Apple Mac mini as a new Platform

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    nice

come on, come on, someone come out with a h.264 encode/decode mac mini module.... for us poor bastards with G4s....
  • Reply 102 of 123
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

The Revolution has begun.

It had to happen. And this thread is relevant to future hardware because it is all about future slices. The above image is not even the first, just the first commercially available slice product.

Kudos to Micro Net for the mini Mate.

• Reply 103 of 123
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    > Kudos to Micro Net for the mini Mate.

Yes. Very nice looking unit. The 80 GB model appears overpriced, but all the others are right in there with external drives that don't offer USB and FireWire, and extra ports,. Only one minor gripe: no ports on the front.

Interesting that they only claim 50 MB/s transfer rate on the FireWire connection. Shouldn't that be higher?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 104 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

> Kudos to Micro Net for the mini Mate.

Yes. Very nice looking unit. The 80 GB model appears overpriced, but all the others are right in there with external drives that don't offer USB and FireWire, and extra ports,. Only one minor gripe: no ports on the front.

Interesting that they only claim 50 MB/s transfer rate on the FireWire connection. Shouldn't that be higher?

I don't believe for a second that the cost absurd for the base model. A USB + Firewire combined hub costs $50 (separately, $20 for USB and $30 for a Firewire). A good firewire/USB drive enclosure costs $50, you can get pretty sad looking ones for less, but MicroNet's model looks nice. An 80GB hard drive costs about $60. It's still equal or less than the sum of the parts, and so far it might be kind of a niche product, designed to look right with a single particular computer model.

It is impossible to GET more than 50MB/sec on Firewire 400. The 400 in Firewire 400 is 400 Megabits per second, which translates to 50 MegaBytes per second (1 byte / 8 bits 400/8 = 50). You probably won't see even that data rate though because of overheads and such.
  • Reply 105 of 123
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

It's still equal or less than the sum of the parts...

It does seem to be worth the money.

But it makes you ask the question: How much would adding another chip have cost?

If they had added another chip, they could have put a USB and FW port on the front, along with maybe a couple more on the back.

Then the product would have been a must have, as opposed to just a good buy.

---

Can a mod fix the photo above so the page renders correctly? Thanks!
  • Reply 106 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

But it makes you ask the question: How much would adding another chip have cost?

If they had added another chip, they could have put a USB and FW port on the front, along with maybe a couple more on the back.

Then the product would have been a must have, as opposed to just a good buy.

[/B]

You do have a good point. I want ports on the front, so far the commercially released products haven't provided. I've always thought it annoying to have to reach around a computer to plug something in. I've liked the fact that more computers have ports on the front, many of Apple's designs seem to have sacrificed a lot of convenience for prized prettyness. If anything, if they want a clean front, at least put the jacks on the side. Having all the jacks on the back on products like mini and iMac seemed short-sighted, I do like that the Powerbooks have jacks on the side edges.
  • Reply 107 of 123
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    I want a G5 slice
  • Reply 108 of 123
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

I don't believe for a second that the cost absurd for the base model. A USB + Firewire combined hub costs $50 (separately, $20 for USB and $30 for a Firewire). A good firewire/USB drive enclosure costs $50, you can get pretty sad looking ones for less, but MicroNet's model looks nice. An 80GB hard drive costs about $60. It's still equal or less than the sum of the parts, and so far it might be kind of a niche product, designed to look right with a single particular computer model.

Not absurd, just over-priced compared to the other models - or the other models are a REALLY good deal. Even though I don't own a mini, if/when I get another external drive, I'll definitely take a close look at these things. The mini is a nice looking case, and these have a nice looking case.

Quote:

It is impossible to GET more than 50MB/sec on Firewire 400. The 400 in Firewire 400 is 400 Megabits per second, which translates to 50 MegaBytes per second (1 byte / 8 bits 400/8 = 50). You probably won't see even that data rate though because of overheads and such.

Thanks. I was just too lazy to do the math.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 109 of 123
    And now there is this:

PlasticSmith MiniShack
  • Reply 110 of 123
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

You do have a good point. I want ports on the front...

So just turn it around
  • Reply 111 of 123

The Mac mini Pod

Technical Specifications:

3 USB 2.0 High Speed Ports (Hub)

3 Firewire Ports

Interactive Cooling System (Heat Sink & Auto Sensing Smart Fan)

Supports any 3.5" Hard Drive (ATA 6 Compatible)

External Power Adapter

Looks like they are starting to add up. This one lets you choose your own 3.5" hard drive.
  • Reply 112 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

So just turn it around

To clarify, I'd want to add ports on the front and the back. And not to have cables wrap around.
  • Reply 113 of 123
    pdubyupdubyu Posts: 13member
    These new hard drive slices for the mini are great. Port and hard drive expansion aren't issues anymore. (Still hoping for a built-in optical port though.)

Does anyone know if the hard drives are connected via USB or Firewire?
  • Reply 114 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by pdubyu

Does anyone know if the hard drives are connected via USB or Firewire?

The drive works with either connection. Using only USB, though, enables only the USB hub; vice versa with FireWire. If you use both connections, the FireWire bus takes priority.

How long until Elgato releases an EyeTV Mini slice? I'd love one of those with a built-in hard drive.
  • Reply 115 of 123
    rustedborgrustedborg Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

And now there is this:

PlasticSmith MiniShack

I like this, but I'd only be willing to buy it if it offered BOTH USB and Firewire ports ... I need more of both, not just USB.

Still, very nice.
  • Reply 116 of 123
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

I like this, but I'd only be willing to buy it if it offered BOTH USB and Firewire ports ... I need more of both, not just USB.

Still, very nice.

Belkin has what you want for $49.95. No pictures yet.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/05...lkin/index.php
  • Reply 117 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Belkin has what you want for $49.95. No pictures yet.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/05...lkin/index.php

Here's one:

• Reply 118 of 123
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Apparently, our Mods are temporarily on vacation. When they return, I'm sure they'll get around to my previous request...

---------------

As for the latest new "slice", it's clear that these things are getting better at an ever faster rate. It's not quite the iPod accessory market, but it's getting there.

With regard to the hub issue, I'm thinking we definitely need a 5 or six port Firewire Hub slice.

The combo hubs seem to only give you one or two ports more at the most.

Methinks a 7 port USB slice along with a 5 port Firewire slice would be the best choice for the long term.
  • Reply 119 of 123
    thats interesting... the mac mini being a server and such.. never thought of it in that sense.. hmm... something to ponder on w/ ideas... but i would need a bigger music collection.. hmm... more ideas coming.... thanks take care all...
  • Reply 120 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

My first post !!

Bring your own display, keyboard and mouse

What about speakers?

Just a bit of 3d design work i decided to do, rendering isnt brill but:

2 x 90cm floorstanding speakers

1 x 40cm stand

1 x sound module (amplifier) with all cpntols via a remote and itunes

1 x mac mini which is the one on top.

oh and not forgetting the apple 30inch cinema display.

i think the modules should be as blank as possible at the front so as not to spoil the effect.

And i dont even have a mac mini.

nice drawings, look like auto cad.. nice...