Apple set to debut flash-based iPod, new PowerBook models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    drsusedrsuse Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Unless they have been waiting on the 7448 chip. If it ships with a 7447b I'll be pissed.

the 7448 is only sampling in january! it's not supposed to be in production until june or so. i don't think apple would get chips 6 months ahead of schedule. if this rumour is true, it will 99% be a 7447b.

btw, i'm definitely hoping for the pioneer dvd burner too - if apple can't give us a powerbook g5 i hope they can still make it a good deal for the money.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drsuse

The 7448 is only sampling in january! it's not supposed to be in production until june or so. i don't think apple would get chips 6 months ahead of schedule. if this rumour is true, it will 99% be a 7447b.

Well that stinks. I blame you.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah it is strange that they've waited so long just for this minor bump. I was almost beginning to think they had a G5 ready, given the time between updates. Maybe they're trying to time this update with when they think the G5 PowerBook will be ready, and maybe they know that won't be ready for 9 months or so. So they try to prolong this update a bit in order to not have a really really long wait until the G5 update.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    I hope 100GB 5400 HDDs will be an option too. Both Seagate and Hitachi are making them, so we should cross our fingers also here
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by legaleagle

Huh? Que? Wha? Oh, and WTF?

well im not an expert or anything but here are the very basics about how it sort of works...

the processor speed is a multiple of the system bus speed.

for many G4 systems (and the powerbooks) that is 166.66667mhz.

simply quoted and stated as 167mhz.

the approximations to show what has been going on recently and what the future might hold for any systems based on similar architecture...

167 x 8 = 1333mhz (1.33Ghz)

167 x 8.5 = 1420mhz (1.42Ghz)

167 x 9 = 1500mhz (1.5Ghz)

167 x 9.5 = 1583mhz (1.58Ghz)

167 x 10 = 1667mhz (1.67Ghz)

167 x 10.5 = 1750mhz (1.75Ghz)

if i read it correctly, the article suggests that a 1667mhz system would be sold as 1.7

that would be like if apple had sold the 867mhz PowerMac as 900mhz

it would be a lie... and not really necessary.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Freescale lists the 7447B as 1500 MHz and 1667 MHz parts among other slower offerings. Such a small increase in clockspeed though. Let's hope they give us the Pioneer 8x Superdrive as well as a 100GB hard drive as an option. I have a feeling they will announce these a couple weeks after Macworld though.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spytap

The other questions I have are whether the new PBooks will have a faster Superdrive (Pioneer has an 8x available from what I understand) a

since all the desktop machines now have 8x superdrives, i think it would be insane not to include them in any powerbook update. it is supposed to be the top of the line in mobile processing, so it realistically cant have a crappier burner than the emac!

in the past apple has always just said "superdrive" and given the speeds in the fine print, but in the powermac lineup on the website they specificallty state "8x superdrive"

looks like a good selling point... esp while waiting for the g5
  • Reply 28 of 60
    ibeardibeard Posts: 11member
    my MWSF 12" pBook (if we can't have a G5):

- 1.7ghz g4

- widescreen (or at least a better resolution like 1280 or 1440)

- 80gb hdd (100gb option)

- ati mobility 9700 (ati mobility 9800 option)

- 8x superdrive standard (w/ dual-layer burning)

- 5+ hour battery life

- maybe a slightly new design (fix the warping)

- $200 price drop

• Reply 29 of 60
    drsusedrsuse Posts: 49member
    well, i gave it a lot of thought, and i think i'm going to wait until june (unless appleinsider's sources are incorrect).

another six months with a 600mhz g3

i just figure that it's worth waiting and taking a chance on new technology because i know it'll have to last me for 4+ years of university. perhaps in 4 years, things will be migrating to 64-bit. you never know.

if a new generation of powerbooks is released at wwdc, there will likely be massive delays, so if my powerbook doesn't arrive soon enough, i imagine that i can cancel my order and just look around for one of the last generation ones.

i would think that it wouldn't be too difficult to find one at that point - everyone would be selling theirs to get a new g5.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

since all the desktop machines now have 8x superdrives, ...

