Mac mini misses its target consumer

Comments

• Reply 201 of 289
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

So, keyboard but no mouse? How about all the complaints about Apple's one-button mouse? I like it but...

Ha ha ha, That?s funny. I have in my bomb shelter (Swiss thing ) a box with 4 brand-new keyboards and mice from Apple. I have never used them, one button mouse , white gay dirt attracting keyboard \. I?m really happy Apple left them out; it saves me from storing them or throwing them out. Get over it people!

<EDIT>Added link about our bomb shelters</EDIT>
  • Reply 202 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

They are trying to sell to customers that are used to buying things the PC way. They will price compare.

They will say, how can they sell a computer without a mouse and keyboard? Why cant I just add RAM myself? Why does Apple charge so much for RAM?

These will be issues even though you guys dont want to see it.

I was gonna buy one until I read that. What were they thinking?
  • Reply 203 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

For the Love of All Things Holy, would you people please stop chanting about upgrading the damn video card. Is that written above some locker room where PCers go to work out or something? I swear they all say the exact same thing.

Apple does not want you to upgrade the video card. There is no video card. There is no reason to upgrade the video card. It makes no sense to put a $500 video card in a $499 computer.

It makes sense to to the thousands of PC owners who have done just that.

I'm a PC owner, and I think it's too bad the MiniMac is so skimpy on hardware (not to mention it's apparent lack of user-upgradability). Including myself, there are four guys in my office considering buying a MiniMac (we're C++ programmers, not your run-of-the-mill PC user). Of the four, I'm the only one that wishes there was more juice in the hardware in terms of video (the chipset Apple is using is like four years old now).

For the record, I don't care about the lack of keyboard or mouse, or even that it only has two USB ports. I just don't want to be robbed in order to get more memory or a larger hard drive into it. Hell, even their laptops are memory upgradable. What were they thinking?
  • Reply 204 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I actually agree with you on this point-this isn't a gamers machine.

It would have been a nice option, but video cards rarely get upgraded by the average consumer.

The PM G5 is a gamers machine.

OK, thats it for me for the night. Carry on.

But the OS GUI is built around OpenGL, is it not? More video muscle is always a good thing for an GUI built on OGL.

BTW, I can build an AMD64-based "gamer's machine" with a lot more oomph than a PowerMac for a LOT less money, but that's not what this thread is about.
  • Reply 205 of 289
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jsimmons

But the OS GUI is built around OpenGL, is it not? More video muscle is always a good thing for an GUI built on OGL.

BTW, I can build an AMD64-based "gamer's machine" with a lot more oomph than a PowerMac for a LOT less money, but that's not what this thread is about.

But try finding decent HD video software (FCE HD) for under 1000$, and show me an included suit for a self built windows rig that matches iLife pound for pound, Web brousers, IE 6 or safari, safari has its quirks but it is not as "hole-y" as ie6 out of the box in xp.

And over all security, plug that windows rig into a dsl line with no fire wall or router, do nothing else to it and come back in 2 hrs...

Overall security: BSD v WIN NT, are we seeing the added value yet?

BTW the only thing windows CAN do right is gameing, If all you want to do is play games, get a pc, if you want to get real work done, get a Mac.

BTW time is money, a good tech, can charge like 60$/hr, at least arround here) and to build and configure this system, you are looking at ~5 hrs, that is $300 in time, whereas the mac takes ~1 hr to set up out of the box, that is a saveings in time of ~$240

I agree that the sp g5 is ~500$ over priced, but dual processor rigs on the PC side aint cheap.
  • Reply 206 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Besides, I'd wager that a lot of PCs have about 256MB, and XP doesn't exactly thrive in that amount of RAM (although it's not horrible either, in my experience). It'll do.

Man, you'd lose a lot on money making a bet like that. Even my laptop has 728mb. I don't know anyone that doesn't have at least 512mb. Windows 2K and XP need 256mb just to stand upright...
  • Reply 207 of 289
    Quote:

Wow, I'm so happy to see your last paragraph. Maybe Apple hasn't missed their "target consumer" after all.

As for RAM, I think Apple's 512MB upgrade at $75 is very reasonable. It gives buyers a very usable computer for not much more than they'd pay for third party RAM. The very high price Apple is charging for the Gigabyte upgrade reflects their interest in not making this a high end computer. Why not, make it difficult or expensive to top out the Mac mini? It's another reason for people to consider getting a higher-end model. This is perfectly understandable, IMO.

Okay, this is just plain dumb.

Joe-blow consumer looking at the MiniMac: "Gee, the upgrade to 1gb is so expensive..."

Retail sales nitwit: "Well, then, you might want to consider this machine here - it comes with a 12-inch monitor."

Joe-blow consumer looking at the MiniMac: "Cool. How much memory does it come with?"

