Apple-Sony: "Who knows, maybe someday computers and music too."

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    As we're talking PSP. may I also add into the pot the leak of the PSP patch that adds, among other things:

Artificial voice engine for reading text

SonicStage music download system

News download system

Calculator function

Voice chat function

PSP e-mail software

PSP word processor

PSP Web browser

PSP schedule software

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01...s_6116490.html

The PSP has also been tested for compatibility with Mac OS X over USB and Airport, and they do connect:

http://hardmac.com/article.php?id=45&page=3

http://hardmac.com/article.php?id=45&page=4
  • Reply 62 of 87
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

As we're talking PSP. may I also add into the pot the leak of the PSP patch that adds, among other things:

Artificial voice engine for reading text

SonicStage music download system

News download system

Calculator function

Voice chat function

PSP e-mail software

PSP word processor

PSP Web browser

PSP schedule software

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01...s_6116490.html

The PSP has also been tested for compatibility with Mac OS X over USB and Airport, and they do connect:

http://hardmac.com/article.php?id=45&page=3

http://hardmac.com/article.php?id=45&page=4

cool
  • Reply 63 of 87
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    OK, this is the Temporary Insanity forum, so take those functions, take a few speculative steps to get

Artificial voice engine for reading text - Speech/Voice Recognition on PSP?

SonicStage music download system - iTunes and Music Store on PSP?

News download system - Safari RSS?

Calculator function - um, a Calculator!!?

Voice chat function - iChat client?

PSP e-mail software - .mac Mail client?

PSP word processor - iWork compatible?

PSP Web browser - Safari RSS?

PSP schedule software - .mac iCal sync?

Very cool!
  • Reply 64 of 87
    Sony is building Cell Workstations, Workstations need an OS, Tiger is 64bit ready, Cell is PPC based...

I can dream
  • Reply 65 of 87
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

OK, this is the Temporary Insanity forum, so take those functions, take a few speculative steps to get

Artificial voice engine for reading text - Speech/Voice Recognition on PSP?

SonicStage music download system - iTunes and Music Store on PSP?

News download system - Safari RSS?

Calculator function - um, a Calculator!!?

Voice chat function - iChat client?

PSP e-mail software - .mac Mail client?

PSP word processor - iWork compatible?

PSP Web browser - Safari RSS?

PSP schedule software - .mac iCal sync?

Very cool!

Could be nothing, could be something.....

something big?

.mac is down this weekend?!

• Reply 66 of 87
    some more grist for the mill...

http://www.kaisakura.com/iPSP/index.html
  • Reply 67 of 87
    very interesting post, expecially for the sacd thing.

and if sony will start make cell based pc (not workstation only)? remember that cell is ppc, so they can use the most optimized open unix on market: darwin. And consider that is well supported with driver, they can also licensing some tecnology by apple (printer driver expecially) and contribute with they very good engeniers to the develop of this os. on the top level they can use their api (maybe the same of plystation 3) and use openoffice (or the java version neooffice) for desktop work. that will be a bomb in pc industry, at least for me: think an expantion kit for play3 with HD and this sony os....
  • Reply 68 of 87
    Return of the clones?

If anyone can produce a great clone it is sony. Apple will take the MS approach with the OS

It will also mean that the market share for Apple will be significantly in the double numbers.

ooh!

• Reply 69 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Return of the clones?

If anyone can produce a great clone it is sony. Apple will take the MS approach with the OS

It will also mean that the market share for Apple will be significantly in the double numbers.

ooh!

'a great clone' really isn't in Apples interest unless the license fee per box is double the margin of a real box. That's $1800 on a G5 2.5GHz (assuming 30%).

Licensing iApps might make sense though...
  • Reply 70 of 87
    in my idea, is not a clone. think mac os X like a daewin distribution: it has an open base plus closed high level api.

so, sony can make anothe darwin distribution with same base (darwin) but with prprietary api.

the only tecnologi thet need licensing from apple is printer driver that are not kext

maybe sony can licensing sacd and atrac (for sdds movies) to apple.

imagine apple developing an i tunes for sony.. (play 3 and pc)
  • Reply 71 of 87
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Could be nothing, could be something.....

something big?