Nope. The Matshita UJ-825 in the iMac G5 only burns 4x DVD-R.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

oh well that sucks!! tho 4x media is half the price (at least where i live it is)

i guess its a slot-loading issue (my sister's emac is 8x dvd-r but tray loading)

well, i still think the powerbook would benefit from a faster drive, since it doesnt have a lot else new going for it (even though its still the best laptop available)
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

No sense putting anything faster in there anyway since vertically mouting it limits the speed. Stupid design. Form over function. They did everything they said they would never do when they designed the iMac G5. I really wouldn't be surprised if the next eMac (if there is one) is downgraded to a 4x drive just to keep it in line with the iMac.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Its great to see the PowerBook line updated but there is still such a huge performance gap between the PowerBooks and the PowerMacs. When are we going to see some G5 PowerBooks???

My G4 PB 1.5Ghz can't hold a candle to my friend's iMac G5 1.6Ghz, even though I have twice as much RAM!!!

G5 kicks ass, no doubt about it ... iMac G5 is really the best value ever offered by Apple for the amount of computing performance you get
  • Reply 34 of 60
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

if i read it correctly, the article suggests that a 1667mhz system would be sold as 1.7

that would be like if apple had sold the 867mhz PowerMac as 900mhz

it would be a lie... and not really necessary.

Actually, the way I read the article, Apple is receiving 1.667Ghz chips from Motorola and overclocking them to 1.7Ghz and putting them in 1.7Ghz Powerbooks. Which sounds fine with me.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

i dont think they will sell the 1666.6666 mhz g4 as a 1.7

with a 9.5 multiplier we could get a 1583.3333 mhz g4

it will probably end up being the current 1.5s and new 1.66s

but they did 1.42 (8.5 multiplier)

so 1.58 could happen i quess

Why the hell would they revise with the same proc or a 166 mhz speed bump. All for a new graphics processor? Doubt it. There are already 1.7 upgrade chips that are low temp.

I can barely imagine people upgrading for a small 200mhz speed bump. That's pretty petty, even for a laptop. If they do release 1.7ghz models, I'll most certainly be buying the 1.5 model and be just as happy.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    As far as the calculated clock speeds go, you can go actually use non-half multipliers... for example:

167 (fsb) * 10.25 = 1711.75

Apple has had processors overclocked but rated them under that before. I believe it was last generation 12" iBook was rated at 1ghz but if you went to apple profiler or used ioreg -l you would see that the processor was actually 1.050ghz (extra 50mhz :P)

----------

One thing I'd definitely be disappointed with is if they DIDN'T lower prices. I mean a small speed bump like that after a year!! At least lower the prices since we're buying the same models .
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:

My guess is at WWDC where I imagine 64-bit will be the running theme. We should see both the PowerBook G5 and 3 GHz DP PowerMac G5 announced there, both shipping with 10.4 preinstalled of course.

I'd bet my wallet that they (the g5 PBs) aren't released at WWDC if the new revs are released at MacWorld. 5.5 months isn't enough time for a rev. Granted if they were hypathetically released at WWDC there would be a 2-3 month wait time. So it may even out. But I believe apple is trying to get away from doing that. Instead announcing with about a week's shipping time is a lot more conforting and get a lot less cancelled orders (which causes chaos).

So if a new g4 rev is announced, don't hold your breath for the g5.
  • Reply 38 of 60

My iBook is 1.07 GHz so an extra 70 MHz. I wouldn't mind a 15" with a 1.5 GHz processor along with the new graphics, larger hard drive and faster Superdrive. The reports only mention one configuration for the 15" however. I hope they don't stop offering two 15" configurations. That would be bad.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:

My iBook is 1.07 GHz so an extra 70 MHz. I wouldn't mind a 15" with a 1.5 GHz processor along with the new graphics, larger hard drive and faster Superdrive. The reports only mention one configuration for the 15" however. I hope they don't stop offering two 15" configurations. That would be bad.

Thank you for setting me straight on the speed of the iBook, I couldn't remember the exact # so I took a shot in the dark .

I wouldn't mind a new powerbook with a 1.5ghz proc as long as they are cheaper than what they are now .

And yah I really like the 2 different configs, so a 1.5 and a 1.7 would be cool. As long as you can upgrade the video memory in both of them this time.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    I'm hoping to buy a Powerbook with this update to replace my iBook.

What am I looking for? I love the 12 inchers, so I'm hoping to see the 12 inch bumped to 1.5 GHZ, with a better video card and 80 gig hard drive. Finally, I'd like to see them take at least $100 off the price. Do you think that is possible? Don't updates normally include a small price break?

For example, the last iBook update jumped 130 MHZ and added airport extreme, while they lowered the price too.