Retail sales nitwit: "256mb. But it comes with a monitor."

Joe-blow consumer looking at the MiniMac: "Then I still have to pay for the upgrade to 1gb."

Retail sales nitwit: "Of course, and that upgrade costs even more."

Joe-blow consumer looking at the MiniMac: "I see. Hey, tell me about those PC's again..."

Even the most power Macs available only come with 256MB stock. WTF is that about?
  • Reply 208 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

OK- so I went to dell and tried to configure a computer that has firewire and this is what I came up with...

Dimension 3000

2.8GHz P4

Windows XP Pro (more comparable to Mac OS X- if you don't want it subtract $71)

256MB RAM

40GB Hard Drive

Dual Drives (DVD and CDRW- 'cause it was cheaper than a single combo drive)

NO MONITOR

Integrated Audio

Integrated Intel Graphics (They don't say how much VRAM- so I would assume 32MB)

1394 Adapter

No speakers

Keyboard and mouse (you can't build one without them)

No extra software except for wordperfect

Final Price

$569

OK, now lets take a look at the Mac mini

1.25GHz G4

256MB RAM

40GB Hard Drive

Slot load combo drive

NO MONITOR

Integrated Audio Out only

Integrated ATI 32MB Graphics

Firewire

iMovie HD

iPhoto

iTunes

iDVD

Garage Band

Appleworks

Price $499

Yeah- PCs are much cheaper and a better value.

-taco

p.s. I just think you have unrealistic expectations on price/performance when compared to the PC market.

I build my own machines - here's one I build for my dad's wife last week, buying all components from NewEgg:

Case w/ 300w power supply

AMD 2500 Barton (OEM)

Chaintech nForce2 motherboard (includes onboard LAN, onboard audio, two serial ports, a parallel port, SIX USB 2.0 ports, and firewire 400)

512MB PC2100

ATI Radeon 9200 (retail card)

Hitachi 120GB hard drive

CD-RW/DVD drive

Floppy drive

Heatsink/fan for CPU

With ground shipping, it came to $508.

My dad's wife is re-using her old keyboard, mouse, and monitor, as well as her copy of Win2K, MS Office, and other software.

Looks to me like she got more computer for the same money (obvious security benefits of OS-X notwithstanding). BTW, she went to Dell, and they would have charged her a couple hundred dollars more for a similar machine, even if she omitted the OS they wanted to sell her.
  • Reply 209 of 289
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

...Even the most power Macs available only come with 256MB stock. WTF is that about?

This thread isn't about Power Macs. Take a look at the Dell site. Every low-end computer comes with 256MB stock, until you get to $879 (on sale). Other Macs do have extra slots, a big selling point.

All I was trying to point out was Apple's reasoning for providing only one slot; to make this thing, obviously, a low-end machine that is difficult to soup up.
  • Reply 210 of 289
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Man, you'd lose a lot on money making a bet like that. Even my laptop has 728mb. I don't know anyone that doesn't have at least 512mb. Windows 2K and XP need 256mb just to stand upright...

No he wouldn't. I'm at my parent's house. There are two PC's here. They have..... 256mb. In a moment we'll be going to my fiancé's house. They have a PC with 128. My parents are still good friends with my ex's parents. They have 128.

Now the bad news. In my dorm room (and every other dorm room at my school) there is a computer provided by the school running Windows Xp on 128mb! Although you're right, I wouldn't say it's standing upright Last year those same computers were running 2000 and they were "upright then"

The point being that Joseph Blow (that target market guy, damn he's always getting in the way...) usually only has what came standard at the time that he bought his computer. Even today that's 256 on a lot of PC's.
  • Reply 211 of 289
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Normal people do not build their own computers!

Jeez, the mac mini is clearly not aimed at that tiny geek market.
  • Reply 212 of 289
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I build my own machines - here's one I build for my dad's wife last week, buying all components from NewEgg:

Looks to me like she got more computer for the same money (obvious security benefits of OS-X notwithstanding).

Matter of opinion. She didn't pay you for your time, and it's heavier, bulkier, bigger, and still doesn't run OS X.
  • Reply 213 of 289
    resres Posts: 711member
    I cannot understand all the complaints about the mini not coming with a mouse or keyboard. I thank it was mainly done for two reasons:

1) It is a better marketing strategy to to have a $499 computer which you need to add $30 for a keyboard and mouse than a $529 computer that bundles them in -- that is just the weird way that it works. And a good number of the people will buy a keyboard and mouse from Apple anyway.

2) There have been a lot of complaints about bundling that useless one button mouse with Macs, and a lost of us have more usb keyboards lying around then we know what to do with. So Apple responded by un-bundling the mouse and keyboard, and now each person can make there own choice about which keyboard and mouse they use without having to toss out the ones included with the machine.

