Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.7 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    I also have the old Preview and I used the combo update.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It may be just a need for the Finder to refresh. Finder is reporting it as 2.1.0 for me as well, but inspecting the version.plist down in the app shows 2.1.1.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    I dunno. Get Info says the old version number, a search in Finder says the same old version number, and About has a 2003 date and the old version number. I've rebooted and logged off as well.

Edited: It says it was modified on 12/10/04, so something changed.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    I had the same, but if you ctrl-click on Preview.app, and Show Package Contents, then drill down to the version.plist file and either open it in Property List Editor (if you have the dev tools instaleld) or in TextEdit, you'll see the version number as 2.1.1. So the actual info is correct in there, Finder just isn't seeing it yet.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Hmmm. I wonder why I still have the old version of Preview?

Its probably because Preview basically is just a front end to the underlying tech that handles PDFs. Sort of like if Apple updates QuickTime components to fix display problems, they don't have to update Quicktime player.

Same goes with Safari and updates to WebKit.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I had the same, but if you ctrl-click on Preview.app, and Show Package Contents, then drill down to the version.plist file and either open it in Property List Editor (if you have the dev tools instaleld) or in TextEdit, you'll see the version number as 2.1.1. So the actual info is correct in there, Finder just isn't seeing it yet.

If I open Preview, then go to About Preview, it says 2.1.0 (v211) for me. Where does it pull that data from? Plist says 2.1.1 for me though.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Thanks . I also had finder showing the old version, but the version.plist has the correct info.

Dave.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    The Finder caches such info, and apparently it wasn't properly updated after the updated of Preview.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Whew!! Good thing we got to the bottom of Previewgate. Anyway, I noticed that icons STILL don't fucking stay put on the desktop with snap to grid. AAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM A NEATNIK THIS IS KILLING ME!!

ok just had to let off some steam!

On another note: really seeing the "snappiness." Is it just me or does Safari start faster and load pages faster? FireFox still embarrasses it though, as Safari still has that "pause" or "lag."
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I've updated, without any issues, but I checked the version number of Preview before I upgraded to 10.3.7 and it seems to be the same as the post-update Preview.

10.3.6 - 2.1.0 (v211)

10.3.7 - 2.1.0 (v211)

So much for an updated version of Preview for me.

Can someone who hasn't updated check the version number of Preview and post it here? Maybe I'm just on glue.

I am just about to upgrade and I had a look in System Profiler and i have 2.1.1 that was last updated in October? Will see what changes after the update.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Has anyone's iBook froze since updating? Ours randomly froze on 10.3.6 and even the apple engineer had to roll it back to 10.3.5 as a fix.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Is there native support for any dual-layer DVD burners? I know that there is patchburn and toast but I've been waiting for Apple support before I buy any of those drives.

I'd also like to know that!

Apparently, the latest G5 towers are already shipping with the Pioneer DVR-108 drive, but Apple has repeated their "crippled by firmware" trick again.

There are many people out there who have Rev. A G5s and DVR-107 drives, but can only burn at 4x, when the hardware is perfectly capable of burning at 8x.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Hmmm..

My G5 froze twice today soon after I logged into a different user. Anyone else experiencing this? I thought it might have been menu meters, but I turned them off and all extras the first time it froze. It still happened again. Everything in the top-right menu gets a spinning beach-ball.

\
  • Reply 34 of 79
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

I'd also like to know that!

Apparently, the latest G5 towers are already shipping with the Pioneer DVR-108 drive, but Apple has repeated their "crippled by firmware" trick again.

There are many people out there who have Rev. A G5s and DVR-107 drives, but can only burn at 4x, when the hardware is perfectly capable of burning at 8x.

I have a lacie dual-layer dvd writer and it's brilliant. You can;'t burn dual layer DVDs in iLife but if you go through toast you can create DL DVDs. The trick is to save your iLife project as the format you want to read it as on the DVD to your hard drive and then use toast.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Installed the 10.3.7 update on a G5 1.8MP and whilst the system ran really well for the first 10 minutes or so, it has since begun lagging and surfing the web in Mozilla, IE and Safari is suddenly painfully slow! Anyone else experienced this? All other apps seem to run fine and all peripherals seem to work ok...
  • Reply 36 of 79
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Try looking for anything "different" in TOP. (Open up terminal and type "top")

TWAIN(somethingrather) seems to be popping up every minute or so along with 2-3 instances of Image capture. When I open Image capture, 1-2 instances stay open. It turns out I also have 4 instances of "httpd" open, but bit torrent is open in another user.

Nonetheless, I think I now found what was crashing my G5. My scanner software got pooched somehow. That's going to be a pain to reinstall. Oh well, I'll do it tomorrow.

Anyone know what "qtimageser" is in TOP? Sounds like a Quicktime Image Server, but I don't remember installing anything like it. (As I type this it dissapears) Hehe

As you can guess, its been a whie since I used TOP.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Anyone noticed a problem with Mail.app after the upgrade? I have a large number of messages and it was always a bit slow to load, but now....!! It either stalls or goes to the spinning wheel and takes an age to load up - needs several tries sometimes.

I repaired permssions after the upgrade and everything else seems ok.

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 38 of 79
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

but Apple has repeated their "crippled by firmware" trick again.

:

Why do they do this!!!
  • Reply 39 of 79
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

Anyone noticed a problem with Mail.app after the upgrade? I have a large number of messages and it was always a bit slow to load, but now....!! It either stalls or goes to the spinning wheel and takes an age to load up - needs several tries sometimes.

Any thoughts?

my mail is exactly the same, in fact everything is the same, noticed nothing since installing!
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

Any thoughts?

Whilst I haven't had this problem, I have solved the internet speed issue and a few system lagging issues by having to fix permissions FOUR times. Try repairing your permissions again a few times - it seems to have worked for me in all cases!