New Apple eMac in the works

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
New versions of Apple's educational eMac are reportedly in the pipeline, though their arrival remains a mystery.

Apple Computer is reportedly working to revamp its eMac all-in-one desktop offerings, according to reports from multiple sources.

Rumors that the company may soon refresh the education-based product line are backed by several factors, including a rare leveling of supply and demand, dwindling channel inventory, and a sharp decline in orders for the computers to Apple's overseas manufacturing facilities.

Reliable reports have also indicated that the company plans to introduce a reworked version of an existing desktop computer later this year, coinciding with due revisions to eMacs life cycle. This product, according to sources, has been under development at Apple for nearly 10 months and features slight external and major internal modifications to one of the company's current offerings.

Over the last few weeks, Apple distributors such as Ingram Micro have seen unsolicited inventory dumps of current eMac configurations--a typical occurrence just prior to imminent product announcements from Apple. Additionally, sources claim that arrival estimates for further eMac shipments have jumped into late-October even though no orders appear to be pending.

Exactly when Apple plans to introduce the new models remains an uncertainty, as the company's inventory management practices have sometimes proved to be deceiving.

According to sources, Apple has been developing a redesigned eMac based around a G5 processor and more robust graphics processor, but may still choose to introduce one more incarnation of the eMac G4 due to current cost efficiency and supply concerns associated with the G5.

Apple introduced its present generation of eMacs in May of 2003, but updated the performance of the computers only once in the 18 months that have followed. Last November the company slashed prices across the product line, allowing it to offer a low-end eMac configuration to educational buyers at just shy of (US)$600.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 174
    Would be great if they could manage to produce an updated eMac at edu institutional pricing of $599 and $649 for individual edu purchases. $699 for all others, but would be hard to do this with a G5 chip. A G4 model at a lower price point would be attractive to some switchers, but only if it was done with a reasonable profit margin.
  • Reply 2 of 174
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Reliable reports have also indicated that the company plans to introduce a reworked version of an existing desktop computer later this year, coinciding with due revisions to eMacs life cycle. This product, according to sources, has been under development at Apple for nearly 10 months and features slight external and major internal modifications to one of the company's current offerings.

What the hell could this be? Could it be a G5 light - err a G5 in a Quicksilver case? or A single G5 in a current Power Mac case? Could it be a iMac G5 in all aluminum trimmings ... read Special edition...read no white plastic??? Intrigue. Mystery. Oh, what could this be?
  • Reply 3 of 174
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The eMac is a great product, and CRTs are cheaper than LCDs. I expect the eMac has a long life ahead of it.

What about other products? Lots of people (me included) think Apple needs a headless machine. Some say it should be a cheaper pro machine for people who want to add cards. Some say it should be for gamers. But the BIGGEST market for a new headless is simply to offer the lowest possible entry-price for a Mac. (Don't expect that machine to be a high-end gamer's choice.)

To achieve that lowest price, I think Apple needs to keep a G4 desktop--maybe an eMac, maybe a headless.

After all, if the bottom-end iBook is acceptable to some (my sister loves hers) then the same exact performance in a desktop should cost even less. Especially if you don't add a CRT.

Apple could always sell their own eMac-style CRT for it.
  • Reply 4 of 174
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    What about the current iMac form factor but with a G4?
  • Reply 5 of 174
    Apple has a lot of options right now. If the G5 is available in large quantities then it might work for the eMac. If not then there is the Freescale option, IF it is cheaper than a G5.

Personally I do not believe that Apple will deliver a single G5 mini tower this year as the focus will be on existing platforms. There is an opportunity in January for releasing a headless entry level computer, but I believe it would be a lower priority than the eMac and iBook.
  • Reply 6 of 174
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

What the hell could this be? Could it be a G5 light - err a G5 in a Quicksilver case? or A single G5 in a current Power Mac case? Could it be a iMac G5 in all aluminum trimmings ... read Special edition...read no white plastic??? Intrigue. Mystery. Oh, what could this be?

CUBE

I want to believe... 8)
  • Reply 7 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

What about the current iMac form factor but with a G4?

I don't think Apple would want to dilute their branding of the iMac with a slower processor.

Also, I'd bet that less than 15 or 20% of the cost of a new iMac is related to the G5 processor. Most of it is wrapped up in the LCD.
  • Reply 8 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

What the hell could this be? Could it be a G5 light - err a G5 in a Quicksilver case? or A single G5 in a current Power Mac case?

This was my thought also...

