The real skinny on the Mac Mini.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Here are the things I would like to know...

1. 2.5" hard drive or 3.5"?

2. AppleWorks or iWork installed?

3. "Up-to-date" program for upgrade to Tiger?

4. Can you open the case to secretly upgrade RAM or hard drive or to install an Airport card without Apple knowing and thus preserve your warranty?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

1. 2.5" hard drive or 3.5"?

2.5", according to some Ars readers reporting from MWSF.

Quote:

2. AppleWorks or iWork installed?

Quote from Apple:

Software

iLife ?05 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand), AppleWorks, Quicken 2005 for Mac, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold and Apple Hardware Test.

Quote:

4. Can you open the case to secretly upgrade RAM or hard drive or to install an Airport card without Apple knowing and thus preserve your warranty?

You'll need a special tool to open the case. A generic screwdriver may do, but I highly doubt it.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    confirmed 2.5" drive

you CANNOT install the Airport/Bluetooth yourself. Only authorized Mac installers. There is a special kit to install the Airport and Bluetooth. Included in the kit is a special mezzanine and antennas. Not for the feint hearted I guess. And I dunno if Apple will sell this kit to end users.

http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcon...05-01-12#10277

For the Ram, I dont see why users will not be able to do it themselves. Aside from the tool you need to open it, the ram looks easy to access.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Um, why is the 512M RAM upgrade $75 and the 1G RAM upgrade more that $400 on the Apple site?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Um, why is the 512M RAM upgrade $75 and the 1G RAM upgrade more that $400 on the Apple site?

Because Apple memory is hand made by orphans.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 42
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Because Apple memory is hand made by orphans.

Damn, this is the best and most palpable explanation I have ever heard. Really, I've heard a hundred but couldn't force myself to believe.

• Reply 7 of 42
    Yeah, I was all like, "wow.. apple is turning a new leaf and offering things semi-affordable"

Then I went to configure it and saw $425 for 1 GB of RAM. The worst part is, thats an UPGRADE price from 256MB. So your really paying $425 for ~768MB. To be fair, 1GB sticks of DDR333 are expensive anywhere you buy them.. but not THAT expensive... I guess thats the downside to having only one RAM slot.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by utsava

Yeah, I was all like, "wow.. apple is turning a new leaf and offering things semi-affordable"

Then I went to configure it and saw $425 for 1 GB of RAM. The worst part is, thats an UPGRADE price from 256MB. So your really paying $425 for ~768MB. To be fair, 1GB sticks of DDR333 are expensive anywhere you buy them.. but not THAT expensive... I guess thats the downside to having only one RAM slot.

You can buy Kingston memory for a hundred dollars less.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I think the reasons - alluded to above - are:

1. Mac mini has only one DIMM slot

(compare to the 1GB upgrade on an eMac: also DDR333, but using two 512MB sticks and therefore 'only' $225)

2. Apple uses upgrades of any form to improve their profit margins (just look at pricing on iPod accessories!)
  • Reply 10 of 42
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    You may be able to buy ram cheaper, but i find it odd macmall is selling the Mac mini and they have NO option to upgrade ram..NONE. No free, no buy extra, no nothing.

So you may buy it, but I think it's hard to install for some mystery reason.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    the point is: Apple KEEPS the 256 original RAM.

You shouldnt be paying for RAM TWICE

And anyway... 400usd is just INSANE for a 1GB Dimm

Bah to you (again and again) for Nazi RAM tactics Apple!!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 42
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    The upgrade to 512 MB isn't bad at $75 -- while you're only getting 256 MB more than the base 256 MB for that price, which isn't so great, if you upgraded yourself you'd still have to pay around $75 for 512 MB, and be left with the old 256 MB module laying about since there's only one RAM slot. (That, and you'd have voided your warranty.)

The 1GB upgrade price is crazy, however. All I can conclude from this is that Apple really doesn't want to you to put 1 GB of RAM in one of these minis. I think they must know it's a crazy price, and hope to convince you to buy up to an eMac or an iMac if you really want that much RAM.

For the kinds of uses a Mac mini is intended, I think 512 MB is fine anyway. I'm seriously thinking of getting a mini to use as a media player in my home theater system, but since my need is not so immediate (I have an EyeHome that, with some annoying interface issues, kinda sorta fills that purpose now), I figure I might as well wait until Mac minis are shipping with Tiger installed.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    WOW! I had hoped I was just being funny when I quipped about the use of a 2.5" drive, but unfortunately it's true. This is beyond awful. It virtually guarantees that the machine will be slow (for a desktop) and have limited storage capacity.

I have to wonder yet again, would it not have been better to build the machine with an 8.5"x8.5" footprint and be able to accomodate regular drives (at least the HDD) user accesible RAM and airport, and a more complete compliment of I/O ports?

The more I think about, the more I think Apple has foolishly handicapped this machine.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

WOW! I had hoped I was just being funny when I quipped about the use of a 2.5" drive, but unfortunately it's true. This is beyond awful. It virtually guarantees that the machine will be slow (for a desktop) and have limited storage capacity.

I have to wonder yet again, would it not have been better to build the machine with an 8.5"x8.5" footprint and be able to accomodate regular drives (at least the HDD) user accesible RAM and airport, and a more complete compliment of I/O ports?

The more I think about, the more I think Apple has foolishly handicapped this machine.

Stop wondering..you got yourself a $499 machine and the things you want would be $699 missing the price point of cheap pc users and switchers looking to change. Handicapped? i don't get it....powerbooks and such must be handicapped? Man can you stop crying for one minute and look at th price? Just curious
  • Reply 15 of 42
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I really hope they include two or three PS/2 adapters in the box. Remember this is the switching machine.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Bah to you (again and again) for Nazi RAM tactics Apple!!!!!

the point is: ...

... er ... pointless.

• Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Nahhh, their just making it as cheap as possible and testing the waters. If it does well, I'm sure they will offer other versions with more features.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

Stop wondering..you got yourself a $499 machine and the things you want would be $699 missing the price point of cheap pc users and switchers looking to change. Handicapped? i don't get it....powerbooks and such must be handicapped? Man can you stop crying for one minute and look at th price? Just curious

HELLO???

laptop parts cost more and are slower...

Desktop parts cost less and are either faster or more capacious.

Does an entry level consumer desktop need portability? NO.

So, Apple has chosen to:

either, A -- make the mini more expensive than it needs to be at a given specification, or

B -- underspecify the machine at a given price...

...all because they had to make it 6.5x6.5x2 instead of 8.5x8.5x2

That is the very definition of handicapping, and it's just stupid. Any laptop is not handicapped for the same reasons, since it uses the parts neccessary to achieve portable computing. Portable computing is NOT part of the wishlist of ANY entry level DESKTOP customer.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I really hope they include two or three PS/2 adapters in the box. Remember this is the switching machine.

Wont help. If thir keyboards didnt include a USB adapter I doubt it would work with one.

You guys should check out my thread about the mini missing its target consumer because you are all making good points about what the mini lacks.

Apple almost always seems to go out of its way to avoid giving consumers bang for their buck. And its so unnecessary also.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Wont help. If thir keyboards didnt include a USB adapter I doubt it would work with one.

I realize that there are keyboards and mice where the keyboards and mice themselves already know how to handle both USB and PS/2, and the adapter doesn't actually do any active conversion of protocols, but I'm also fairly sure that an adapter like this one, for just US $8 actually converts PS/2 signal to USB.

The specifically mentioned use for this adapter is connecting a full-sized keyboard and mouse, both PS/2, to a laptop's USB port, and nothing is mentioned about the keyboard and mouse having to be the kind that came with USB capability.