What does adobe have against sheets.

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Doesn't aDobe make some sort of G5 plug-in for Photoshop? Somehow, they manage to use some sort of plug-in structure for processor features like this, SSE, and such. (I assume it's not the same thing as the plug-in architecture for filters.) I'm out of my league on that one, for sure.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    WHY would Apple ever make a "64-bit-only" OS X? Don't you know 64-bit is overdoing it for most applications?
  • Reply 43 of 50
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

WHY would Apple ever make a "64-bit-only" OS X? Don't you know 64-bit is overdoing it for most applications?

What do you mean? Shouldn't it be twice as fast as 32 bit?

• Reply 44 of 50
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

What do you mean? Shouldn't it be twice as fast as 32 bit?

More bits, more fun.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Well, according to adobe's website
    Quote:

Adobe Systems generates annual revenues exceeding US $1 billion and is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol ADBE.

Whereas, Apple
    Quote:

Revenue for the quarter was $2.35 billion

Therefore, I cannot say that they are the same size company, but rather Apple should be able to buy them out, but the fact remains that MS would most likely outbid Apple to keep that from happening, so what to do?

It is broke as it stands right now, but I believe Apple will find a way to get this moving in the right direction...If it were me, I would fund and have my people at Adobe to help make the changes to optimize for my OS technologies, then nobody really loses, but that is just me....\
  • Reply 46 of 50
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    First of all, I would like to reemphasize the fact that Adobe is most certainly a cross platform company and they arent going to favor one OS over the other as far as features and interface are concerned (optimization is another thing).

Photoshop CS could have, should have, would have been an upgrade that virtually no user would do without. Sadly, the long yearned for Filter Layers capability was cut at some point in time, and I truely believe that the reason was performance. I would tax a system tramendously to have such a feature. Core Image would take care of the problem if it were tapped into and Apple made an offhand comment about that during WWDC. Hopefully when it happens, Adobe will take advantage of the technology, but there is no way they would include such a feature on the Mac if the Windows version didnt have it as well.

As far as interface is concerned, I really dont understant why anyone thinks Adobe is agressively moving toward a more Windows savy layout. Ive been using PS for going on 9 years now (since version 4), and I havent noticed a drastic change in the interface. Unless my memory decieves me, PS's interface has largely remained the same, save 2 exceptions. The first, is the addition of the horizontally oriented Options pallette, which I dont see as being PC centric in its function or look (yes, I do use PS for Windows on occasion and so I know the differences in the interface). The addition of the Browser is another story, and I do have to admit that its interface is rather PC centric.

I dont think this in anyway indicates that Adobe is looking to move away from the Mac platform as far as its CS applications are concerned. After Effects could be another story, who knows...

The notion that all Mac that use Adobe products would immediately rush headlong into purchasing PCs and upgrading their software if Adobe cut Mac support is simply absurd. It would give them one less reason to upgrade! The print industy is quite slow to move forward in purchasing hardware and software. It isnt uncommon to wait an extra version or two before upgrading. It would take Adobe several years to get its Mac user base to switch platforms, in the meantime loosing profits from an upgrade sales slump.

Honestly, unless somthing tragic happens to Apple, the primary Adobe applications are safe and sound on the Mac platform.

As far as sheets being used, I think it comes down to interface parity between the operating systems and even just within the Mac platform. How on earth would "Save for Web" work as a sheet? And if they cant impliment them there, I dont think they will use them for the normal Save and Save As functions either.

Just my 2¢
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

First of all, I would like to reemphasize the fact that Adobe is most certainly a cross platform company and they arent going to favor one OS over the other as far as features and interface are concerned

That's not entirely true. There is, afterall, more to Adobe than Photoshop and Illustrator. Take, for instance, the Acrobat family of products as well as Adobe's Document Services suite of products. Both are heavily (and in the case of Document Services, entirely) Windows-oriented. The Acrobat family is especially galling considering that one of the big appeals of PDF is its cross-platform quality. I'm seeing PDF become more and more a workplace staple and the lack of a Mac version of many of these products can only hurt us, especially in the workplace.

Just an observation.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Not to mention the fact that in Photoshop CS - buttons displaying folders do so in *yellow*, rather than the traditional Mac OS-blue! If that's not a sign that Adobe is abandoning the Mac platform in favor of Windows, then I don't know what is!!
  • Reply 49 of 50
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thorzdad

That's not entirely true. There is, afterall, more to Adobe than Photoshop and Illustrator. Take, for instance, the Acrobat family of products as well as Adobe's Document Services suite of products. Both are heavily (and in the case of Document Services, entirely) Windows-oriented. The Acrobat family is especially galling considering that one of the big appeals of PDF is its cross-platform quality. I'm seeing PDF become more and more a workplace staple and the lack of a Mac version of many of these products can only hurt us, especially in the workplace.

Just an observation.

I was actually talking just about existing programs for the Mac, but I do see your point. I didnt realize just how many Acrobat oriented products there really were. Perhaps Im missing somthing, but I dont see why they need so many products in that area and why they havent consolidated their effforts into fewer products that do more. However, I think we need to remember that they are targeting enterprise level businesses, and Apple doesnt have a strong presence there, though it certainly wouldnt hurt to have the option.

As far as Acrobat itself is concerned, perhaps I just havent noticed any difference in features or interface (most of my Acrobat experience has been on the PC). I dont see the lack having Acrobat Elements a problem, since this functionality is built into OS X. If the next version of Windows supported direct PDF printing Im sure the program would get scrapped entirely.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thorzdad

Just an observation.

Most Acrobat products are Windows only since there aren't many enterprise Mac OS X clients - yet

Elements (which is basically built-in in Mac OS X) is only available in 1,000+ seats licenses.