Quote:

Sources expect the company to offer three dual-processor configurations with 2.5GHz, 2GHz, and 1.8GHz PowerPC G5s, as well as an entry-level single-processor 1.8GHz model

Source: ThinkSecret
  • Reply 9 of 174
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I know many who would buy a headless eMac G5 in a heartbeat, even if they cost the same as existing eMac. Particularly if it has AGP and PCI slots.
  • Reply 10 of 174
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I doubt that the G5 will cost more than the G4, that would be a retrograde step. No business plan would include the provision of more expensive processors whilst the price of hardware is still falling. Consequently, I see no barrier to a G5 eMac on cost grounds. There are problems with the portables, but introducing a G5 eMac is not going to affect that.

The issue is supply, and product placement. The iMac is a premium product, even with spec parity, I can't see anyone who wants a 17" iMac going for an eMac if they could afford it. The iMac is cool the eMac is functional and schools will love it.
  • Reply 11 of 174
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filburt

I know many who would buy a headless eMac G5 in a heartbeat, even if they cost the same as existing eMac. Particularly if it has AGP and PCI slots.

Given the simple fact that the eMac (and the iMac) DO NOT have AGP *or* PCI slots one could hardly expect a headless eMac or a headless iMac to have them.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 174
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filburt

Of course you do, there aren't any other flexible options at the pricepoint. We all know people interested in what you've mentioned..in fact you could swing a dead cat without hitting at least 5 of them.

Apple could easily offer a G5 eMac and it makes sense. The G4 isn't quickening the heartbeat of any buyer out there. Apple could easily bring the eMac in at 1.2 and 1.4Ghz conservatively and engender good will. Then the G4 would simply be the "portable" CPU.

The G4 can't be that cheap anymore now that Apple is basically only using in in less than half their lineup. Economies of scale. 1.2-1.4Gh G5 cpus should be relatively easy to yield. Heat should not be a factor.
  • Reply 13 of 174
    Could this new eMac(G5?) be the mysterious Powermac 9,1?
  • Reply 14 of 174
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think that is a safe assumption...I was thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 15 of 174
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Could this new eMac(G5?) be the mysterious Powermac 9,1?

Not unless Apple suddenly abandons its appoach to even-number consumer (eMac/iMac) numbering for odd-number professional (powermac/cube) numbering. No it would probably be something like PowerMac8,2 (8,1 being the new iMac G5). Alas, nothing exists in 10.3.5, but may show up in 10.3.6.
  • Reply 16 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Not unless Apple suddenly abandons its appoach to even-number consumer (eMac/iMac) numbering for odd-number professional (powermac/cube) numbering. No it would probably be something like PowerMac8,2 (8,1 being the new iMac G5). Alas, nothing exists in 10.3.5, but may show up in 10.3.6.

If odd numbers are pro products whats the iMac doing in the odds?

EDIT: Nevermind. I got confused with the ,1.
  • Reply 17 of 174
    Prior to the introduction of the iMac G5, the eMac and iMac G4 were pretty well matched. Major differences were video (ATI vs. nVidia), screen (CRT vs. LCD) and faster RAM on the iMac. Processor speeds on the eMac were 1.25 GHz while the 15" iMac was actually only 1 GHz, with 1.25 GHz only in the 17" and 20" G5 iMacs.

Based on that, it's completely possibly that Apple could update the eMac to the 1.6 GHz G5 (same as the bottom-end 17" iMac). Video would be the ATI Radeon 9600 or nVidia 5200 with 64 MB of VRAM (both CoreImage compliant), still a CRT screen, and the same RAM as on the iMac.

Even with those specs, it wouldn't compete with the the 1.8 GHz iMacs and the fancy LCD screen, yet it would be an amazing machine if they could keep the prices exactly where they are.

The only issue is having both the PowerBooks and iBooks at G4 still. I don't know if they would be willing to give the eMac a G5 while that is still the case. But here's hoping...
  • Reply 18 of 174
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I have little doubt that Apple KNOWS a headless would sell, and is working on one. (Maybe it's been awaiting G5 availability.)

But I don't expect it to have upgradable GPU or expansions slots. That will disappoint some who wanted a cheap PowerMac, but it will keep the entry cost as low as possible, and will keep the new headless from out-speccing the iMac. All a headless has to do is offer the lowest entry point for people who can't imagine spending $799 on a computer with a display.

That doesn't mean a new low-end PowerMac (same model with a single CPU) wouldn't also sell. I'm sure it would. But it would be a different product from a bottom-end consumer headless.
  • Reply 19 of 174
    The new eMac will NOT be a headless unit! Get over it!
  • Reply 20 of 174
    Anybody remember this ?