Received xbox for xmas...exchange for PS2?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm not a hard core gamer at all, and have always like the "look" of Playstations (especially now with it's smaller form factor).

So what happens? My gf gives me an xbox for Christmas today. While I was excited, I kinda wanted a PS2. She says she has no problem exchanging it if I so wish. But she said everyone told her of the Xbox's better graphics. That it was the more advanced system by far.

So my question is, which console is better for me. I'd play a few FP shoot em up type games (she got me Halo2 as well). But my interest would be car simulation, golf, and some martial arts type games. I really wonder how much I'd actually use the console to be honest.

Are the graphics night and day between the two consoles? Are there that many more titles on PS2?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    I'd go with the Xbox it does have better graphics. Halo 2 is an excellent game. And there a game coming out called Forza Motorsport and it looks great.

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/forza-m.../512434p1.html

PS2 has a lot of games but the quality of the games isn't that great.

my .02 cents
  • Reply 2 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    My brother has both a PS2 and XBox. Unfortunately I like the Xbox better. Especially since he added a huge hard drive and put a bunch of games on that. No load times
  • Reply 3 of 25
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    XBox has better and newer technology, but technology doesn't make a game, and technology doesn't even automatically make good graphics - the quality of animation and other art are much more important in the overall graphic quality. For example, Nintendo has consistently got great visuals in games running on hardware that is worse than the competition.

Nice technical aspects in the XBox are that it's slightly easier/cheaper to mod (not that the additional expense stopped me from modding my PS2), and with some additional expense and tinkering you can get true VGA output to a computer monitor from XBox. Any converter boxes for PS2 are just that, converters, and I don't recommend them, having tried one. If you're into party gaming, XBox supports four controllers out of the box, PS2 after a small add-on piece of plastic. If you're interested in having the console on a home network, as a media center, XBox is the right one.

Now, with XBox upsides out of the way, the problem of XBox is that it has Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Guilty Gear X2#Reload, and that's about all the exclusive games I'd like to try on it.

Then why do I have the PS2? I'm a fighting game fan.

Virtua Fighter (current installment being VF 4 Evolution) has simply the best fighter gameplay, period. I got my console for VF and if I didn't own another game to date, it would still have been worth it. Even regarding the visuals, IMO VF has animation quality that surpasses any fighting game on the technically more advanced XBox. The other huge fighting game series that is also exclusive on PS2 is Tekken. Both XBox and PS2 have Soul Calibur 2, and some installment of Guilty Gear. XBox has nothing on PS2 in the top tier fighting game department.

Also in driving games, Gran Turismo (3 current, 4 coming soon) is an icon that all the others are compared to, and PS2 exclusive. I have no trouble believing Forza Motorsport will be a good game, but it won't match GT4.

Golf games I don't know about on either platform, but I do know PS2 has tons of other good games. Huge game series like Grand Theft Auto and Final Fantasy are so far PS2 exclusive. (GTA:San Andreas reportedly coming "sometime" on PC and XBox)

FPS situation is better on the XBox but frankly I wouldn't bother with FPS's on consoles at all, it's like climbing a tree upside down. $600 Windows PC or a mid range Powermac is what you want for FPS.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    So.. in conclusion, for you the one console choice should be PS2. But should you want to play Xbox or Gamecube exclusives at some point, or want a media center console, all the consoles are cheap in the end, it's not a big deal to get more than one.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    my lil bro has both... and so far i have seen, i'd take the Xbox over the PS2.

For one, xbox can be modded really nicely, as my bro did.

Second, games run better as well, as i have seen the ps2 having difficulties with MOHAA (was playing that game self when on duty in Dubai).

Also seen Mediaplayer on it from M$ and it is a nice utility . I don't know if you need something extra to use the dvd player, as it used to be with the ps2 (remote)

Good luck, either way though, they're both nice machines in the end
  • Reply 6 of 25
    keep the xbox for Xbox Live to play Halo 2 and other Live enabled games
  • Reply 7 of 25
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Keep the xbox?

• Reply 8 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Riddick for the Xbox is supposedly a very fun single player experience.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    I'm no major expert on games consoles but from what I can gather the PlayStation 2 does seem to have a lot more titles available for it than the Xbox. You can also play older PlayStation (PSOne) games on it which can be found for sale very cheaply nearly anywhere (garage sales etc).

PS2 is also very hackable.

