Giants tsunamis in indonesia : terrible disaster : merged

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    My buddy wrote me this morning and said that the school he was teaching at is destroyed and he is unable to reach anyone who worked there. He said that there are an enormous amount of people (too many actually) working to clean up the area and limited resources. He mentioned that there is a growing fear of the spread of disease as a result of the number of corpses around, many of which have not been found. He said this has forced him to pack his things and move north possibly to Cambodia until things get back to something resembling normal. Does anyone have any links showing video of the wave/waves coming in? is there anything like this out there?
  • Reply 42 of 105
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If this quake happened later closer to New Year's, later in the day, imagine what the death toll would be... Thailand's resort destinations are favorites among HK residents for cheap New Year getaways.
  • Reply 43 of 105
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Interesting that the US, on the defensive about aid spending, gave the official statement, "We've given more aid over the last four years than any other..." yadda yadda yadda. Four years? Why mention four years? Did the US not give more aid during the Clinton Administration as well? Of course they did.

So why use the phrase "four years"?

Because even in such a dire, devastating situation, the Bush Administration chooses to play partisan politics!!!

They are so afraid of sharing credit with "the other guys" that they have to put in little phrases to differentiate themselves. Disgusting!

You should be angry at the UN for making such a stupid and blatant anti-american statement. BTW who are you quoting?
  • Reply 44 of 105
    Quote:

Quoting Colin.

Colin Powel? Um? How long has Powel been in that job? Maybe that would be like about four years. Hummmm?

Quote:

Compassionate conservatives my ass.

Plus all the food the US donates plus all the ... and then add in all the private aid agencies that also dominate in the US. I can't even guess at how much Bill Gates and Ted Turner hand over compared to most countries in Europe.

Quote:

And you shouldn't be confusing (yet again) anti-Bush with Anti-American.

So lets see? The UN is being "anti-Bush" and not "anti-American" in this case? How do you figure that?
  • Reply 45 of 105
    Quote:

Funny how Australia, a country with 25 times lower GNP than the US, has committed as much to disaster aid for the tsunamis as the US has. I'd say the UN has a point.

Is Australia rushing in supplies from its current stockpile on it's military transports as we type? How does that compare to the US effort? Is that accounted in the GDP ratio? I'm guessing no on all fronts.

Some dirt can't even fall in the ocean without the anti-american hate squad rushing in to find dubious fault.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Is Australia rushing in supplies from its current stockpile on it's military transports as we type? How does that compare to the US effort? Is that accounted in the GDP ratio? I'm guessing no on all fronts.

Some dirt can't even fall in the ocean without the anti-american hate squad rushing in to find dubious fault.

What 'dirt' would that be? Until you clarify that, I'm going to assume that you're so freakin' racist it's pathetic.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Colin Powel? Um? How long has Powel been in that job? Maybe that would be like about four years. Hummmm?

Plus all the food the US donates plus all the ... and then add in all the private aid agencies that also dominate in the US. I can't even guess at how much Bill Gates and Ted Turner hand over compared to most countries in Europe.

So lets see? The UN is being "anti-Bush" and not "anti-American" in this case? How do you figure that?

A disaster of epic proportions and... they're kicking the United States? Talk about *partisan* seizing/spinning of an event...

No discussions on what could have been done to prevent this? No discourse on how Diego Garcia (evidently) escaped harm?

This catastrophe is seized upon to portray the United States as 'cheap'?

Why don't Those European Countries kick some of their Iraqi-Oil-For-Food-Money into the pot? That way, that money Spent For The Good Of All Mankind can finally do some humanitarian good (less interest).

It must be said: it is the height of bad manners for the subject of charity to complain about the amount of said charity.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 48 of 105
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

What 'dirt' would that be? Until you clarify that, I'm going to assume that you're so freakin' racist it's pathetic.

Obviously he's referring to the earthquake that launched the topic of this thread, genius.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Obviously he's referring to the earthquake that launched the topic of this thread, genius.

Judging from his posting record here, if it doesn't involve the USA or Israel he continually proves himself to be an absolute xenophobe. I want clarification as to what *exactly* he is referring as 'dirt'.

He'd be shitting all over the place if anyone said that the yearly hurricane season, in the south-eastern coastal states, was just washing a bit of dirt into the ocean.

Oh, also, I don't recall asking for *you* to attempt a feat of mind-reading by posting a response in his absence.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Look at what you posted. Now read your sig. Revel in the hypocrisy.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Look at what you posted. Now read your sig. Revel in the hypocrisy.

Why don't you just let Scott answer the question posed to him, instead of being the dumb pile of meat at a bar who wanders over to anything that looks like a fight just to get a punch in?

I'm calling Scott on his words. Judging from his past responses in various threads, I *am* making an assumption (which I made clear in my first post). I'd be happy to see a response from him that goes against my preconception. I'm just sick of him jumping into a thread, posting a response of questionable intent, and then disappearing.

