Apple Mac mini as a new Platform

Comments

• Reply 81 of 123
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Everytime I drop by this thread I get excited. I don't know if Apple ever thought about the "slice" concept, but I'm sure there design teams are working on it now.

Designing stackability into the miniMac involves only the modest aesthetic changes at virtually no cost. In return, Apple opens the door for others to fill in the niches.
  • Reply 82 of 123
    macmikemacmike Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Thanks!

I didn't think I need that many ports, just that this is where the design progression led. I bought one hub that includes 4 USB + 3 Firewire, and when designing the case to put it in, I decided to put in opening for two of them because there was plenty of room, so I can add another one like it later. As it is, I'll leave the back one empty.

I would have been plenty happy with half that many ports on each end, but the part wasn't made that way, and as you said, makes sense to have a little spare capacity. Putting in the time and work for one neat hub slice now beats a mess of hubs later.

Is there enough room for airflow to the mini? Just wanted to make sure that you don't cook it. Looks great.
  • Reply 83 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmike

Is there enough room for airflow to the mini? Just wanted to make sure that you don't cook it. Looks great.

There will be. I haven't finished making the top plate, or rather, I need to remake it now, the first try won't work well for other reasons. As it sits, it is actually sunken. I think I will try to set it up so there will be at least as much air gap. I won't operate it as a stack until all the parts are done anyway.
  • Reply 84 of 123
    Jeff, nice work. Did you machine that a solid slab of aluminium?

Very impressive
  • Reply 85 of 123
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    OK, as the topic starter I'm going to give JeffDM the WIINNAR! for the best slice yet.

Jeff , you actually have a good thing there. Bring it into production and make some money with it!

I suggest bead blasting it to get the Mac mini's look and feel.

GOOD ONE, congratulations.
  • Reply 86 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

OK, as the topic starter I'm going to give JeffDM the WIINNAR! for the best slice yet.

Jeff , you actually have a good thing there. Bring it into production and make some money with it!

I suggest bead blasting it to get the Mac mini's look and feel.

GOOD ONE, congratulations.

Thanks!

I will try some form of blasting.

I do hope to produce this one (I actually made two), and other designs. I've already started the design work on slice #2, hopefully I can post pics of that this weekend.

The problem is, as Bart Smastard suspected, is that the shell is machined from a solid slab of aluminum, short of very high volumes and a large investment, I don't see a good way to bring that cost down and still have the slice look good. I want to price it such them such that they are accessibly priced, but I need to balance that against the time, effort and money to make them. I haven't sent the parts out for quote yet, so maybe I'll be surprised.
  • Reply 87 of 123
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

OK, as the topic starter I'm going to give JeffDM the WIINNAR! for the best slice yet.....

Shure, give HIM the prize, just because he didn't make it in PhotoShop
  • Reply 88 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Thanks!

I will try some form of blasting.

I do hope to produce this one (I actually made two), and other designs. I've already started the design work on slice #2, hopefully I can post pics of that this weekend.

The problem is, as Bart Smastard suspected, is that the shell is machined from a solid slab of aluminum, short of very high volumes and a large investment, I don't see a good way to bring that cost down and still have the slice look good. I want to price it such them such that they are accessibly priced, but I need to balance that against the time, effort and money to make them. I haven't sent the parts out for quote yet, so maybe I'll be surprised.

Putting on my old Fitter and Turners hat: The best way to make it cheaply from a solid slab would be to use CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machining - AKA CADCAM. Program it once and let the machine go for it's life. Unfortunately, a lot of aluminium would be wasted in machining out the guts of the slice.

Another option would be to stamp it from a sheet of say 1.2mm thickness (which is probably what Apple do... well the guys who make it for them - but you get what I mean).

It depends on the level of market you'd want. Use sheet ali if you want every Mac mini owner out there to buy one, machine it from a slab if you're happy to cater for a smaller more selective crowd.

I'm sure they'll be plenty of competitors in this market so maybe having something a bit different would capture some of the flair Apple users demand.

Good luck
  • Reply 89 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

sunilraman, you get the prize for being first (or at least early) with the visual concept. I saw your slice pic only a week or two after Steve presented the mini. I was impressed back then and I still am.
  • Reply 90 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Yep, extra bonus points for actually making one in the physical sense.

But he is only the current winner in the real category. Bot I'll give your entry a blue ribbon for Photochop entrants.

And Jeff, I didn't realize that was machined from a solid piece of aluminum. I'd be interested in seeing some shots of the interior of your slice. I hope you left air channels in there for air to flow up into the mini's air passages.

What about a variable speed fan or blower in their to pump ait up into the mini? Might be a selling point, and cheap to add compared to the machining costs.

Did you think about bending sheet aluminum around a form? I'm sure that's what Apple's supplier does to create the mini. It's got to be cheaper than even CNC controlled milling of a solid slab.
  • Reply 91 of 123
    Well, I was thinking of learning some new skills, moving beyond PotatoChop graphics stuff...

First you gotta have a workshop or a shed or somethin right? And some power tools...

I'll start by watching some old reruns of HomeImprovement with Tim Allen

Nah it's cool Aph, you had some kick ass mock-ups and you did start this thread afterall... Hurrah for everybody!!!!

wait a minute, these aren't cigarettes....
  • Reply 92 of 123
    From what I've seen inside the mini's top shell, Apple used an extrusion with some secondary machining.

I have access to a CNC machine, using it is part of what I do for a living. What I will do is negotiate a discount rate to get me going to work up the volume.
  • Reply 93 of 123
    My first post !!

Bring your own display, keyboard and mouse

What about speakers?

Just a bit of 3d design work i decided to do, rendering isnt brill but:

2 x 90cm floorstanding speakers

1 x 40cm stand

1 x sound module (amplifier) with all cpntols via a remote and itunes

1 x mac mini which is the one on top.

oh and not forgetting the apple 30inch cinema display.

i think the modules should be as blank as possible at the front so as not to spoil the effect.

And i dont even have a mac mini.

• Reply 94 of 123
    mini slices

They aren't terribly profound but look useful. Not much information there yet, so who knows if they exist yet or not.
  • Reply 95 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

mini slices

They aren't terribly profound but look useful. Not much information there yet, so who knows if they exist yet or not.

It would be nice if there was some decent information. Or any information at all. I would like to add a hard drive but I don't know if I want to deal with making a drive enclosure yet.

Another to add to the collection:

If it's not obvious, it is a flash memory card reader.

I'm making some progress.
  • Reply 96 of 123
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If the volumes for the mini stay strong, I can see Apple exploring some of these possibilities in house.

What's important to Apple is control of the user experience and peripheral specifications. Having a bunch of power cords running into the mini won't do, and any slices that add more than simple port multiplication may need more power than firewire/usb can provide. Also, poorly designed peripherals that turn the mini into a kludge (at best) or that could possibly short the mini or cause it to malfunction (at worst) will have to be guarded against.

To that end, I can see Apple re-jigging the mini slightly for a proprietary bottom connector, something that uses FW800 protocol, but adds extra power. With the mini's external PS this is easily done. It would force 'licenced' periperal makers (and end users) to conform to a few basic specificatons, define how slices are to be joined together, and ensure that add-ons are highly integrated in look, feel, and operation. Regular USB2 or FW400 devices would be just that, peripherals. Slices, OTOH, would be a higher order presence in the eco-system of the mini brand, much like iPod peripheral makers exploit a specialized connector exclusive to the iPod.
  • Reply 97 of 123
    I agree with Matsu that some sort of bottom facing external bus would be ideal for a future rev. My ThinkPad has a dock connector built right into the bottom that plugs in with cone shaped guide pins.

Something like that would be perfect for stacking slices. My own idea is for a "power slice" that contains a power supply for the mini, replacing the brick, and a bay for a standard Powerbook battery. It would not only be a UPS for the attached mini, but also serve as a charger for your Powerbook's batteries.

Build in a mount for a standard 3.5" HD and throw in some USB and Firewire ports and it would truely be a Power Slice.
  • Reply 98 of 123
    i want a FireWire400 dual-layer (8.5GB) DVD-R burner slice
  • Reply 99 of 123
    i'm gonna bump this thread: (mods, this could go to insider lounge since mac mini is no longer 'future' hardware )

check this out peoples:

"DVD Studio Pro 4, Final Cut Studio?s professional DVD authoring program, is the first commercially available DVD authoring software that lets users burn their HD projects to high definition DVDs based on the latest HD DVD specification. DVD Studio Pro 4 will be demonstrated at NAB with a prototype consumer HD DVD player from Toshiba set to debut later this year. Distributed encoding tools included in DVD Studio Pro 4 tap the power of networked Macintosh® computers to dramatically reduce encoding time for high definition projects. DVD Studio Pro 4 also includes support for mixed formats and advanced scripting for the most sophisticated commercial titles."

now we've discussed why you might buy say 2 powermac g5s instead of 5 mac minis...

but right now living with my family, we're always trying to juggle *ahem* fight over our one iBook. imagine if you had 3-5 wirelessly networked Mac Minis around the house, because each person in the house kinda 'needed' their own Mac. now you can tap into this sort of "distributed render/encoding farm"... nice potential on the hobby/pro-sumer side.

apple is waaaay ahead on the curve with this h.264 and HD, they're really going after the Pro video market, notably to boost their somewhat ailing powermac g5 line \

remember that with DVD Studio Pro 4 you can burn HD content to a regular ol' DVD that complies to the HD-DVD spec.
  • Reply 100 of 123
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The Revolution has begun.