Apple's HD future, the mini-mac, the big change

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 162
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Okay, I'll waste a little more time. Thanks for that photo, sunilraman.

That is the kind of set up, with a possible PS/2 or whatever the old PC keyboard thing was called should be in a case in every Mac store to show people what is possible and to show elegant solutions to percieved problems with the Mini.

That one photo or ones like it, not just the cool photoshop dreams in these fora, can explode the idea of "but it isn't expandible...(whine)!" Talk about expandible! And with FW and BT and USB you can add or subtract to the Mini without alot of cables (my initial criticism). In this respect, why would a cheap PC box with mostly empty slots be better? With the Mac mini (and sufficient RAM) you don't NEED to open the dang thing anyway!

Apple just needs to subsidies bundles of extras for those who don 't know how to set up their new Mac. Genius Bars need to be Solutions Bars.

Actually with the Mini, I would be excited to be a 3rd party solutions company for consumers and business!!! THAT may be the ecosystem of real promise for Apple, not just the iPod ecosystem.
  • Reply 162 of 162
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Okay, I'll waste a little more time. Thanks for that photo, sunilraman.

That is the kind of set up, with a possible PS/2 or whatever the old PC keyboard thing was called should be in a case in every Mac store to show people what is possible and to show elegant solutions to percieved problems with the Mini.

That one photo or ones like it, not just the cool photoshop dreams in these fora, can explode the idea of "but it isn't expandible...(whine)!" Talk about expandible! And with FW and BT and USB you can add or subtract to the Mini without alot of cables (my initial criticism). In this respect, why would a cheap PC box with mostly empty slots be better? With the Mac mini (and sufficient RAM) you don't NEED to open the dang thing anyway!

Apple just needs to subsidies bundles of extras for those who don 't know how to set up their new Mac. Genius Bars need to be Solutions Bars.

Actually with the Mini, I would be excited to be a 3rd party solutions company for consumers and business!!! THAT may be the ecosystem of real promise for Apple, not just the iPod ecosystem.

*sigh* now this thread is back on track

i totally agree. i would go a bit further and call Genius Bars "Apple Enlightenment Zone" because with some people, you can really almost see that light bulb turn on on top of their heads when they go, "you mean you don't have to run anti-spyware everyday?" or "you mean you can use Word and Excel on this?"

in defense of the photoshop blue-sky dreaming, we've always needed dreamers... the Mac mini started with a dream... the dream of a low cost, headless ... *ah f8ck it i'll stop spanking off now*

umm... my point was, yeah, the 3rd-party-Apple-ecosystem like Mini slices could very well be the bridge to the common Windoze users and set aside a lot of expandability concerns. a FW400 7200rpm hard disk slice 200GB/300GB/400GB would go a long way to addressing the 'hard disk too small/slow/etc" concerns