Whois gonna let Mac OSX 10.4 "tiger" pass?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Wait a sec...are they FINALLY adding "Save and Shutdown" or "Hibernate" as Windows calls it, where it saves the RAM contents to the hard drive? That would be sweet, and make PowerBook and iBook users very very happy.

Hibernate SUCKS I have used it and it seems to screw things up, I seem to after wakeing a system up, get a bunch of memory errors.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Hibernate SUCKS I have used it and it seems to screw things up, I seem to after wakeing a system up, get a bunch of memory errors.

I have a windows box at home for CAD work and hibernate it, i never have any problems! I have problems with everything else though!!!
  • Reply 43 of 73
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

All the new features? Feh.

When are we going to get a Finder that's even close to being as fast as Windows Explorer? I'd pay $129 for that, easily.

The other stuff is just icing. Apple, it's been almost 4 years, when are you going to give us a decent Finder? How about a decent UI for browsing network volumes? Let's get the fundamentals right, before we go setting up any whizbang stuff...

uhhh take a look at spotlight.... u wont even have to use the finder anymore.. and im sure it will be wayyyy faster than windows explorer
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

uhhh take a look at spotlight.... u wont even have to use the finder anymore.. and im sure it will be wayyyy faster than windows explorer

I was reading something a while back and if I recall it correctly, it said that Apple's new focus was to make it so easy to find things that the Finder wasn't even used very much anymore.

A document-centric approach if you will. Instead of digging through folders looking for apps and files just make a huge database of everything, and let the user search when they need to find a file. So unless Apple invents some radical new version of the finder, expect it to be less and less of a focus and new apps like Spotlight become the focus of Apple's system software.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I'm absolutely getting Tiger, and I think those who don't see the value don't get how significant the changes are.

Tiger is not about a bunch of stupid eye candy, although it has some.

Spotlight and coreaudio and corevideo will take your Mac experience to the next level.

Plus when the community of Dashboard developers flourishes and there are tons of add-ons--sort of like Konfabulator started to be then died off--resistance will be futile.

Tiger is the best OSX yet. I hate to say it, but if you don't see it, you're really missing the boat.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    If you're not getting Tiger then ask yourself. "Why the hell am I into computing"

Tiger is the culmination of over 2 years of hard work by a programming team. Your productivity should go up. I get a kick out of someone who says.

Automator- "I'd never use that"

Spotlight- "I like my current organizational structure"

Dashboard- "That's a Konfabulator rip"

Quicktime "I use Videolan or XXXX"

There is always a negative justification for you to build a crutch. I presume that most of this stems from people that just don't want to part with more money. Computers can be a hard habit to feed at times.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Another reason to upgrade: text annotation capability in Preview!
  • Reply 48 of 73
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    The more I learn about Tiger from the people who know on this board, the more I really want it. Looks like a major advance for Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    will Tiger be fully dedicated to 64-bit processing? i'm kinda waiting until 64-bit processing becomes the new industry standard (at least with all Macs) before i upgrade to a new Mac OS
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

will Tiger be fully dedicated to 64-bit processing? i'm kinda waiting until 64-bit processing becomes the new industry standard (at least with all Macs) before i upgrade to a new Mac OS

Panther is 64-bit, so will be Tiger, but to more extent, full 64-bit support.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    the Panther OS can take full advantage of the G5 chip? i thought in certain applications it bascially ran in "32-bit mode" or something
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

the Panther OS can take full advantage of the G5 chip? i thought in certain applications it bascially ran in "32-bit mode" or something

While Tiger will most certainly have more optimizations for the G5, whether your apps are 32-bit or 64-bit, the G5 doesn't care. There's no "32-bit" mode, it's all one-and-the-same "mode." The only thing you gain by going to 64-bit is being able to have more memory available to processes/apps. The only apps that need or would benefit from that are science stuff (that I will not pretend to understand) and video editing.

TextEdit, Safari, iTunes, and a vast majority of the apps that most people use will not run any faster if they were compiled in a "64-bit mode." Unless you've got one massive iTunes library...

There's a bunch of threads out there that would explain this phenomena more in-depth.