If you are looking for a fight, head down to Fluid or System Soundbar (Richmond & Peter St) for New Years Eve. Those fights might end up with pistols drawn, so be careful. I live just around the corner so you can wander over here for some band-aids, if you'd like.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    Does anyone know if the Red Cross has set up some form of system for survivors to register?

Our company has two Thai employees who were in Phuket when this happened. All attempts to contact them via mobile/hotel/etc. are falling short, and I only have contact info for one of their parents (who have not heard from her yet).

If all fails, I think I'll be flying out there in a couple of days.

<edit> The International Red Cross Society website has a register, but it's very slim at the moment: www.icrc.org </edit>
  • Reply 53 of 105
    You know I wouldn't mind you having this discussion so much if it wasn't for the blatant one upmanship it has degenerated into. You may as well be comparing the size of each others dicks. If you can' t have a bit of respect for each other, at least have some for the dead. And for other people here who know people affected by this disaster.

Go chew on this and get a grip.

Quote:

The death toll from the earthquake and tsunami in Asia has been put at 68,000, including as many as 40,000 in Indonesia alone.

Indonesian Vice-President Jusuf Kalla says an estimated 5 per cent of the 300,000 population of the Aceh's provincial capital, Banda Aceh, had died.

"Today our estimation is around 30,000-40,000 dead. Aceh's population is about 4.5 million with 300,000 in Banda Aceh," Mr Kalla told diplomats at a meeting.

"Maybe 5 per cent of Banda Aceh's population is dead, or maybe more," he said.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono spoke of "frightening reports" from outlying parts of Aceh province, on the northern tip of Sumatra island, which was closest to the quake's epicentre.

The stench of decomposing corpses spread over Banda Aceh, and fresh water, food and fuel were running short. Many in the city feared fresh quakes and tsunamis, and roads were filled with people trying to leave.

"We haven't eaten for two days. We have to get out of here," said Irawan, 35, whose optician's practice was destroyed.

Bodies lay scattered on the streets. Soldiers and volunteers were collecting corpses for mass burial to prevent disease.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...m?fp_news_stor

Quote:

"The whole town is full of her family, and we've heard this morning that the entire village has been swept into the ocean and there's nothing but dead bodies. They can't find anybody and she's just ... I don't know what to bloody do."

- Steven Day whose Indonesian-born wife Ena Jenkins fears she has lost her entire family of almost 40 people to the waves which swamped villages in Aceh province on Sumatra.

Quote:

# I'm standing on the Galle road in Aluthgama and looking at 5 ton trawlers tossed onto the road. Scary shit.

# Found 5 of my friends, 2 dead. Of the 5, 4 are back in Colombo. The last one is stranded because of a broken bridge. Broken his leg. But he's alive. Made...

# ..contact. He got swept away but swam ashore. Said he's been burying people all day. Just dragging them off the beach and digging holes with his hands. Go..

#..ing with gear to get him tommorrow morning. He sounded disturbed. Guess grave digging does that to you.

-Tsunami eyewitness Sanjay, blogger/TV producer, Sri Lanka

Quote:

Originally posted by Shawn

No word yet from my girlfriend's 104 year old grandmother in Thailand.

I bet she's one grand old lady. Communications are very dodgy so don't assume the worse. Hoping all will be well. Look after your girl.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Any time anyone even thinks about politicizing this, STFU and go send $50 to a charity instead.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    Have you guys seen the Apple website?

It says on the front page:

"Our heart reach out to those hurt by the Indian Ocean tsunamis".

http://www.apple.com/

I thought it was rather humane on their part.

As for the tragedy itself, sometimes, I just don't understand the point of living if we are gonna be witnesses of such horrid end of life. Its something I can't find an answer for. My heart reaches to them too.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    That's nice. I was wondering if they were planning on doing that, as they did for 9/11.
  • Reply 57 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Have you guys seen the Apple website?

It says on the front page:

"Our heart reach out to those hurt by the Indian Ocean tsunamis".

http://www.apple.com/

I thought it was rather humane on their part.

As for the tragedy itself, sometimes, I just don't understand the point of living if we are gonna be witnesses of such horrid end of life. Its something I can't find an answer for. My heart reaches to them too.

That's a nice thing to do.
  • Reply 58 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

it is political......

I wasn't talking about whether or not there were political issues related to the story, I was saying don't withhold or quibble over sending aid and money. Now's not the time for a pissing contest, or I told you so's or using this as convenient fodder for making your political opponents look bad.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Apple's home page is full of links to donation pages. Does anyone know of a way I can donate to any of these organisations using PayPal or any other services which don't require a credit or debit card.

Andrew
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Boy oh boy you are stupid. It was an EARTHQUAKE. EARTH is made of DIRT.