Its down to what you prefer... I'm sure somebody you know has a PS2 so try it out and compare.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    so!? What's the verdict Satchmo? XBOX or PS2?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

so!? What's the verdict Satchmo? XBOX or PS2?

While I'm sure the xbox is a great system as well, I ended up exchanging the xbox and going PS2. I couldn't look past:

1) super small form factor of new PS2

2) greater library

3) most friends I know have PS2 so I can borrow games

4) backward compatibility with PS3 (MS hasn't publicly confirmed their stand on this)

Played with PS2 last night for the first time (I did say I wasn't a hardcore gamer) and the load times were pretty good. Mind you, I don't have reference to compare to. Played Grand Turismo 3, and Virtua Fighter Evolution....awesome. Those Sega games are indeed a ton of fun. I wish Outrun2 would be available for PS2.

• Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Played with PS2 last night for the first time (I did say I wasn't a hardcore gamer) and the load times were pretty good. Mind you, I don't have reference to compare to. Played Grand Turismo 3, and Virtua Fighter Evolution....awesome.

Welcome to the club dude!

I don't usually care what products others have, and what games they play, but the world is a better place for every VF player in it.

edit: Once you're feeling comfortable in training mode, and get a dan ranking in quest, it's good to visit virtuafighter.com for full movelists and strategy. I'm not top class myself - barely around 7dan with Vanessa - but I'm always ready to PM about VF..
  • Reply 13 of 25
    either choice isn't bad! And i agree, the new design of the ps2 is slick! Have fun
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Personaly I like the PS2.. but that is partialy based on having spent alot of money on my setup, seeing I have mine modded with a magic 3.6 chip, a 120gig maxtor drive, (yes, you can use more than 40gig, just gotta search google for a program to format it as a PS2 drive), modem, multitap, all wireless controlers, and i'm in the process of loading up linux on it; just gotta get the ps2 to vga cable so I can install it, after that I can use it on the tv as a media center. [still havent figured out why you exactly need a vga cable to install, but after can use the regular rca cable... using the rca for install just brings up a blue screen]

Was debating on getting an Xbox at one point, but then I figured... what can that thing do that my ps2 cant? Well it can't play Halo 2, which I do like... but then again the Xbox cant play the Final Fantasy Series. So I desided to just stay with the PS2.

Oh and as for the new PS2 design, personaly I think it sucks... Theres no slot load cd (personaly I always hated "poping" the cd in, felt like id break the disk), you can't install a harddrive as theres no space for one, and I don't belive you can install a modem on it.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrebsd

Personaly I like the PS2.. but that is partialy based on having spent alot of money on my setup, seeing I have mine modded with a magic 3.6 chip, a 120gig maxtor drive, (yes, you can use more than 40gig, just gotta search google for a program to format it as a PS2 drive), modem, multitap, all wireless controlers, and i'm in the process of loading up linux on it; just gotta get the ps2 to vga cable so I can install it, after that I can use it on the tv as a media center. [still havent figured out why you exactly need a vga cable to install, but after can use the regular rca cable... using the rca for install just brings up a blue screen]

Maybe you could just have kept the PS2 for gaming, bought an XBox in addition to it, and done the permanent Linux mod to XBox (cost: nothing) for media center use?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Minus all the tech talk, I would go with both!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I guess all I have to say is:

March 15th

Gran Turismo 4

PS2 only

If you like the games that exist for the PS2, I would recommend it. It also has a much, much, much better controller, and that makes a big difference.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    engadget is saying xbox2 is confirmed for release in May 2005 at E3. if that affects your decision...
  • Reply 19 of 25
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I have a playstation, and I love it (Soul Calibur II, and all the baldurs gate/champions of norrath games).

Lately, though, the Xbox is getting all the good titles - Halo, Fable, Ninja gaden, dead or alive ultimate, star wars, etc.

I will look into Virtua fighter...
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I have a playstation, and I love it (Soul Calibur II, and all the baldurs gate/champions of norrath games).

Lately, though, the Xbox is getting all the good titles - Halo, Fable, Ninja gaden, dead or alive ultimate, star wars, etc.

I will look into Virtua fighter...

Do you have GTA: San Andreas yet? That's the only game besides VF4 Evolution that has gotten constant play on my PS2.

I though Fable sucked, and so did the last DoA before Ultimate. I never went deep into it because Soul Calibur and VF were available. I'm advised, however, that DoA has a lot of random quality after a certain point in skill. Not so fast as WWF wrestling games though