Giants tsunamis in indonesia : terrible disaster : merged

newnew
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4125481.stm

We're talking more than 2500 dead and rising. Many of then tourists.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Death toll is now etimated to over 3000.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3927601

This is terrible...
  • Reply 2 of 105
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Looks like the year just had to end this way

I have a colleague down close to Phuket with his wife and newborn visiting family. Hope he is all right.

News says this place just doesn't exist anymore.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member

The day will end with at least 10000...
  • Reply 4 of 105
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member

• Reply 5 of 105
    The death toll is at 8600 and rising... I went to some of these places, a few years ago. Krabi, Raily beach and Panang. Crazy...
  • Reply 6 of 105
    Wow. That is hard to imagine.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    9.500 already now...
  • Reply 8 of 105
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    I've just found out that my cousin was in Thailand on a boat tour when the tsunami struck.. luckily they were within wading distance of the shore and somehow he survived. He's lost everything though including his passport, mobile and money. It was only due to the kindness of some other tourists that lent him their phone and some money that we know he's survived. I know he spoke of others being killed so it's pretty amazing that he's alive. Still worried as to how he'll get out of there.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    11500 and rising.

A very sad occurrence.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    The death toll is now above 22.000...
  • Reply 11 of 105
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    A seism of 8,9 in the Richter's open scale created giants tsunamis in Sri lanka, indonesia, thailand and others islands.

More than 23 000 people died in this disaster.

link
  • Reply 12 of 105
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Yes. A terrible tragedy. Only thing to do is to pick up the pieces, continue on, and to implement safety measures. Can't imagine what I would do in the same situation.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I'm pretty sure my Tsunami thread in PO is WAY different than this one, actually.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I'm pretty sure my Tsunami thread in PO is WAY different than this one, actually.

I am almost sure.

But don't you think that there is enough threads dealing with Bush ?

Don't you think that such rants have better place to be written than in a disaster related thread with 30 000 deaths ?

End of the digression.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Rant? Not quite.

Not that I care that the thread got locked. It was a gag thread anyway... something to try to lighten the mood in that musty old place.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    The most shocking loss of life in years. Tragic. Those poor people
  • Reply 17 of 105
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    An appalling loss of life on a scale rarely seen in history. True tragedy
  • Reply 18 of 105
    My roomate from college is teaching english in costal town in Thailand near Patong, so clearly when I heard about this I freaked out and called every number I could find to track him down. He has only been there since Dec 12th and I was only had his email address to try and reach him but fortunatly received this from him this morning...

Stevo,

I am alive! Talk about a close call. I was about ten minutes from the beach and on my way there when the wave hit. Many not so lucky. About half of the town (Patong Beach) where I am staying was wiped out. They have confirmed 70 deaths so far, others still missing. I am not quite sure if my school is still there. It is only a block from the beach, with a clear view all the way to the water. They evacuated everyone to Phuket town, the main town on the Island. The place I ended up staying in, the on on guesthouse, you guessed it from the movie "The Beach". The one where Daffy wacks himself. Kind of funny. Nate flew out with me he left a couple of days ago. We were on Ko Phi Phi Island, also from the movie "The Beach", just a couple of days ago I hear that it was completely wiped out. I am glad we were not out there. Anyway, got to run, losing Bhat by the minute. Thanks for writing, I will be in touch. If school is till a go, I will have internet at my place. Much easier to stay connected. Hope your holidays are great, say hi to your family for me, send holly my love. Hopefully I don't get struck by an asteroid or something crazy like that before then.

Take care,

Mike

...I havent gotten any details about if he saw the wave or was in any immediate danger durring the disaster but I'll keep everyone informed. Please keep these people in your thoughts. This is an absolutely amazing and horrible natural phenomonon.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Natural (or man-made) disasters are dealt with in importance and significance according to what group of people is hit, and how. The Iranian earthquake than devastated Bam and other cities recently killed nearly 50,000 people, but was a low-priority, relative non-event in terms of US media reportage. Same with what happened in Haiti after Hurricane Jean, or in Honduras after Hurricane Mitch... and countless others. The ghastly slaughter in Rwanda some years back, or the hundreds of thousands massacred in East Timor over decades under Suharto weren't even mentioned until afterwards. Who decides which disasters and events "newsworthy", and is there any consistency? My point being, whether we like it or not, we do unfortunately regard human life in duplicitous fashion; life is sacred, but some lives are more sacred than others. I am sure that the ability to consume' is one of the parameters....

Sad
  • Reply 20 of 105
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    So basically the people who make Nikes are not that important but the people who wear them are? Sounds about right now a days.