Apple set to debut flash-based iPod, new PowerBook models

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    I want a better res on 17" damn it! Never going to happen, but I can dream.

Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Finally, I'd like to see them take at least $100 off the price. Do you think that is possible? Don't updates normally include a small price break?

I don't know about the US, but in Canada all our Powerbook prices went down $200 CDN across the board this week.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

As far as the calculated clock speeds go, you can go actually use non-half multipliers... for example:

167 (fsb) * 10.25 = 1711.75

Apple has had processors overclocked but rated them under that before. I believe it was last generation 12" iBook was rated at 1ghz but if you went to apple profiler or used ioreg -l you would see that the processor was actually 1.050ghz (extra 50mhz :P)

That iBook wasn't "overclocked".

Just a 133.33mhz system bus and an 8x multiplier = 1066.66

Which the system profiler tools round up to 1.07Ghz

I can't find any info that confirms ".25" or non half multipliers... so i think that is bogus for now.

The 1.7Ghz and 1.73 Ghz G4s from Giga Designs dont appear to use them either. This seems to be the ultimate source of misinfo here. They are upgrading systems with 100mhz buses (like the cube) to "1.7Ghz" with the obvious 17x multiplier. The "1.73Ghz" chips they are selling run on systems with 133mhz busses and must use a 13x multiplier.

It makes sense for AI to say that the chip will be 1666.66mhz (1.67Ghz)

But not that it will be sold as or actually be 1.7 (unless they get a 200mhz bus)
  • Reply 43 of 60
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

That iBook wasn't "overclocked".

Just a 133.33mhz system bus and an 8x multiplier = 1066.66

Which the system profiler tools round up to 1.07Ghz

I can't find any info that confirms ".25" or non half multipliers... so i think that is bogus for now.

The 1.7Ghz and 1.73 Ghz G4s from Giga Designs dont appear to use them either. This seems to be the ultimate source of misinfo here. They are upgrading systems with 100mhz buses (like the cube) to "1.7Ghz" with the obvious 17x multiplier. The "1.73Ghz" chips they are selling run on systems with 133mhz busses and must use a 13x multiplier.

It makes sense for AI to say that the chip will be 1666.66mhz (1.67Ghz)

But not that it will be sold as or actually be 1.7 (unless they get a 200mhz bus)

I have been building pc's for 8 years. Trust me the .25 multipliers is NOT bogus. It depends on the quality of your motherboard. A lot of ABit Motherboards do it. I've seen some MSI and Asus boards do it as well. In fact, on most ABit boards you can enter any number you want. They aren't in a menu that you select like most boards. So you could put in 8.37 if you really wanted to... and it works.

I didn't mean that they were overclocked chips, what I meant to say is they are clocked higher than apple rates them at. Bad wording... sorry.

From what I understand Freescale has been working with 200mhz fsb. I wouldn't doubt at all that the new powerbooks run at a 200mhz front side bus since they are supposedly freescale cpus. Therefor 1.7ghz is entirely possible.

The powerbook does have a weak fsb compared to pc laptops. It's time for a bump, but it may be possible we don't see it until the dual core or g5 revs.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

It's time for a bump, but it may be possible we don't see it until the dual core or g5 revs.

my bet is totally on dual-core G4s before powerbook G5... unless by some miracle...

"Dual Core. Two Computers For The Price Of One"

-------------

how we long

to dance under

the warm light

of a thousand galaxies

and move the stars

with the swaying

of our hips
  • Reply 45 of 60
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

I have been building pc's for 8 years. Trust me the .25 multipliers is NOT bogus. It depends on the quality of your motherboard.

The G4 has a limited set of clock rate multipliers, and it does not include 0.25 multiples. This is not a function of the motherboard in PPC machines.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

From what I understand Freescale has been working with 200mhz fsb. I wouldn't doubt at all that the new powerbooks run at a 200mhz front side bus since they are supposedly freescale cpus. Therefor 1.7ghz is entirely possible.

It depends on which chip they use. If it's the 7447b, based on the same ol' same ol', it has a 167 Mhz bus. If it's the newer 7448, based on the new e600, it has a 200 Mhz bus. Not THAT big of a difference either way, but I guess every little bit counts there. (The key will be the L2 cache. If it's 512, it's still the 7447, but if it's 1 Mb, that's the new chip.)
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

The G4 has a limited set of clock rate multipliers, and it does not include 0.25 multiples. This is not a function of the motherboard in PPC machines.

