iTunes for Canada now accessible

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple (finally) presses play on iTunes for Canada.

Apple Computer on Thursday officially launched its iTunes Music Store in Canada, offering Canadian music fans the same features and price of $.99 CDN per song that have lifted iTunes to the number one online music service in the world.

"The demand across Canada for the iTunes Music Store has been overwhelming," said Eddy Cue, Apple?s vice president of Applications. "We are excited to be able to offer music fans in Canada their own customized iTunes Music Store featuring many top Canadian artist exclusives."

The iTunes Music Store in Canada features over 700,000 songs and dozens of exclusive tracks from a wide variety of leading worldwide artists, including songs from Alanis Morissette, The Tragically Hip, Sarah McLachlan, Auf Der Maur, Delerium, Black Eyed Peas, Chingy, Toby Keith, Diana Krall and 3 Doors Down. "Push" from Sarah McLachlan and "The Love Song" from K-Os are also featured as exclusive videos.

With the same personal use rights as in the US and Europe, the iTunes Music Store in Canada gives users the ability to play songs on up to five personal computers, burn a single song onto CDs an unlimited number of times, burn the same playlist up to seven times and listen to their music on an unlimited number of iPods. The iTunes Music Store in Canada also offers PC and Mac users the same features including: iMix, Party Shuffle, Artist Alerts, gift certificates, jewel case label printing, a large variety of audiobooks and automatic WMA to AAC conversion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Ummm...you can select the Canadian store, but it seems to bring you right back to the U.S. one.

edit: my bad...had to change my country in my profile.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Ummm...you can select the Canadian store, but it seems to bring you right back to the U.S. one.

I'm in the Canadian store, and pricing seems a bit wacky. The new 37 track Depeche Mode remixes collection is priced at $9.99 (C$). Haven't bothered trying to take advantage of this price, but this can't be right.

<edit>

Well, now it's gone. I guess there are some database issues.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    great...but where are all the songs??

Number of songs: USA / CAN (searched through iTMS)

Nirvana: 231 / 122

Black Eyed Peas: 72 / 21

Tragically hip: 69 / 42 !!!!!

Rolling stones: 282 / 241

Beyonce: 26 / 19

U2: 666 / 540

more 'CDN' talent

Barenaked Ladies 214 / 207

Celine Dion 207 / 96

Bryan Adams 142 / 113

"canada" 174 / 21 !!!!!!!

ummm.......weak
  • Reply 4 of 34
    patience man, patience. the US didn't have 230 Nirvana songs in its first day either.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Patience is not a virtue on this forum.

Now we will have the complainers.......not enough songs.........not the right artists.........price differentials.........etc.

Don't we have fun!

In due time all will be back to normal.......except.......when will the Japanese store open!
  • Reply 6 of 34
    I sometimes think Apple fan(atics) can be brain dead. Those that aren't know that each time a new store is opened it takes time to get up to speed as far as product.

The whining is getting oh so predictable. Canadians, all 32 million potential buyers, are a drop in the bucket in numbers to Apple. The company isn't going to even eek out a minimal profit there for quite a while, if ever. You're even getting the best price for downloads then any other local store. Be glad you've got an iTMS to call your own. If you aren't, that's OK too. You have plenty of other, more impotant things to complain about... such as no NHL hockey!
  • Reply 7 of 34
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple (finally) presses play on iTunes for Canada.

Apple Computer on Thursday officially launched its iTunes Music Store in Canada, offering Canadian music fans the same features and price of $.99 CDN per song that have lifted iTunes to the number one online music service in the world.

"The demand across Canada for the iTunes Music Store has been overwhelming," said Eddy Cue, Apple?s vice president of Applications. "We are excited to be able to offer music fans in Canada their own customized iTunes Music Store featuring many top Canadian artist exclusives."

The iTunes Music Store in Canada features over 700,000 songs and dozens of exclusive tracks from a wide variety of leading worldwide artists, including songs from Alanis Morissette, The Tragically Hip, Sarah McLachlan, Auf Der Maur, Delerium, Black Eyed Peas, Chingy, Toby Keith, Diana Krall and 3 Doors Down. "Push" from Sarah McLachlan and "The Love Song" from K-Os are also featured as exclusive videos.