Edit: Here's one.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX

While Tiger will most certainly have more optimizations for the G5, whether your apps are 32-bit or 64-bit, the G5 doesn't care. There's no "32-bit" mode, it's all one-and-the-same "mode." The only thing you gain by going to 64-bit is being able to have more memory available to processes/apps. The only apps that need or would benefit from that are science stuff (that I will not pretend to understand) and video editing.

TextEdit, Safari, iTunes, and a vast majority of the apps that most people use will not run any faster if they were compiled in a "64-bit mode." Unless you've got one massive iTunes library...

There's a bunch of threads out there that would explain this phenomena more in-depth.

Edit: Here's one.

Video, such as recording it or converting it from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 or DivX or H.264 when it becomes a realistic choice, place some pretty substantial loads on a system. If the apps were to be optimized for a 64 bit processor things could be speeded up appreciably. If one gets into HD video capture and editing I am not sure there is a thing as too much processing power.

Music has always been limited by the capacity of the CD media and the format recording it. Though no one has addressed the possibility of changing codecs or media (and players) for music it would be interesting to see just what improvements are possible.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

Video, such as recording it or converting it from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 or DivX or H.264 when it becomes a realistic choice, place some pretty substantial loads on a system. If the apps were to be optimized for a 64 bit processor things could be speeded up appreciably. If one gets into HD video capture and editing I am not sure there is a thing as too much processing power.

Music has always been limited by the capacity of the CD media and the format recording it. Though no one has addressed the possibility of changing codecs or media (and players) for music it would be interesting to see just what improvements are possible.

definitely, but I think the important thing to see is that CD audio is uncompresseed, video is compressed, H.264 is a compression albeit a better compression.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

definitely, but I think the important thing to see is that CD audio is uncompresseed, video is compressed, H.264 is a compression albeit a better compression.

Most definitely, but with music there have been definite limits to what could be used as the input source. MP3s had a sufficient quality loss that they were not a useful codec for original CDs/albums. I do not know what testing has been done in the area of H.264 or even DivX 6 (which has recently been proposed as a standard for HD recordings using existing equipment, not Blu-Ray!) that the opportunity exists to see what can be done. It is not that the current generation of CDs are "bad", but they are not comparable to a good analog (vinyl) recording in a critical listening environment. IIRC there was a "super CD" a few years ago that offered technically superior recordings but never gained sufficient acceptance to become a commercial standard. It could be that we will remain with the uncompressed AIFF/WAV file standards simply for those reasons.

Cheers!
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

Most definitely, but with music there have been definite limits to what could be used as the input source. MP3s had a sufficient quality loss that they were not a useful codec for original CDs/albums. I do not know what testing has been done in the area of H.264 or even DivX 6 (which has recently been proposed as a standard for HD recordings using existing equipment, not Blu-Ray!) that the opportunity exists to see what can be done. It is not that the current generation of CDs are "bad", but they are not comparable to a good analog (vinyl) recording in a critical listening environment. IIRC there was a "super CD" a few years ago that offered technically superior recordings but never gained sufficient acceptance to become a commercial standard. It could be that we will remain with the uncompressed AIFF/WAV file standards simply for those reasons.

Cheers!

VHS was inferior and still one! Yeah CDs do not have the range found in Vinyl, I love vinyl. I do a show for a local radio station and i love to use vinyl.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    I'll most likely be buying the first revision of PowerMac G5 that comes with Tiger... unless I can't resist and buy Tiger by itself..
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Squozen

I'll most likely be buying the first revision of PowerMac G5 that comes with Tiger... unless I can't resist and buy Tiger by itself..

I'll probably buy a PowerBook today (if they come out) and then get Tiger, i can't wait till Tiger for a new computer. Also probably better to wait for the first revision to Tiger - remember Panther and filevault!
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I'll probably buy a PowerBook today (if they come out) and then get Tiger, i can't wait till Tiger for a new computer. Also probably better to wait for the first revision to Tiger - remember Panther and filevault!

I still don't think anyone trusts filevault!
  • Reply 60 of 73
    moosemanmooseman Posts: 126member
    Are you kidding me? This update is HUGE. CoreData is HUGE. 10.4 and Xcode 2 will be a boon for developing inhouse apps. I'm on it like white on rice, like ugly on an ape, like stink on shit, etc, etc.