eMac and PowerBook declared EOL

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

I've just read that the eMac SuperDrive and the PowerBook appearantly have been declared EOL. At least this is, what Hardmac/Mac Bidouille are saying...

link

So, how long does it usually take from an Apple product being declared EOL until new models are revealed?

Greetings,

durandal

Comments

• Reply 1 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by durandal

Hey all,

I've just read that the eMac SuperDrive and the PowerBook appearantly have been declared EOL. At least this is, what Hardmac/Mac Bidouille are saying...

link

So, how long does it usually take from an Apple product being declared EOL until new models are revealed?

Greetings,

durandal

Well, I can't answer that question. I would like to point out, though, that Bidouille is far from the most reliable site on Macintosh happenings. That said, I think there's a good chance of what they're saying being true, so the first half of this year may have something for you.

But why just the eMac SuperDrive model? Are they really going to leave the Combo variant alone if this is a sign of an eMac update?
  • Reply 2 of 315
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

Well, I can't answer that question. I would like to point out, though, that Bidouille is far from the most reliable site on Macintosh happenings.

there was a time that they had an excellent track record, though.

just curious: does this mean eMac G5?
  • Reply 3 of 315
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

there was a time that they had an excellent track record, though.

just curious: does this mean eMac G5?

i doubt it. it means imac and mini for consumers and say bye bye to emac. Jobs hates crt's.
  • Reply 4 of 315
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yes, it also means a $999 Combo-drive 17" LCD iMac. This way you walk into the Apple store looking for a Mini, the salesman gives you time to ponder the extra costs (keyboard, mouse, display) some of the limitations (RAM, HDD, G4)

Then he points you over to the iMac section where for just a little more, you get a nice display, a new keyboard and mouse, better drive options, and this "supercomputer" fast G5...
  • Reply 5 of 315
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Mm, gotta be careful with bait and switch tactics though. \ Not that the iMac won't land in this position, just that the salesperson can't be the one to force the issue.
  • Reply 6 of 315
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I always wondered how that can be enforced. So long as the advertised product is available for purchase, there can't be too much harm in pointing out the merits of a more expensive product... I think bait and switch refers to smarmier practices/high pressure tactics, but really iDunno.

I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of strategy is already being communicated through Apple's own retail directors...
  • Reply 7 of 315
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Yes, it also means a $999 Combo-drive 17" LCD iMac. ...

Whoa, I sure hope so! That would be a sweet-spot product if I ever saw one. And, as usual, Matsu, I agree totally. The PB EOL just means the speed-bumps are around the corner, no big excitement there.
  • Reply 8 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by durandal

Hey all,

link

Greetings,

durandal

The fact that one shop in France isn't getting any more stock isn't exactly conclusive of an imminent update is it? Sure, I expect a PowerBook update soon, but I don't think this info proves much if only one retail outlet is saying this.
  • Reply 9 of 315
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    B and S is advertising one thing (bait) to get the customer in the store and instead only having a more expensive item to sell (switch). It is advertising that men's shirts are up to 70% off. Yet on arrival, the customer only finds 10% off tags. It is the car dealer that advertises that they are offering the 05' Explorer for $17,000. But when you arrive to buy one, they have just sold out of the special deal Explorer's but offer you the same vehicle at $25,000. It is the airline that offers the $99 round trip fair but fails to mention that price was only for one seat on the plane. Your fair will actually be $399. Get the idea?

The Mm does not come anywhere near this category because it is not presented as a complete system. It is a "BYODKM". B and S would only become a problem if Apple started advertising that their stores carried complete systems starting a $499 then steering customers to the e/iMac.
  • Reply 10 of 315
    It's not just the reported EOL that is making people expect an update.

Powerbooks simply aren't shipping at the moment - even at the US Apple Online Store, try and stick so much as an extra 256mb of RAM in one and it will only ship in 7-10 days.

In other Apple online stores, Powerbooks won't ship at all without a delay.

Apple are only willing to sell you a PB in the US if they can get it out the door same-day.

An update does appear rather imminent ...
  • Reply 11 of 315
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spin dr bob

An update does appear rather imminent ...

Gott I hope so! I needed a PB yesterday.

Please Apple: PB with better screen res and a faster FSB!!!
  • Reply 12 of 315
    This really stinks, if this is the end of the eMac line. I'm not a LCD fan (I don't like paying more for a screen I don't need, just because it looks neat). I was looking forward to a G5 eMac, as it seemed the best price/performance model offered by Apple. I'm very dissapointed if it doesn't come back, I liked the design, and some improved specs would have sealed the deal for me. Now I don't know if or how I'll make the switch to Macs for the next school year. The iMacs costs to much for me, and I don't like the design. Oh well, maybe I'll make enough cash to buy a Powerbook, but still, this is a major bummer for me.
  • Reply 13 of 315
    I still think this is more then a little bump (rev d.) I am hoping they have stuck the freescale 7448 in it and have redesigned the whole line. However, logic would tell me that they would have came out with that at Macworld last week if that was the case. It sure is disappointing. Sure it's a fine machine if you want to by the current version, but it's dated and due for upgrade...frustrating. I'm in limbo because I need one but can survive with my 867 tiBook. I am just longing for a superdrive, usb 1.1, 802.11g, and faster memory. Bring on the Dual Core and call it a G5 so we will all be happy...
  • Reply 14 of 315
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Can anyone offer any info on the 7448? All i know is that the 7448 is supposed to have a 200mhz bus. Any freescale documents on it?

okay so I did some research... the 7448 is supposed to have a 1MB L2 cache and be manufactured at the 90µ process as well as have a 200mhz bus. The question is whether it's possible freescale could be able to ship them to apple so soon. I mean it is first quarter but seems too soon. Any word from freescale?
  • Reply 15 of 315
    farvefarve Posts: 69member
    Swedish Apple store now has a 9-11 day shipping satus on all standard powerbooks. New PB's are coming real soon

Viktor
  • Reply 16 of 315
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Any word from freescale?

Nothing more than what was already known: sampling 1H-05 and production 2H-05 for the 7448; and sampling 2H-05 and production 1H-06 for the 8641 and 8641D. It is still too early it seems. That's why Freescale produced this marginally faster 7447B.
  • Reply 17 of 315
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    New PowerBooks will likely come on or after February 1st.
  • Reply 18 of 315
    From what I heard only the superdrive model emac has been eol'ed. My guess is it will recieve a faster g4 or maybe, but very unlikey, a g5. Then the current models will just slide down the heap. No idea when this will happen.
  • Reply 19 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Yes, it also means a $999 Combo-drive 17" LCD iMac.

Just as I wean myself off the market this year. But that'd be hard to do so early in this iMac's existence, wouldn't it? Maybe $1,049 or $1,099 instead, but any of the three prices would be a welcome addition to the line.
  • Reply 20 of 315
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Nothing more than what was already known: sampling 1H-05 and production 2H-05 for the 7448; and sampling 2H-05 and production 1H-06 for the 8641 and 8641D. It is still too early it seems. That's why Freescale produced this marginally faster 7447B.

I find it highly probably that i just couldn't find these dates in the document, but LOL nevertheless I couldn't find the dates you mentioned. I also see no mention of the 7447B in these documents. A google search doesn't seem to pull up a single listing under a freescale domain name that has anything to do with the 7447B. How did the rumors regarding the B first start anyway?