With the same personal use rights as in the US and Europe, the iTunes Music Store in Canada gives users the ability to play songs on up to five personal computers, burn a single song onto CDs an unlimited number of times, burn the same playlist up to seven times and listen to their music on an unlimited number of iPods. The iTunes Music Store in Canada also offers PC and Mac users the same features including: iMix, Party Shuffle, Artist Alerts, gift certificates, jewel case label printing, a large variety of audiobooks and automatic WMA to AAC conversion.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    It's aboot time!

• Reply 9 of 34
    I wonder if we'll get free songs each week, too? As of yet, none.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Bob

Patience is not a virtue on this forum.

Now we will have the complainers.......not enough songs.........not the right artists.........price differentials.........etc.

Don't we have fun!

In due time all will be back to normal.......except.......when will the Japanese store open!

Heh, heh, heh .... so true of mac fans the world over. It's not what you have today, but what we should have had yesterday!

By the way, last rumor I heard was mid-summer 2005 for the Japanese iTMS to open.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    why are canadians complaining? at 99¢ they are getting american exchange rate prices. even with the dollar's weakness lately that's what? 85¢ a song.

quit crying.

another of Apple's big problems is publishing clearances, if they aren't sure about a track they hold it back. so it will take time to catch up.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Sadly, after such a long wait, the Canada iTunes Store SUCKS SERIOUS ASS. The selection is completely crippled -- not a SINGLE ONE of the many releases I was interested in on the US store is available in ours.

Thanks a lot Apple! This is a freaking JOKE. If a real music store opened up around here with a selection this poor, they would be out of business within a month. Apple had better step up to the plate and bring the selection up to par with the US store, because this is absolutely pathetic.

How incredibly disappointing. Such a long wait for nothing.

• Reply 13 of 34
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stormchild

Sadly, after such a long wait, the Canada iTunes Store SUCKS SERIOUS ASS. The selection is completely crippled -- not a SINGLE ONE of the many releases I was interested in on the US store is available in ours.

Thanks a lot Apple! This is a freaking JOKE. If a real music store opened up around here with a selection this poor, they would be out of business within a month. Apple had better step up to the plate and bring the selection up to par with the US store, because this is absolutely pathetic.

Quit crying. Talk with your money and purchase songs from another music service which has the songs you want. Apple will hear your wallet before they hear your cries.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    When will the Swedish store open?

(just joking)
  • Reply 15 of 34
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Thanks a lot Apple!

Be sure to scream at the music publishers too, you know, the ones who give the rights for Apple to sell the tracks.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    does anyone have a contact number to call someone about signing up for itunes?? the piece of shit wont accept my security code on my credit card, im pretty sure i know how to read 3 digits in a row and type that in. there is no number i could locate on their website. i just want to sign up and buy music from them, you would think they would like that. my credit card works fine anywhere else online requiring a security code.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Did you make sure your profile said you were in Canada? A lot of epople who perused the US iTMS have experienced a roadblock for this reason. Also, have you tried this page or any of the links from it?

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/itunes/musicstore.html
  • Reply 18 of 34
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    ive never signed up for other itunes countries before, this is my first time and i had a province drop down list. so, its not that at all. it just wont accept my security code. i sent an email but i want this solved now, and since they probably wont do shit all, i want a phone number.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

ive never signed up for other itunes countries before, this is my first time and i had a province drop down list. so, its not that at all. it just wont accept my security code. i sent an email but i want this solved now, and since they probably wont do shit all, i want a phone number.

Thats the problem I'm having. On the PC, it won't say its a problem with the security code, it accepts it but then keeps prompting me to update my billing info. When I do the same on the Mac, it finally says its my security code.

And like you said, its 3 friggen #s... Funny thing is I've used the same CC about 100 times for other Apple products and it was never a problem. And now it is ?
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Classic trolling. Total submissions = 1.

Quote: