SuperDrive 1 GHz PowerBooks

Comments

• Reply 81 of 192
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>ARGH! Apple is at it again. Configure a 1GHz TiBook at the US store... you can upgrade to 1GB of RAM for $300 US, apply an instant $260 credit, and it costs you a whopping $40 to got to 1GB. Obviously a no-brainer, and a hell of a deal.

Do the same thing at the Canadian Apple Store, and what does it cost you? $480 CDN. ($300 US)

No discounts now at the Canadian store. They were there with the previous models....

</strong><hr></blockquote>

sometimes the deals extend to canda and the UK in a little while... perhaps you should wait a week or two and see if it changes
  • Reply 82 of 192
    [quote]Originally posted by clonenode:

<strong>It's so cool that the SuperDrive is in there. What a surprise! Pioneer must have had a hard time keeping that a secret.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is it really from Pioneer? I have not found the specs yet.
  • Reply 83 of 192
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Count me as another getting the 1 Ghz w/ 1 GB of RAM for $2350 with my new student ADC account. You are the hook up, mntrapper. We all need to give you a hand. Talk about justifying an impulse buy!

Now who wants my ti500 w/ 40 GB drive and 768 MB of RAM? Brand new battery and brand new power adapter included.

remember that the ti500 is faster than even the 16 MB 667 in media apps.

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: giant ]</p>
  • Reply 84 of 192
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by Steve:

<strong>

The problem was the my PowerMac G4 broke down. I had no choice, since I was without a computer for a few weeks, and had nightly papers to write. I couldn't keep using my neighbor's computer like that. I waited and waited and waited and waited and waited. October 15th, they said. October 25th, they said. There was nothing I could do... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Should have listened to my advice bro, buy an iBook as a tide-me-over. I sold it last week, got the money today - ended up costing my about $90 to use it for a month.

I could now grab an 800 MHz model and pocket a few bucks, or go for a TiBook...

If you HAVE to buy something, and you think an update is possibly coming, you shouldn't buy top of the line. That's too bad Steve, I feel for ya. That's a huge hunk of change to lose overnight...

And yeah applenut, I haven't decided what to buy anyway, so I'll wait it out. I'll see how the user reports are for these new models first, I'm in no hurry.

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 85 of 192
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    murbot, you are one crazy mofo. Really.
  • Reply 86 of 192
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>ARGH! Apple is at it again. Configure a 1GHz TiBook at the US store... you can upgrade to 1GB of RAM for $300 US, apply an instant $260 credit, and it costs you a whopping $40 to got to 1GB. Obviously a no-brainer, and a hell of a deal.

Do the same thing at the Canadian Apple Store, and what does it cost you? $480 CDN. ($300 US)

No discounts now at the Canadian store. They were there with the previous models....

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Resist Murbot resist.

Repeat after me...

I do not need another new computer

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 87 of 192
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    On the model with 64MB of VRAM, what kind of resolution would it support if it were connected to an external monitor (say, 15 inch CRT)?
  • Reply 88 of 192
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Both models will power an external display up to 2048 by 1536. Your 15" CRT will be the limiting factor in that res you can run, not the Ti.
  • Reply 89 of 192
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

<strong>

The problem was the my PowerMac G4 broke down. I had no choice, since I was without a computer for a few weeks, and had nightly papers to write. I couldn't keep using my neighbor's computer like that. I waited and waited and waited and waited and waited. October 15th, they said. October 25th, they said. There was nothing I could do... </strong><hr></blockquote>

No offense....but there was a lot you could have done. It's one thing if it is a conscious decision and you still feel OK after they release something better.....but to come in here and complain about it? Whatever. If you are mad, it shouldn't be at Apple. I waited for months on a Pismo when I had NO computer....well, other than a Duo Dock without internet access. You could have borrowed one or even bought a cheapy off ebay, then resold it. You got impatient.
  • Reply 90 of 192
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I also want to add that the way I have always done it is to buy just one notch away from the best as soon as it is released.....that's the way to make sure you stay current without buying a new comp. every 6 months. My Pismo is still in great shape and I could keep it....though I'm in a better position now to buy one so I probably will.

Speaking of that folks, I may put mine up on ebay soon so email if you want a crack at it. It's got JAG and 384 RAM, 500MHZ +airport.
  • Reply 91 of 192
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Well Steve, I sold my PowerBook Ti400 after only owning it a year and purchased an iMac G4800. I waited a month and a half for it to arrive. And guess what I used in the mean time!!! A god forsaken Performa 6400/200!!!!!!! I was quite happy to get my iMac when it finally came. I can tell you right now my next computer will be a G5. I love my iMac though!!!

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: Algol ]</p>
  • Reply 92 of 192
    word.

i had ordered the ti800 last saturday, then a bunch of rumors started coming down about the new models on the 6th. I thought I was going to get screwed. My order hadn't shipped! I cancelled! Now I'm getting the 1ghz w/ superdrive and all the extras for $400 cheaper. I really need it right now, but it will be worth the wait. I'm glad I listened to the rumor board, although the last few months of false alarms were starting to get to me.
  • Reply 93 of 192
    I was kinda hoping for built-in Bluetooth.....
  • Reply 94 of 192
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>The 1849USD config is just a storage bumped version of the 1599 model. Shoulda been dropped completely from the line-up and filled with a 1999 version of the Ti -- something with only a Radeon7500 and 30GB, like the iBooks, but with the Ti shell and Ti's screen.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's no official $1849 model anyway. That's just a custom configuration. Generally, only people who visit the Apple Store will even know about it.
  • Reply 95 of 192
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Well, I guess it isn't THAT much of an incredible value now. I realized that I'm sitting on 1GB of RAM and a 60GB, 5400RPM hard disk (a speed they don't even offer anymore). Plus, I got a free AirPort card. Plus, you guys are going to be waiting for almost a month for your new Ti's. I still feel special.
  • Reply 96 of 192
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>Well, I guess it isn't THAT much of an incredible value now. I realized that I'm sitting on 1GB of RAM and a 60GB, 5400RPM hard disk (a speed they don't even offer anymore). Plus, I got a free AirPort card. Plus, you guys are going to be waiting for almost a month for your new Ti's. I still feel special. </strong><hr></blockquote>

denial never works man
  • Reply 97 of 192
    It's not denial, it's rationalization !!

(/me says as I type on a Ti 800 1 GB / 60 MB)

but I got mine in September, on an Apple discount deal for $2400 or so.... no complaints here !!
  • Reply 98 of 192
    I purchased the top of the line powerbook today with my adc student membership deal. This is my first apple machine ever! A month ago I was going to buy, but the speculation kept me in check. What was another month to someone who had waited 24 years already.

I can't wait for 3 weeks to pass. Woohoo! Merry Christmas right back at ya Apple!.

-Chris
  • Reply 99 of 192
    All right. I'm not pissed about buying my PB-800 on the day of the New York Expo in July, but I have always yelled and yelled for a Superdrive.

So now:

HEY, APPLE! LET ME UPGRADE TO A SUPERDRIVE!

-- PEte
  • Reply 100 of 192
    Does anyone know if the local Apple retail stores give educators the education discount? I am a teacher and when I get paid I want to walk in and get a brand spanking new powerbook. I have my teachers association card, school id...I would love to walk in plunk down the $$ and walk out with it (no waiting for shipping) Anyways I cant wait