.mac is down this weekend?!

It WILL be big, Apple are holding special events in their Apple Stores about .Mac on Tuesday night!
  • Reply 72 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

It WILL be big, Apple are holding special events in their Apple Stores about .Mac on Tuesday night!

Can we expect new features from all of this then? I'm tempted to go on Tuesday as the price of .Mac will be £49.95 for a short while. Am I right that getting one of those .Mac boxes can be used as an upgrade at the end of the year?
  • Reply 73 of 87
    if the psp just had a standard dvd drive instead of sony's stupid attempt at the mini disk v.2 It would sell for the portable dvd player function... (I would by it as the screen and battery life are awesome!) and not to mention all the crap people would burn in mpeg 4 format to dvd's to play on it... (or someone might be smart and port vlc)

coughportablesexplayercough.....
  • Reply 74 of 87
    I wonder what this weekend will bring us via .mac?

Tuesday announcement you say?

Tuesdays are good for apple releases. I wonder if any new hardware goodies will be announced.

Still, it is awfully close to the MWSF for new hardware. What if it is direct tie ins to the iWork and ilife suites?

That is my guess. Massive tie ins to the new software.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    Quote:

I wonder what this weekend will bring us via .mac?

Tuesday announcement you say?

Tuesdays are good for apple releases. I wonder if any new hardware goodies will be announced.

Still, it is awfully close to the MWSF for new hardware. What if it is direct tie ins to the iWork and ilife suites?

That is my guess. Massive tie ins to the new software.

Quote:

From the Apple UK Retail page:

.Mac Night - January 25, 7.00 pm

Find out what our .Mac suite of Internet services has to offer. Paul Newman, .Mac enthusiast and editor of iCreate magazine, will be the guest speaker. Purchase .Mac for £49 and save 10% on other Apple Store purchases on the night.

Full Details. Looks just like a tutorial night. We're not getting iLife, iWork and the Mac mini until the following Saturday (29th) though...
  • Reply 76 of 87
    Sony admits they were wrong!!

Sony admits MP3 error

Yuri Kageyama in Tokyo

January 21, 2005

SONY missed out on potential sales from MP3 players and other gadgets because it was overly proprietary about music and entertainment content, the head of the company's video-game unit said.

Ken Kutaragi, president of Sony Computer Entertainment, said he and other Sony employees had been frustrated for years with management's reluctance to introduce products like Apple's iPod, mainly because the Sony had music and movie units that were worried about content rights.

But Sony's divisions were finally beginning to work together and share a common agenda, Mr Kutaragi said at the Foreign Correspondents Club in Tokyo.

"It's just starting," he said. "We are growing up."

Sony officials have rarely publicly said the company's proprietary stance was mistaken.

Mr Kutaragi, who has long been viewed as a candidate to lead Sony, was unusually direct in acknowledging Sony had made an error.

Sony's music players did not initially support MP3 files and only played Sony's own Atrac format.

Sony's technology innovation had been "diluted", Mr Kutaragi said

"We have to concentrate on our original nature - challenging and creating," he said.

Once the powerhouse of global electronics, with success exemplified by its Walkman, Sony has lost some of its glamour lately, losing out in profitability and market share to cheaper Asian rivals.

Mr Kutaragi - known as the "Father of the PlayStation" for making the game machine a pillar of Sony's business - said the new PSP, or PlayStation Portable, handheld will grow into a global platform for enjoying music and movies as well as games.

• Reply 77 of 87
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Wow, something has changed at Sony. To admit this publicly is remarkable.

Screed
  • Reply 79 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Cringley Speculation abou the Mini

BOOM!

and as a little bit of candy I bet you will be able to dump the content onto your PSP!

sssssssswISH!!!

• Reply 80 of 87
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    More speculation...

This one is about Asteroid