using my CD ROM that all hell broke loose..

So, I hope you called them like I did and demand a solution.

We'll see..
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:

Glad I wasn't the only one... and keep in mind, I did the driver install first and that wasn't my problem... it was when I went to do a disk repair using my CD ROM that all hell broke loose..

So, I hope you called them like I did and demand a solution.

We'll see..

Oh crap a permissions repair.. didn't even think of that. This problem needs to be corrected immediately.

Well looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow :X