PC Owner looking to consider Mac...Help needed.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    kabzkabz Posts: 53member
    no...the link I gave showed the 7.1 setup really cheap.

Also.....I like the monitors at www.formac.com a lot. Anyone have experience with them?
  • Reply 42 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

JimDreamworx, your 3D guys needed over 4GB RAM?

How much do they have now?

About 6GB, plus or minus the spare 128 pieces I use to populate the extra slots.

They use the extra RAM because they also run Illustrator, Extensis Suitcase (with over 2,000 fonts!), PhotoShop (which sings when there is at least 4GB RAM in the box), along with other apps.

I got one user who loves running Activity Monitor to prove he needs more!
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Dont forget to do effective videowork (regarless whether is a PC or a Mac) you will need a second hard drive to read the video files from.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kabz

Also.....I like the monitors at www.formac.com a lot. Anyone have experience with them?

No experience but those are some god dang hot monitors. Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Quote:

Is there a graphics card norm for G5 owners though?

What should my minimum be? I don't think its necessary getting the TOP TOP of the line? Or is it?

Sorry for maybe coming off like a helpless guy, but I really don't want to not know anything when getting my Apple.

Thanks for the helpful links too.

If you go to the Apple Store education pages, you'll see the configurator

Once you select your choice.

This allows you to add/delete the options you'd like.

Cards, displays, meeces, extra HD's etc.

Unless you REALLY needs two displays eventually,

I would go for the single pci slot 128 MB card

rather than taking up 2 spaces with the heavier duty 256MB units.

If you can hold off a bit longer, we may be seeing a sweet ATI X800 series single slot 256MB card soon.

OWC http://www.macsales.com also has a great selection of RAM

and other wonderous Macgoodies.

Most of the 3rd party Mac houses offer extended support regarding anything you buy there.

The 2.0 dual Tower hits a sweet spot right in the middle and should give you a serious case of the grins for quite a long time.

If your current display will hold you for a while, save up and get the display you really want later. The prices WILL be dropping!

• Reply 46 of 65
    BOUGHT

here are the basics

Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHz

256MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x128

AirPort Extreme Card

Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

Accessory kit

Mac OS X - U.S. English

8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM

Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

56k V.92 internal modem

and the Apple Protection Pack
  • Reply 47 of 65
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Congrats!

You'll be happy with the purchase.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

I would say one thing though. Upgrade the ram to at least 512MB or more since 256MB is practically useless if your want a well performing machine.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Oh.... not to worry.

I'm trying to find the best matched 2 GIG deal (2x1Gb)

No way would I settle at 256 only! Hah...8)
  • Reply 50 of 65
    Quote:

BOUGHT

here are the basics

Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHz

AirPort Extreme Card

Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

Accessory kit

Mac OS X - U.S. English

8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM

Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

56k V.92 internal modem

and the Apple Protection Pack

Just Curious... What did you decide to go with as far as your monitor was concerned. Don't be fooled into thinking that you have to buy an Apple Monitor. Those Formacs you linked to are VERY nice and I also recommend Samsung!

As far as Speakers I need to tell you that if you want 5.1 Surround Sound, be sure that the speaker you buy has it's own decoder such as the Klipsch 5.1 setup. Most come with their own now adays but just be sure. Any 2.1 setup will work fine. I think I speak for everyone here when I say WELCOME to the Macintosh Community... You will be very happy with your purchase.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Its all these little things that I need to know to be fully up to the switch. Is there a PC to Mac user guide out there? Haha...there should be.

Anyways, I thank you for reading and appreciate any posts helping me out.

i am right now considering how i might set up an IT consulting type outfit that partners with an apple dealership specifically targeting consumer and business switchers... ThinkSwitch ... maybe
  • Reply 52 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Advice

**snip snip**

The Windows environment is more than just a set of applications. So too is the Mac environment. As I said before, they require different skillsets. They also require different sets of expectations. To me, the Mac mindset is best encapsulated by an Apple tagline from a few years ago: "The Power to be Your Best." One of my observations of the difference of the two sets of users is that Windows users tend to expect an application to do a job for them. Mac users tend to expect an application to allow them to do their job. Also, Windows users expect to devote a lot of their energy to administering their systems. Mac users expect their systems to "just work."

You have a transition to make. However, you will have a large return for a relatively small investment. Good luck with your new Mac.

*that's beautifully said mr. me* *sniff* *sniff*

8)

basically, when you get a mac, be prepared for a whole better life than your PC days...

you forgot to mention that once he gets a mac he needs to be *prepared* to get laid more often
  • Reply 53 of 65
    Quote:

Sweet...

I got the RAM issues covered, I got the monitor issues covered somewhat.

Now.....about the Graphics Card....I don't know how important the cards are on the G5 and what is good and what isn't...and what can actually make a difference in my imaging....

Basically I want something to allow me to use Photoshop/Final Cut with true colors and rich colors. Any suggestions on that part?

Kabz, you sound like you want to do your best work in Photoshop and Final Cut. you sound ready and dedicated to your design/filmmaking, especially since it sounds like you enjoyed your internship.

I would disagree with some of the posters here. Sure you can get a Dell/benq or other monitors, no harm checking it out. i would wager though that your overall experience and attention to color etc would be well rewarded by getting an Apple display or maybe consider Formac -- these have had better pixel durability and are reminiscent of the plastic Apple lcd displays. Apple and Formac displays are already built and more geared towards color accuracy in the design world...

plus these monitors blend well with your PowerMac G5 to give you the state of mind to create and share your vision with the world

do consider the apple lcd monitors have a more wide-aspect ratio which may work well with you multiple palettes/ 16:9 video/ high-def/ etc down the road
  • Reply 54 of 65
    Where to buy: As I think you have realized from the replies above, there are two options that you should be choosing from: 1) catalog authorized reseller, 2) campus store.

The benefits of the catalog reseller: no tax, "free" RAM

However, the catalog reseller will make you pay for the RAM and an additional fee for installation, then you get a rebate for the cost, but not the installation. Basically, you are getting cheap RAM at about a 40% discount in the end. I had to send back two bad sticks before I got one that worked. (Dumb luck, yes, but telling.)

Campus Reseller: Apple EDU discount.

If you are going this route, you should wait until the back-to-school specials are announced. You might get a free ipod, or free extended warranty, or just an additional discount. But whatever it is, it will be better than the normal discount.

Note, you may be able to get them to send it to you at home before you leave for school and thus avoid the state tax (although you may end up paying that tax anyway if you live in a state that has a cross-boarder shopping reclamation tax for large purchases).

As for monitors, the Apple plastic ones are nice, but you need a $100 adaptor to use it on a new Mac. I just bought a Samsung 19" monitor for work that is very nice. I highly recommend that you take a look at them.

<<<Oops. Didn't click over to 2nd page. Oh well, maybe another student will find this reply helpful.>>>
  • Reply 55 of 65
    another thing great about Mac is the speed of software installations. i just installed the driver for a new epson printer and hooked it up to our PC. after a 5 minute wait for XP to recognize there was an install CD in the D drive. it never did install. finally removed it and downloaded it from the Epson site. and that took about 5 minutes also to install. unfortunately it did not install the Smart Panel application (an interface for doing various printing/scanning tasks). to install this i decided to use the CD again and this time XP recognized it. so i began the installation and, well, it was like 8 minutes just for it to install...

Mac installs are way, way speedier and no wizards! get a Mac fast dude! it'll be a cool change.

ghi

Quote:

First off.

I have used Macs very very rarely in my life.

I have always been a PC guy.

My friends all know me as the PC guru. I know where to find this and that, I know how to solve problems, etc.

Now I find myself fed up with PC's. I got a laptop 6 months ago. Fully equipped, best options available.

Now this thing is dying on me. The harddrives are going, and I just don't want to go back to another PC and start anew because its just too much of a hassle.

I am a huge photoshop user, I consider myself an amateur photographer, and I am going to go to film school.

Now being a beginner to Macs....I don't know where to begin really.

What is the best browser? Safari? What is the most used mp3 player/most reliable? (I hate iTunes on PC) What kind of anti-virus programs are needed?

What is the most prevelant P2P software for music, etc.? (besides bit torrent)

I worked on a mac the whole summer as I interned at a production company at their digital imaging sector.

Where is the best place to buy from? The local apple store? Mac Mall? Apple Store online?

I am most probably looking to get a PowerMac G5. Probably a dual 2.0ghz. The 2.5 is too much because I need a display!

Are there any places that sell display/PowerMac combos?

Its all these little things that I need to know to be fully up to the switch. Is there a PC to Mac user guide out there? Haha...there should be.

Anyways, I thank you for reading and appreciate any posts helping me out.

Thanks

• Reply 56 of 65
    Congrats on your purchase! I'm hoping to buy my new G5PB in May.

I just wanted to add that I check www.macprices.com all the time. It helps when comparing all the extras.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghiangelo

another thing great about Mac is the speed of software installations. i just installed the driver for a new epson printer and hooked it up to our PC. after a 5 minute wait for XP to recognize there was an install CD in the D drive. it never did install. finally removed it and downloaded it from the Epson site. and that took about 5 minutes also to install. unfortunately it did not install the Smart Panel application (an interface for doing various printing/scanning tasks). to install this i decided to use the CD again and this time XP recognized it. so i began the installation and, well, it was like 8 minutes just for it to install...

Mac installs are way, way speedier and no wizards! get a Mac fast dude! it'll be a cool change.

What's even better is uninstalling. Grab the app, drag to Trash, done. That's it.*

*caveat: Some apps require installers. If you installed an app using an installer, you're best off uninstalling it the same way. If, however, you just dragged the app to your disk to install, then just drag it to the Trash to delete it. Basically, uninstall the same way you install.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    wow...haven't checked this thread in a while.

My Mac should be arriving today or tomorrow.

As for my monitor - I got a Sony 19'' Xbrite

Speakers - Creative Labs 7.1
  • Reply 59 of 65
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

I would disagree with some of the posters here. Sure you can get a Dell/benq or other monitors, no harm checking it out. i would wager though that your overall experience and attention to color etc would be well rewarded by getting an Apple display or maybe consider Formac -- these have had better pixel durability and are reminiscent of the plastic Apple lcd displays. Apple and Formac displays are already built and more geared towards color accuracy in the design world...

do consider the apple lcd monitors have a more wide-aspect ratio which may work well with you multiple palettes/ 16:9 video/ high-def/ etc down the road

Okay. How, exactly, will an Apple display show images that are different from a Benq, etc. display that has the same panel? There's no processing done to the signal when the screens are working on DVI.

The widescreen comment is nonsensical. Apple doesn't hold a monopoly on widescreen panels.
    Quote:

plus these monitors blend well with your PowerMac G5 to give you the state of mind to create and share your vision with the world

I can imagine lots of ways to spend the price difference which could get that vision thing going.

Sorry, I can't help pricking at this yoga flight stuff once in a while.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Quote:

wow...haven't checked this thread in a while.

My Mac should be arriving today or tomorrow.

As for my monitor - I got a Sony 19'' Xbrite

Speakers - Creative Labs 7.1

dude, just wanna say enjoy your new Mac setup. you won't regret it, and regardless of what everyone has said here, i'm sure you'll learn lots and have tons of fun

yeah !!!!! rock on... dual G5... damn....