Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.7 Update

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    Back to Previewgate for a minute here.

I've used Cocktail to run all of the daily/weekly/monthly jobs, fixed prebind caching, rebuilt the dependancies, and still Preview is being reported in the Finder and the 'About Preview' box as 2.1.0 (v211).

What the hell do I have to do to get the stupid thing to report the correct version number?

The fact that the rest of my system works perfectly has melted away in my mind. I'm becoming fixated on this one issue. Grrr.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    Update fixed an issue with effects in Myst IV: Revelation. Great game but not quite as good as Riven!

G5 1.8 MP (orig)

GeForce 6800 Ultra

5 GB RAM
  • Reply 63 of 79
    I'm sure that the world will keep turning even if the Preview version number doesn't update, no matter how silly it seems.

On another note 8GB of RAM is just ridiculuous, it seems to me. That's bigger than the first iPod. (Oh, I know that there are people that use it, but from another angle one that's more than nine and a half hours of CD music in RAM.)

Hands up if your current computer has larger Video RAM than your first Hard Drive.

-sticks his hand up-

I love technology.

Mendosi
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mendosi

Hands up if your current computer has larger Video RAM than your first Hard Drive.

-sticks his hand up-

I love technology.

Mendosi

My first hard drive was an 80 MB jobbie on a duo 210. I used Disk Doubler and RAM Doubler.

Ahh, those were the days.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    80? *snort*

20MB was *HUGE* I tell you. Certainly no one was going to need more than that anytime soon...
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

80? *snort*

20MB was *HUGE* I tell you. Certainly no one was going to need more than that anytime soon...

Well, I'm not counting the little bitty Sinclair, PET and Commodore 64, the fat mac, or the random white box DOS pieces of crap I used before that. Just the first one I purchased myself.

5 1/4 floppies with my Word Perfect 5.1 papers on them (corrupted! sh*t!) and swapping floppies on the mac. Now *that* was great computing.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Ah, I just meant hard drives. You wanna go back to floppies, remember the 8" monstrosities that held like 32kB?

(Only in geekdom will you see two guys trying to out do each other using floppies.)
  • Reply 68 of 79
    Quote:

Ah, I just meant hard drives. You wanna go back to floppies, remember the 8" monstrosities that held like 32kB?

(Only in geekdom will you see two guys trying to out do each other using floppies.)

Two words: cassette tape.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    Nuh-uh.

Punch cards.

Ahhh, the good old days when retyping in a program in BASIC on the TRS-80 was *faster* than loading it off the tape. Hee.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:

Nuh-uh.

Punch cards.

Ahhh, the good old days when retyping in a program in BASIC on the TRS-80 was *faster* than loading it off the tape. Hee.

Toggle switches! Abacus! FINGERS! "One, two, a heap!"
  • Reply 71 of 79

I *did* take one class in Fortran with punch cards - it's fun to find out firsthand where some 'standards' started. 80char line, 78char string limit, etc. Fun days. Not.

And I know one person who shall remain nameless (but you know his company and their products) that would reprogram the kernel on a Cyber while it was running by using the toggle panel... he had this weird knack of being able to *hear* when an edit-safe process was running.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:

he had this weird knack of being able to *hear* when an edit-safe process was running.

Could he count cards? Was he a good driver? I'm a good driver...
  • Reply 73 of 79
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MasonMcD

Two words: cassette tape.

One word: pencil
  • Reply 74 of 79
    To return for one final moment to the Mail.app thingie. I got a much simpler fix. Enter your ISP's DNS servers in the System Prefs->Network->DNS Servers panel. Bingo! Fixed!

Only problem now - I've moved over to Entourage!
  • Reply 75 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

To return for one final moment to the Mail.app thingie. I got a much simpler fix. Enter your ISP's DNS servers in the System Prefs->Network->DNS Servers panel. Bingo! Fixed!

Only problem now - I've moved over to Entourage!

Tried that, makes no difference.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by WebFlits

Tried that, makes no difference.

Sorry to hear that - but it worked for me!
  • Reply 77 of 79
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mendosi

I'm sure that the world will keep turning even if the Preview version number doesn't update, no matter how silly it seems.

On another note 8GB of RAM is just ridiculuous, it seems to me. That's bigger than the first iPod. (Oh, I know that there are people that use it, but from another angle one that's more than nine and a half hours of CD music in RAM.)

-sticks his hand up-

I love technology.

Mendosi

My iPod HD (60GB) is bigger than my computer HD (40GB)!
  • Reply 78 of 79
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

80? *snort*

I remember saving my money as a kid to buy a 32KB expansion card for my TI-99 4/A.

Oh the days of backing up to cassette tape.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    10.3.7 fixed my connection issues with my BT Apple mouse. I have had problems with it from day one. Disconnecting at weird times and usually when I needed it most. It got to the point I was handling the mouse very carefully believing something inside was not quite connected correctly.

Called Apple, no help, called CompUSA (Apple told me too), no help, updated OS update, and havne't had any more problems.

Eric