Whois gonna let Mac OSX 10.4 "tiger" pass?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by mooseman

I'm on it like white on rice, like ugly on an ape, like stink on shit, etc, etc.

Like a fat kid on a smarty even?
  • Reply 62 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mooseman

Are you kidding me? This update is HUGE. CoreData is HUGE. 10.4 and Xcode 2 will be a boon for developing inhouse apps. I'm on it like white on rice, like ugly on an ape, like stink on shit, etc, etc.

Mooseman if an OS doesn't have flashing lights and bloop blip sounds some folks just can't be bothered with it.

No one who values being somewhat current is going to "pass" on Tiger. Give it a year and the coolest apps will be "Tiger Only"
  • Reply 63 of 73
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I got burned moving from Jaguar to Panther because Avid didn't support the OS change in Xpress DV 3.5. Pissed me off something fierce.

Now the same thing will happen again. Until I know what I'm getting into with my Avid software's ability to run on the OS (or not), I'm sticking with Panther.

Oh, and please, no "You should use FCP anyway because it's WAY better than Avid." I'm not having that argument with any of you, so don't even start.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I got burned moving from Jaguar to Panther because Avid didn't support the OS change in Xpress DV 3.5. Pissed me off something fierce.

Now the same thing will happen again. Until I know what I'm getting into with my Avid software's ability to run on the OS (or not), I'm sticking with Panther.

Oh, and please, no "You should use FCP anyway because it's WAY better than Avid." I'm not having that argument with any of you, so don't even start.

I waited six months for Panther - I couldn't afford it so... anywho, I CAN'T WAIT FOR TIGER. I'm going to be in the shop at 10:00 in Regents Street on the 15th! I don't develop apps but there are soo many features. Core Image, Dashboard and most importantly Spotlight - smart everything! New Mail and Finder will kick arse. Automator will be useful for getting Joy of Techs automatically!! I really can't wait. I've made a list of all the features that I'll have in Tiger that I want, it's huge. This is bigger than 10.2 to 10.3.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

There's nothing wrong with being cautious about changes. After someone else has either found out your important apps work or the fixes for them are out will be the right time to make a (hopefully) painless transition.

Let's hope they fixed the darn finder at last.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    I didnt bother with Panther and to be honest I certainly havent felt left out. My Mac still works fine.

Bumped up the 800mhz iMac to 768mb RAM to accomodate Tiger though.

Just starting to find some compatability issues with 10.2.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    even though overall speed and such improved on my comp from 10.2 to 10.3, i might have to pass on tiger just because i don't have the computer power to run it well. i have 512 mb RAM, but that just doesn't compensate for a 450 mhz G3. i might just have to wait til i get my own laptop for college. G5 powerbook, baby!
  • Reply 68 of 73
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    'Automator- "I'd never use that" '

I cant really say whether most people would use this. I am not an AppleScript fan, or expert, so I cant comment.

'Spotlight- "I like my current organizational structure" '

Spotlight is the best feature Apple have released since 10.0

'Dashboard- "That's a Konfabulator rip" '

Well rip or not it didn't impress me ( I have the WWDC build on my puter and have seen later versions). The apps are modal, and may have some functionality for people who like these simple widgets for weather, time etc.

But, in effect , in bringing in dashboard, you are bringing in a new operating environment, with ugly graphics, busy screens, no drag and drop between those apps , no obvious relationship between the dashboard apps and the main system. It adds whole new "themes"and per-Application UI to OS X too. Steve would not like, or accept, applications that look like these widgets in the main system. Beyond all that , in the versions i saw, I could see performance degradation using top. Each widget was taking memory - and significant memory too, and taking CPU cycles when invisible. I assume the latter problem has been fixed, at least for Apple widgets. I would however, be very careful about third party widgets.

'Quicktime "I use Videolan or XXXX" '

Well I am sure the new Quicktime update is great. I was happy enough as it was.

CoreData, and CoreImage would be good reasons to update, and that spiffy new OpenGL wrapper in Objective C.

So a very good update, but not for the candy. Spotlilght is a lot more than candy.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Quicktime "I use Videolan or XXXX"

Well if third party plugins can do h264 now, then that argument is a valid one, and besides, h.264 (as well as full screen controls) will likely be built into the panther and windows versions as well, so that is less of an upgrade driver.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Well if third party plugins can do h264 now, then that argument is a valid one, and besides, h.264 (as well as full screen controls) will likely be built into the panther and windows versions as well, so that is less of an upgrade driver.

True but people forget that Quicktime is a framework that applications are built on. So when Quicktime gets a feature all applications based on Quicktime can be easily updated to support the new featurs. Thus we'll see iMovie export to AVC very quickly once Tiger ships. There's a difference between simply playing back a codec and inserting that codec deep into the bowels of thousands of shipping applications. I know which one I prefer.

Quote:

But, in effect , in bringing in dashboard, you are bringing in a new operating environment, with ugly graphics, busy screens, no drag and drop between those apps , no obvious relationship between the dashboard apps and the main system. It adds whole new "themes"and per-Application UI to OS X too. Steve would not like, or accept, applications that look like these widgets in the main system. Beyond all that , in the versions i saw, I could see performance degradation using top. Each widget was taking memory - and significant memory too, and taking CPU cycles when invisible. I assume the latter problem has been fixed, at least for Apple widgets. I would however, be very careful about third party widgets.

Wrong. You're merely bringing in a new way of utilizing "mini" webpages. I think you don't see much drag-n-drop because Widgets are so specialize there really isn't the need in most cases. Well the version you saw must have been old. Apple just release two Webcasts on Friday which covered Tiger Client and Server. The engineer said Widgets only consumer CPU and Memory when you're actually using them. Once their gone they "quiesce" he mentioned no disparity between Apple widgets versus other. You are also incorrect in stating that there is no obvious relationship between Widgets and the main system. The Addressbook Widget ties right into the main AB system. The clocks of course tie into the computers clock system.

I'm excited to see the little and unheralded tweaks that make the system more of a joy to use. I'm sure we'll all pick our favorites.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison Apple just release two Webcasts on Friday which covered Tiger Client and Server.

Are they available for non-developpers ?
  • Reply 72 of 73
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

True but people forget that Quicktime is a framework that applications are built on. So when Quicktime gets a feature all applications based on Quicktime can be easily updated to support the new featurs. Thus we'll see iMovie export to AVC very quickly once Tiger ships. There's a difference between simply playing back a codec and inserting that codec deep into the bowels of thousands of shipping applications. I know which one I prefer.

Wrong. You're merely bringing in a new way of utilizing "mini" webpages. I think you don't see much drag-n-drop because Widgets are so specialize there really isn't the need in most cases. Well the version you saw must have been old. Apple just release two Webcasts on Friday which covered Tiger Client and Server. The engineer said Widgets only consumer CPU and Memory when you're actually using them. Once their gone they "quiesce" he mentioned no disparity between Apple widgets versus other. You are also incorrect in stating that there is no obvious relationship between Widgets and the main system. The Addressbook Widget ties right into the main AB system. The clocks of course tie into the computers clock system.

I'm excited to see the little and unheralded tweaks that make the system more of a joy to use. I'm sure we'll all pick our favorites.

Where is that webcast? I woud love to watch and hear engineers talk about this stuff.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    what are these webcasts you speak of.