Thanks for setting that part straight Programmer, I'm sure there are different rules for the PPC boards. I wonder if there is a way to tell what the multiplier is set at using an assembly program.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It depends on which chip they use. If it's the 7447b, based on the same ol' same ol', it has a 167 Mhz bus. If it's the newer 7448, based on the new e600, it has a 200 Mhz bus. Not THAT big of a difference either way, but I guess every little bit counts there. (The key will be the L2 cache. If it's 512, it's still the 7447, but if it's 1 Mb, that's the new chip.)

I personally think the powerbooks need all the help they can get. Even a minute jump from 167 to 200 fsb may make a difference. Not a huge one obviously. But a welcomed one
  • Reply 49 of 60
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Thanks for setting that part straight Programmer, I'm sure there are different rules for the PPC boards. I wonder if there is a way to tell what the multiplier is set at using an assembly program.

I think it would have to be a kernel extension so that you'd be running in supervisor mode -- otherwise I don't think you can read that information. I haven't looked at this for ages, however, so I might be wrong about that...
  • Reply 50 of 60
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    here it is, the new iPod micro... 240 songs, no screen.

Life is Random.

http://www.macitynet.it/english/aA20182/
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

That is exactly what I was wondering. I thought I read somewhere that the new G4s from Freescale had a 200 MHz front side bus?

Thats what im finding interesting too... Apple know the current G4's FSB sucks...

Quote:

Originally posted by legaleagle

Huh? Que? Wha? Oh, and WTF?

Google on 'clock multiplier'. That should help you out.

But basically its 'processor speed' divided by 'FSB speed'.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    hi there

prices dropped by 10% last week in all applestores accross Europe

so people bought powerbooks in mass

do you really think Apple would trick these people by releasing a new powerbook based on a faster processor, better video card while people just bought it last week ?
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

hi there

do you really think Apple would trick these people by releasing a new powerbook based on a faster processor, better video card while people just bought it last week ?

Yeah, Apple hates Europeans. That's why they schemed to play a trick on as many of them as possible. Lower prices - what a mean trick!
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

hi there

Yes, its called clearly out old stock. They aren't being "tricked" into it, they are being encouraged to buy the existing product at a discounted price. Having old product sitting on the shelves when a new one arrives can lead to a lot of stale and unmoveable expensive inventory.

Or it could be that they are just trying to reinvigorate sales.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    ok thanks

so that confirms again the arrival of new powerbooks...
  • Reply 56 of 60
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Yes, its called clearly out old stock. They aren't being "tricked" into it, they are being encouraged to buy the existing product at a discounted price. Having old product sitting on the shelves when a new one arrives can lead to a lot of stale and unmoveable expensive inventory.

Or it could be that they are just trying to reinvigorate sales.

It's called adjusting the prices to the low USD. All prices were lowered.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    My wife and I are anxiously awaiting the G4 PowerBook bumps, but we are also looking at our budget. As I don't recall how the last set of bumps affected the prices of the new models, would someone who does recall the last bump please offer an estimation of what the prices would be across the board? We are budgeting around $3K for the higher-end 15-inch model.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    From rumors the Powerbooks will get standard 5200 rpm drives and new graphics cards... (low mhz bump)... I doubt the prices will be adjusted a whole lot from what they are now. They should lower 1-2 hundred IMO... but it doesn't happen often. Hopefully apple does though.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Squirrel_Monkey

My wife and I are anxiously awaiting the G4 PowerBook bumps, but we are also looking at our budget. As I don't recall how the last set of bumps affected the prices of the new models, would someone who does recall the last bump please offer an estimation of what the prices would be across the board? We are budgeting around $3K for the higher-end 15-inch model.

Not much change, in fact a few small drops occurred at the last revision.

12" stayed at $1599 (combo)/$1799 (SD)

15" low-end stayed $1999

15" high-end dropped $100 from $2599 to $2499

17" dropped $200 from $2999 to $2799

If the revisions coming up are minor as some expect, then I'd imagine slight drops occurring again to the entire line. At worst, the pricing stays as is.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Squirrel_Monkey

hi squirrel_monkey, i think you are right to hold on a bit, but only if you're not getting too anxious.

the newer slightly speed bumped powerbooks may not offer you anything too fantastic, unless it is the new G5 powerbooks... but as usual don't buy the first rev of these unless you're super confident. i don't think the new G5 powerbooks will realistically ship until at least 3 months from now, if they appear... they will ! they will !

$3k is a sweet deal, go for it if you forsee you and your wife making full and joyous use of the PowerBook. You can always add 512mb or 1GB ram at a later stage, especially if it is not purchased from Apple

? 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM

? 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

? Full 3 year warranty AppleCare

? 15.2-inch TFT Display

Estimated Ship:

7-10 business days

Free Shipping

Subtotal $3,098.00