Apple Home Entertainment

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    I think that Programmer is on the right track, because of the modular approach. Have a box to access, and perform the necessary conversions for audio/video data that is kept in a separate (your MAC, an xServe <I always get the spelling/caps on this one mixed up, forgive me if I did ... again>, an external storage device <network or otherwise>) area. This gives the buyer options ... if you're a geek like me ... you'll have your house networked with gigabit ethernet, an xServe, one of these A/V boxes, and all your wired and wireless devices that can access your xServe.

Programmer's box will tie into its storage device to access whatever media you choose (audio -iTunes, movies, Tivio type programming), and/or record whatever media you program it to record (with or without commercials???)

Anyway, that's what i'd like to see. I like options.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacJedai

I think that Programmer is on the right track, because of the modular approach. Have a box to access, and perform the necessary conversions for audio/video data that is kept in a separate (your MAC, an xServe <I always get the spelling/caps on this one mixed up, forgive me if I did ... again>, an external storage device <network or otherwise>) area. This gives the buyer options ... if you're a geek like me ... you'll have your house networked with gigabit ethernet, an xServe, one of these A/V boxes, and all your wired and wireless devices that can access your xServe.

Programmer's box will tie into its storage device to access whatever media you choose (audio -iTunes, movies, Tivio type programming), and/or record whatever media you program it to record (with or without commercials???)

I think the iPod experience has also shown that it needs to talk to Windows boxes (although not quite as slickly as Macs, of course). It should be a simple, cheap device that you can very easily add to your existing system and get benefit from. If you already have a TiVo, you'll still want it. If you have a Mac or a PC with or without a PVR solution you will still want it. Look at the AirPort Express -- this is part of the way there. Its small, cheap, unobtrusive and delivers some obviously useful functionality. As somebody said above, make an AV version of it that sits in the stereo component rack and does HDTV video & image stills.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I think that the real answer is Steve Jobs is CEO of Pixar, a video media company, and not a RIAA company. He doesn't want what has happened in audio with MP3 to happen to video. He, at least, could be presented with conflicts of acting in good faith for one company, Apple, at the expense of another, Pixar.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TKN

I think that the real answer is Steve Jobs is CEO of Pixar, a video media company, and not a RIAA company. He doesn't want what has happened in audio with MP3 to happen to video. He, at least, could be presented with conflicts of acting in good faith for one company, Apple, at the expense of another, Pixar.

That does present a conflict of interest. I think widespread use of computers as PVRs would put an end to PPV movies.

Although DVD ripping and trans-coding was supposed to put an end to video sales too, so we'll see.

I think Jobs knows the demand for super-TV is not what it could be yet. Cable companies are dragging their feet on using a unified digital format, and it's going nowhere until it does.

Right now you have to rent a box from your cable company, in addition to paying for digital cable, and on top of the HDTV monthly costs.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

Hi,

Can you verify that it can play AAC files. I have a TiVO and have been waiting for this functionality (and putting suggestion after suggestion) but have not been able to find/see an upgrade. If it really exists I'll find it.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott I was able to verify today that he indeed can access AAC files using HMO. He just got the new Series2.

Quote:

That does present a conflict of interest. I think widespread use of computers as PVRs would put an end to PPV movies.

Not really. These are two different concepts.

PVR- Record channels just like a VCR but with some nifty features added in.

PPV- Paying for content that is "special" and not normally available on regular paid TV.

The two definitely are not mutually exclusive. In fact I believe a PVR may enhance PPV programming.

Quote:

Right now you have to rent a box from your cable company, in addition to paying for digital cable, and on top of the HDTV monthly costs.

Incorrect on the box rental. Comcast and all the majors have already rolled out the FCC mandated Cablecards. The trick is you have to ask for them. Cablecards will allow TVs with built in Cablecard slots to receive premium content without the need for a box rental. I hope to see a Cablecard Tivo someday which can replace the STB and offer the same great Tivo functionality.

I've detailed how Apple can make some waves here. I'm sure they have something in their labs...a skunkworks project or two. Digital Lifestyle has to encompass more than Pictures and Sound at a basic level.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Not really. These are two different concepts.

PVR- Record channels just like a VCR but with some nifty features added in.

PPV- Paying for content that is "special" and not normally available on regular paid TV.

The two definitely are not mutually exclusive. In fact I believe a PVR may enhance PPV programming.

I know, but like with internet radio, if they can, they'll try to shut it down. With it on the computer, the potential for abuse is staggering according to the MP/RIAA.

Imagine if the PPV movie's were being TiVo'd in divx format directly onto computers; ready to be shared online. I'm sure companies like Pixar wouldn't license their movies to PPV anymore.

Quote:

Incorrect on the box rental. Comcast and all the majors have already rolled out the FCC mandated Cablecards. The trick is you have to ask for them. Cablecards will allow TVs with built in Cablecard slots to receive premium content without the need for a box rental. I hope to see a Cablecard Tivo someday which can replace the STB and offer the same great Tivo functionality.

I've detailed how Apple can make some waves here. I'm sure they have something in their labs...a skunkworks project or two. Digital Lifestyle has to encompass more than Pictures and Sound at a basic level.

I called Cox two days ago, they offered no such thing. Cox is a major provider servicing much, if not all, of the Southwestern United States.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Scott I was able to verify today that he indeed can access AAC files using HMO. He just got the new Series2.

hmurchison, thanks. I just looked on the TiVo web site to upgrade, or whatever, and found this.

Quote:

Get TiVo Desktop for Mac v. 1.8 (236kb) Updated April 02, 2004 (works with iPhoto 4).

Special note: for the highest levels of performance and security available, please be sure to upgrade to TiVo Desktop for Mac v. 1.8 now.

also: does not support AAC audio files (including music purchased at the iTunes Music Store).

If there's a trick out there it would be great if your friend could share it (just for AAC, don't need Music Store stuff

Thanks,

Scott
  • Reply 68 of 68
    The concern over piracy is over-inflated. With a protection mechanism like FairPlay and reasonable pricing its a viable product. If Apple controls the hardware/software end-to-end then they can enforce whatever rules they want, just like they do for the iTMS media. For example, the PVR could allow for a maximum number of viewings before deleting the content -- and this could be controlled by protection flags in the content sent across FireWire. There are solutions, and they don't have to be 100% they just have to ensure that it is easier to play by the rules than to break them. Most thieves who try hard enough to break the protection wouldn't be buying the product in the first place, and anyone who does it to try and sell the content on the black market can be attacked using legal means.