I, for one, cheered when I heard that we were not going to be forced to pay for a keyboard and one button mouse with the mini, and I truly hope that this becomes a trend that effects the rest of the Mac lines.
  • Reply 214 of 289
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

I, for one, cheered when I heard that we were not going to be forced to pay for a keyboard and one button mouse with the mini, and I truly hope that this becomes a trend that effects the rest of the Mac lines.

Here here! Apple's keyboards and mice just haven't been all that popular lately. The KB is not adjustable and the mouse has no scroll wheel.
  • Reply 215 of 289
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

So, keyboard but no mouse? How about all the complaints about Apple's one-button mouse? I like it but...

I actually dislike the Apple mouse.

The mouse isnt all that importanrt since there are no inputs that are different than Windows. The Keyboard has the USB ports, the command and control where it belongs, the CD eject button, etc.

Any USB mouse will do so I dont think its as important as the keyboard
  • Reply 216 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by BillH

I've been reading forums here, MacNN, Ars, Slashdot and following the press and feedback at cNet. In general the response has been more than favorable to the mini. What is getting harder to understand as time goes by is how so many people keep getting sucked into these hardware arguments. I spent four years forced into working on a MS/NT-4 box and didn't seem to progress one bit either in enjoyment nor utilization of the computer. Every thing just seemed so dang difficult to learn and execute. I finally said forget it and bought my G4 17" 1ghz iMac that has worse specs than the mini with the exception of the gpu. Within a couple of weeks I was putting together slide shows of my sons basketball teams for his coach that almost brought the tough as nails guys to tears. I did a promo for work with slides, music and voiceover which we used as an invitation to an event we were having. I ripped my entire CD collection into iTunes which labeled and sorted everything with me just having to hit a feed and eject button. My daughter made a Mothers day DVD for my wife that in fact brought her to tears. I've left the world of trojans, viruses and spyware behind in the process. This is why I'm a mac nut. It's plain and simply being able to do all these things while having to learn very little about the computer. Not because of the speed of the processor. Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Boy, theres a lot of crying going on in that house!
  • Reply 217 of 289
    Quote:

It makes sense to to the thousands of PC owners who have done just that.

I'm a PC owner, and I think it's too bad the MiniMac is so skimpy on hardware (not to mention it's apparent lack of user-upgradability). Including myself, there are four guys in my office considering buying a MiniMac (we're C++ programmers, not your run-of-the-mill PC user). Of the four, I'm the only one that wishes there was more juice in the hardware in terms of video (the chipset Apple is using is like four years old now).

For the record, I don't care about the lack of keyboard or mouse, or even that it only has two USB ports. I just don't want to be robbed in order to get more memory or a larger hard drive into it. Hell, even their laptops are memory upgradable. What were they thinking?

Unfortunately with Jobs, genius that he is, he forgets to put use over esthetics. He wanted it to be a certain size and that was that, thus only one RAM slot. To me this is the biggest mistake and to not make it user changeable.
  • Reply 218 of 289
    Quote:

Absolutely correct. 512Mb is the minimum windows XP and OSX should run on. 256Mb is not enough
  • Reply 219 of 289
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    I think that many people are missing an important point - this is the "web-computer" done right. Plug your DVI into your HD flat screen. Add a Griffin Firewave for 5.1. Buy it with bluetooth and WiFi and use a wireless controller. This is what MS tried to do years ago, but the technology i(and) the market is now mature.

All the computer geeks are trying to equare it to PC's, just like audio guys compared the iPod to Walkmans ...
  • Reply 220 of 289
    I had the same non-expandable complaints about the iPod.

- user can't replace the battery

- can't upgrade the hard drive

That explains why the iPod is the flop that it is, and every other MP3 player out there is thriving, along with every other music store outside of iTunes.

Oh, wait, I'm wrong.

So, you mean we should consider what Joe Consumer wants in a computer instead of what us computer geeks want? Computer geeks that don't buy bottom-of-the-line boxes?

Folks, Apple is getting very consumer savvy. There is a good reason they left out all the "peripherals". Yes, a keyboard and mouse is an input peripheral. For the same reason they sell computers with a minimum of memory (c'mon a dual 1.8 with 256MB?). So that retailers can upsell.

How many people buy the bottom-of-the-line, get-you-in-the-store computer? About as many as buy the car that comes with no options. Nowadays, computer retailers are no longer making big margins (thanks to Dell) so they have to make it elsewhere.

And retailers will love this $500 box as it will give them excuses to sell up to a couple of hundred bucks of extras with decent margins. No salesman is going to push a buyer to a $499 all-in-one Windoze box (if one such exists) when they can make more money with a Mac mini and all the extras.