a Spreadsheet.app in iWork?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

AppleWorks had fairly solid functionality across the board.

As one of the people who kept clamoring for an update to AppleWorks, I should admit the app was just old, not broken.

I would have been happy with an update that kept the same functionality intact, but was built in Cocoa and used Mac OS X technologies along with some spruced up icons.

The fact that fonts didn't show as cleanly in Appleworks - along with the problem of not having access to OS X's transparency features - was the main reason the app felt old and unusable.

I was never under any illusion that Apple was going to compete head to head with Office. I don't need most of those high-end features anyway.

But now that we've been given a "replacement" for Appleworks that's clearly incomplete and changes the file format, I'm wondering how much better off we are in the productivity arena. At least until 2006.

Keynote 2 is an advanced app, much better than PowerPoint, Pages doesn't seem to compete with Word though, more with publisher. The £50 for iWorks is worth it for Keynote 2 alone.