eMac and PowerBook declared EOL

Comments

• Reply 121 of 315
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

it's the same chip so i doubt it, the new dual core apparently use 200MHZ - not a lot better. What does the FSB actually do?

These are the bus speeds for Freescale's mobile G4 processors:

The 7447 is 167 MHz

The 7448 is 200 MHz

The 8641 is 667 MHz

Current PowerBooks use the 7447 and it is rumored that the updated PowerBooks will use a 7447B variant at 167 MHz as well. The 7448 is most likely not ready yet though miracle or miracles it could be ahead of schedule. Doubtful though.
  • Reply 122 of 315
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

These are the bus speeds for Freescale's mobile G4 processors:

The 7447 is 167 MHz

The 7448 is 200 MHz

The 8641 is 667 MHz

Current PowerBooks use the 7447 and it is rumored that the updated PowerBooks will use a 7447B variant at 167 MHz as well. The 7448 is most likely not ready yet though miracle or miracles it could be ahead of schedule. Doubtful though.

667 MHz now that's a proper bus!
  • Reply 123 of 315
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

What does the FSB actually do? [/B]

This is the system that allows teh cpu to talk to other components such as Ram. The slower the communication with ram the less it can calculate each cpu instruction execution. To me this is more important on PPC chips (RISC) since their cpu executions are less complicated than x86 (CISC). They are executed faster, but it needs to be read from ram more to do the same execution on x86. RISC is usually faster, but it can be bottlenecked this way.
  • Reply 124 of 315
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Supposedly (according to the 20-page! Macnn pb thread) there may be something to the fact that the powerbook software page Shows iLife 05 preinstalled while the store shows iLife 04 preinstalled. The implications are obvious. Anyone else know someone at a "university store" that knows a whole bunch about "big pb news tomorrow"?

--B
  • Reply 125 of 315
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

The stickers have been up for a week or two. Check pb threads at the macnn and macrumors forums.

Or don't. It's all pretty much OMG!!! What could this mean!!! OMG!!!!

--B

not so much OMG! WTF! for me today, but i am annoyed that how can Apple Australia claim these to be "NEW" isnt that misleading?
  • Reply 126 of 315
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

not so much OMG! WTF! for me today, but i am annoyed that how can Apple Australia claim these to be "NEW" isnt that misleading?

This is 9 months old, now. And it's the 1st thing you see on the US Powerbook page.

--B

• Reply 127 of 315
    at what local time is apple usually updating its store ?

10am ? 11am ? in each country
  • Reply 128 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Supposedly (according to the 20-page! Macnn pb thread) there may be something to the fact that the powerbook software page Shows iLife 05 preinstalled while the store shows iLife 04 preinstalled. The implications are obvious. Anyone else know someone at a "university store" that knows a whole bunch about "big pb news tomorrow"?

--B

That's because there are no software pages on iLife '04. They've just replaced the links, they've done this with other hardware.
  • Reply 129 of 315
    So.......

What time are you banking on today for the update? It better be today. I can't wait any longer
  • Reply 130 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

So.......

What time are you banking on today for the update? It better be today. I can't wait any longer

I reckon before 2200 GMT, but you never know. It's now 1200 so 10 hours to go!

Seriously I expect it to be the same time as yesterday's announcement. 1420
  • Reply 131 of 315
    hi

i'm in France so if something happens, it will happen an hour after you

announcement ? yesterday ? which one ? sorry but i missed the info
  • Reply 132 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

hi

i'm in France so if something happens, it will happen an hour after you

announcement ? yesterday ? which one ? sorry but i missed the info

it was a quarter of a billion songs yesterday. I reckon if the announcement is made it'll be any time between now and 2200 (2300 for you)
  • Reply 133 of 315
    Quote:

it was a quarter of a billion songs yesterday. I reckon if the announcement is made it'll be any time between now and 2200 (2300 for you)

Well, 1420 GMT hasn't happened... let's hope for 1420 in Cupertino (2220 GMT)
  • Reply 134 of 315
    none of the previous updates of the french store occured during the evening nor at night

it happened between 11am and 2pm

nothing today so we can consider it dead for today

perhaps next tuesday ? \
  • Reply 135 of 315
    i predict tuesday 28th of June
  • Reply 136 of 315
    If it doesn't come within 2 hours (by 9PM PST), it's not coming today.
  • Reply 137 of 315
    What? It's not even 7AM in Cupertino. I bet Jobs hasn't even put on the money making jeans and turtleneck yet.

Give them till noon at least, before swearing it off.

Everyone is abandoning hope already? Geez, what is this, the reformation?

-ST
  • Reply 138 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShallowThroat

What? It's not even 7AM in Cupertino. I bet Jobs hasn't even put on the money making jeans and turtleneck yet.

-ST

I have hope!
  • Reply 139 of 315
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

If it doesn't come within 2 hours (by 9PM PST), it's not coming today.

No, if it doesn't come between 8:00 am and 9:00 am Eastern Time, it will no t happen. This is ALWAYS the way it has worked, UNLESS Steve is doing a special presentation or a keynote.
  • Reply 140 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShallowThroat

-ST

I heard similar posts last week, and it never came

We are becoming more confident with each week that passes, but the result is always the same. I want my Powerbook!